INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Missouri Hunt Stories 2008  (Read 12961 times)

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missouri Hunt Stories 2008
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
Great story Tim. I have to deal with the point restriction for the first time in my area as well. I'm all for it, but it could make for some frustrating moments. Hopefully you'll get another shot at him. Good luck.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
Tim, sounds like a good hunt inspite of the warm temps.  I'm headed out in the morning to my buddy's place in Davies county.  He's coming up from florida and I haven't been on his place since september.  Last year this time he shot a nice 9pt.(130's) I'll report when I get back.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
frustrating moments is right. Last weekend I had a spike and 2 fork horns with in 15 yards. I still had a great time
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Finally on the last day of my vacation and I'm glad I passed on the little ones.  I'm happy for a nice deer and sad he won't get any bigger.

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
Congrats! That's a dandy buck.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
Wow Neven, awesome buck!  Well done.  Definitely need a taxidermist for that one.   :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
Thanks Tim! He was a big body too.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
Sweet buck Nevin.   One to be proud of for sure.

Just got back from my buddy's place.  Windy, Windy, Windy, Cold.  Didn't see anything but a hen turkey all day Friday.  This morning saw a small 8pt. