INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: First Tad kill, long story and trail  (Read 3776 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
First Tad kill, long story and trail
« on: December 11, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
After a fruitless archery season, and rifle (I have not gone over to the bow only mode) I decided to try with my new recurve again in an expanded archery zone in the town of Rockland.  This is an archery only zone that opened for an extended season to try to control the deer population in a heavily developed town. My buddy had been scouting the property we had permission to hunt, and a scrape had been freshened near the tree we scouted in Sept..  He took his first deer, a big 4 point from, that tree as well as a small spike. When I set up a single line of tracks that looked like a good buck passed in front of the tree and headed into the thick cover bordering the property we have permission to hunt. As sunset approached I turned to face the area I thought the deer would come from. At 4:10 up pops a nice deer and walks down to me. I can see his body and antlers clearly against the snow on the ground. I am set up to shoot to my left with my right shoulder leaning on the tree as he pops up at 12:00 to the direction I am facing. He walks directly at me and hits a point where he can angle left (perfect) or right (not so perfect), he turns right.  I start to move my arrow over some tiny branches from a neighboring tree, lightly hitting a tiny branch. At the sound he stops 8 yards from the base of the tree, looks around and then look up at me. He stares for about 30 seconds, drops his head and turns right. As he looks up at me I can see the white rings around his eyes and nose, and ten points on his rack.  He takes a couple of steps and I draw to anchor and release as he steps into a shooting lane. I see and hear the arrow hit, a little further back than I wanted, but he is sharply quartering away and the arrow is headed for the opposite shoulder. He runs off, stops looks back and walks away. After getting down and meeting my buddy who was just down the hill from me we went back to the shot site and track him to where he starts walking.  He walks up a four wheeler trail and heads to a thick power line full of brush and juniper.  Since there is no blood yet we decided to back out for 4 hours.  

When we got back we trailed him for 200 yards, with very little blood, except if he bumped into a tree or sapling. Thank goodness for the snow.  I had a little trouble when he used the same trail as some does, but was able to work out where he separated.  He crossed a big yard and road on a run. On the other side of the road we found good blood, but decided to back out considering how far he had come and the fact that he was running. I don't think we pushed him as he had never stopped or bedded down after the initial hit.

With two hours of sleep under my belt I finally got up at four and diddled around until I had to pick up my buddy and son at six. We headed back and got in to the woods at 6:45. It had snowed about a 1/4 inch during the night and made it tough to follow the track, especially with a fair number of doe tracks weaving through the woods. We finally started to hit good blood we could see through the snow. We tracked him to his bed which was about 400 yards from the hit site. He had gotten up and kept going. I was not sure why, there were doe tracks near by and some coyote tracks.  the trail wa fairly easy to follow as he must have been moving near the end of the snow.  I began to worry when any time we lost the track it was easy to find by looping onto one of the four sets of coyote tracks. After four hours of tracking we found him. A beautiful 10 pointer that would have dressed out in the 180's. Problem is the better set of trackers had gotten there first and left nothing but the head, neck and one shoulder. I was able to salvage a couple of sections of backstrap as well, the skin, head and neck. Not much to show up with at the tagging station. The total track was about 8/10 of mile from hit site to where we found him.  I would never have been able to track him with out the snow.  I wish I had gotten to him before the coyotes, but I don't regret backing out and giving him more time.

The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Tad kill, long story and trail
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
Good job and good on you for not just leaving the rest for the coyotes.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Good Job a true Sportsman ,,, Up here in canada we too have a coyote problem with wounded deer the dogs seem to get as many wounded deer as us ,it is a hard call to not find a less than perfectly hit deer right away as you know the coyotes will probably find it before you ...But we never give up , sometimes we even claim our trophy before the dogs ,,
Gord

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
Congrats on your buck.    :thumbsup:  

Sounds like a couple coyote pelts would look good hang'n next to his rack.  ;)
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Blackhat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
"When Bows shoot faster than 300 fps it ain't called Bowhunting no more!"

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Congrats i hate coyotes   :clapper:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline Blasterjdh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Well done - sorry to hear about the coyotes
EOD Motto: Initial Success or Total Failure

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Congrats on a VERY nice buck!!!  Good trackin!!  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Congrats way to stick with it! Last season I killed a Doe on opening day a 45 minutes before last light, took my stand down, went back to my truck, dropped off my gear, came back to drag the Doe out, the Coyotes got to her in a half hour. She died 45 yards from my stand. They did a number on her, I do a lot of Coyote hunting now a days, good fun!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
We moved him and flipped him over to take the picts.  The side facing the camera was the one on the ground, so the yotes only ate down to the skin.  It is amazing what 9 or ten coyotes can do in a short amount of time.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
Nice job, Mike. Do  you ever get to the Poke and Hope shoot in Durham? If not you are missing out on a great event.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
Nicw job. Congrats.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
Bill I have not.  I will watch for it.  When does it usually occur?
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine buck. Way to stick with it.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
That's a heck of a way to kick off your 1st trad kill!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
Great story and a great Buck.   :clapper:   I'm  glad you found him. Darn 'yotes we have them here in Jersey too.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
Nice job!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©