INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Pigs in the 'hood. . . A Trashwood / Wingnut adventure. 200+ .pig pics added pg4  (Read 10016 times)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
oh yea I have been meaning to put out some raspberry jello.  I understand the Caujans boyz (if ya can understand caujans   :)   ) put dry raspbeery jello on a old log or stump and just let it soak in over time?????? supposed to attack 'em pigs   :)  

most of the time I just listen to 'em smiling and nodding.  after they leave wingnut tells me what they said   :)  

rusty -only speaks Texan- Craine

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Yep I think that is "big momma's" track.  don't want to shoot her.  But there are a couple of boars cruisin around that need to be culled.  The track I saw of the lone boar yesterday morning was like a calf elk.  That's the one I want.

More too come.  And yep I do speak multiple langages ( Texan, Cajun, New Yark, and Washingtonian.)

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Knock knock

who's there?

http://sites.google.com/site/stringwalkerbowhunter/trailcam

it was not the three little pigs

rusty

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
That last one is SCARY!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rsuty is on his way out to the lease to freshen the feeders.  I was supposed to go but am coming down with something.  Not good!!

Maybe we have another adventure in the works.

LOL

MIke
Mike Westvang

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
boy nice evening.  this may be a strange statment byt I am not a pig hunter  :) .  usuaally I find a bunch of tracks and pigs signs.  I carry a three legged stool and set hidden till they find me.  I do have a question for the serious pig hunters????

the other day when Wingnut and I found the pigs and the wind swirled around I heard a pig blow/sheeze just like a deer does when they smell ya.  I was shorter in duration but the exact same sound.  I have not hunted a lot of different places for pigs, maybe a couple of states and maybe a dozen or so different places but have never heard the pig wheeze before???? or at that I recall

wingnut and I were wonder if it is just this one pig we think it is coming from or have you heard pigs blow like deer????

rusty

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rusty...We raised hogs back when I was a kid and they make all kinds of noises.....especially with the proper application of a BB in the right spot  :D
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
anyway the pigs had found the feeder.  it getts dark back in there quickly so I just put another bag in and set on my three legged stool.  I watched the sun finish setting nice sun set.  didn't hear or see any pigs.

got up to go.  was sneaking out, almost to road when I heard the short sneeze/wheeze again.  I bought a grunter call to try out. had not used one before.  a serious pig hunter friend recommended a Haydel's wild hog call BH-92.  he advice was to use it softly when they were close.  1) use call to calm them down if they thought sumpin was up   2). make them curious who the new guy is so they will come and look.  

when I heard the sneeze I dropped to one knee and gave 2 oe 3 soft "boy live is good" grunts.  i'll be danged....in 30 seconds or so I could see him coming around the conner of the middle road 20 yds up wind of me.....that didn't last long.  he was not too disturbed though.  he be back.

ya ever use grunters or squealers?   I got a squealer too.  to me it don't sound near life like as the grunter does.  dang blowing that grunter make me hunger  :)

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Rod LOL now that is funny.....i can see ya out there with your Red Rider, spot and stalk  :)

rusty

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Rusty, The sound you heard is very common in hogs. It is especially common in hogs that think something is wrong, "thought" they might have smelled something, etc.... It is much more common in older boar hogs. I have always thought the sound is made as a challenge. If one hog says something it is an unvoluntary response that another hog will answer.

I vocalize with hogs every chance I get. I have brought many hogs out of heavy bruch by breaking sticks, grunting singular grunts, followed by the "blow". If the grunts won't bring them out of cover the "blow" damn sure will. Ask John Scifres about "the blow". He was in the wrong place when I brought a BIG Boar out of heavy cover. He saw it as it plowed over him. LOL!

The challenge grunt-blow: This works when you break a herd into. Generally when you shoot a hog in a group the group will scatter like turkey or quail. These pigs will try like hell to get back together. You can bring them back together(to you) with the grunt-blow. I've done this many many times now. This is not done with a feverish blowing on a hog grunt tube but instead by issueing singular grunts. Grunt once and wait for a response. If a hog returns the grunt, then and only then grunt again. He'll answer if he's within ear shot. Sometime they hang up when they can't get a visual on the pig they think is grunting. This is when you grunt and then follow it immediately with a blow and break a few sticks. The blow simply finalizes the deal. They will come at a dead run sometime so be very ready to side step a boar hog in motion. Breaking sticks and brush while you grunt and blow will absolutely bring em in if used in the correct situation(lone big boars). To use this routine in any other format will alert the hogs and send them running for another state. Use this routine when the hogs have not identified your presence. Cold calling hogs simply doesn't work in my experience......Walking through the woods blowing a hog call is like walking in the woods singing aloud.  :readit:   It's cool to talk with the pigs. They truly do have a language among themselves. It certainly helped me to raise wild hogs as dogs. They've taught me more than I could have ever learned any other way. Good luck with the pigs guys! Glad to see you out hunting. CK

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh Man Curtis thinks for the tips.  I have just started try to talk to them.  I can see how it is going to be a real aid. Espically in the extremely tight stuff we hunt in.  

it is not hard to find the pigs....tracks, sounds, and tunnels well lead ya to them.  gottin a shot in the privit, green briar hell is a different story.  do you every use a grunt to stop them for a shot?  they are in constant movement  :)

rusty

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Rusty, good to know you are playing with the piggy talk. Pigs speach is as essential to the pig as breathing. They talk to each other constantly to stay in contact with the rest of the herd. I really use this when stalking heavy cover. I've recently been stalking open hay medows with great success. I never fail to get within shot distance using the bump and grunt. What I do is get within close proximity, get down on all fours where only my back sticks up over the top of the grass. I move as slowly as the pigs and I try and make the same noises as all the pigs in the group. I make soft grunts, smacking noises, and I actually break tiny stick and other derbis purposly. The hogs make noise so why doesn't the hunter??? I know the pigs see me every time I crawl in on them but I do it in a slow, deliberate pace while acting just like one of the group. As I grunt they grunt and so on. I sometime get to shoot multiple hogs in this fashion. Actually, I almost always get at least two shot opps. I shot a sow a few weeks ago that simply ran around the group after I shot her and went back to rooting. THEN SHE FELL DEAD! The group never realized that anything was wrong. I simply raised up enough to shoot and layed over forward and went back to grunting and sniffing. Pigs make loud breathing, sniffing, slurping noises in addition to the simple grunt and blow. Get a real big pouch for pig hunting and fill that pouch with all the tools you can carry for hogs. Grunt, sniff, stick breaking, grunting, etc. are all fantastic tools when used at the proper time. It's figuring out when to use these tools that can be difficult. Singular hogs are not likely vocal. When they hear noise they generally respond with a grunt and then circle downwind to confirm what the threat is.

It's certainly more fun to hang out and talk with the pigs than it is to shoot them. My opinion anyway!! Have fun with it all. It's amazing the intelligence level of pigs. I just love them!! CK

PS, The squeeler is only good when you've broken a group of sows with lots of little pigs. I've seen em work but I've never seen a pig shot while responding to a squeeler. The pigs are just moving around too fast to shoot and generally they figure out something is wrong before you can get a shot opp.... The grunt works best. It's kinda like a handshake among men. Simple, direct, and comforting.  Good day! CK

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Knee pads, us old geezers need em if we're going to crawl around like hogs (works on javies too).

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm loving this.  Always like it when CK chimes in with his hog wisdom.

I'm trying to get my schedule worked out to have some time to chase pigs again.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Curtis - thanks.  As I stated earlier I am not a pig hunter really.  I am kinda of pig hijacker  :) .  it is great fun to learn about pigs and hunting them aggesively instead of passively.

thanks for your excellent input.

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh man be careful what ya ask for.  I had set up the feeder to get pics of my local freinds   :)  .  Ooooooo Sooooouuuuyyy they turned out in their finest.  LOL I got 255 triggers of the trail cam last night.  Just looked thru the first few.  Bless her old smelly heart the very first pig was bigga mama.  I sort thru them and post some.

btw bigga mama is off limits.  she and I have had this thing going on for several years.  I take her some corn and she furnish the bacon  :)

more pics a bit later.  got to go to work at 2PM so it may be later tonight.

rusty

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Shaun you are right for sure.  Knee pads and three legged stool are both have to have items  :) .

there is very little way to get a standing shot in the stuff Jason, Wingnut and I hunt.  

rusty

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Good stuff! I love talkin pig huntin'!

Rusty, The one thing I've learned about hunters over the last few years is that the ones who don't "know it all" generally kill all the game. A good hunter will always bag game. A hunter who is always willing to learn new stuff will conquer all obsticles that he may cross. As long as you are having fun doing what you love then everything is on the right track.

Shaun, I remember the crawl routine you did on the javelina. I've tried that with pigs but haven't had it work on open ground. Remember, javelina don't see very well but hogs have steller eyesight. I just let them see the top of my back when I crawl through the grass. Thats all I can generally see of them when they are feeding unless they lift their head. They just see the outline of my back and think I'm another pig unless I reaise up. Maybe I should glue some big ears on the back of my head to make myself look more pig-like in the grass. The main thing to remember is to use whatever tools that work for you. My post is simply suggestions-nothing in stone. Any time I start thinking I'm smart when it comes to pigs they end up showing me just how dumb I truly am.   :readit:   Sure makes it fun though when it all comes together.

Marv, we still have a rematch!

Rusty, back to an earlier question. Yes, when pigs are in constant motion, whether running a trail or feeding at a feeder, you can simply grunt one time sternly and they will stop. I'd suggest coming to draw before using your own mouth to issue a grunt. They'll freeze in place for about 2 seconds. SHOOT! Can't wait to hear how your hunts progress. Good luck. CK

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
oh man I ain't sorting thru all 'em pigs.  they started coming in around 6PM   (30 minutes after I put the corn in).  as a reference point the black strap around the feeder it 48" off the ground.  here is a link to the upload trailcam SD card.  hope the link works.. happy hunting

http://picasaweb.google.com/rustycraine/Trailcam#  

rusty

ps it does kinda show ya how hard it can be to pick a spot on pigs.  sometimes ya see 'em by the handful and they are in constant movement

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
one more referenc...trail cam was 7 yds from feeder.  has kinda of a wide angle lens so presceptive is a bit funny

there is a couple in there that i'd take home.  how many sounders do ya think that was from 6P to 4A.  must a been 2 or 3 i guess
rusty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©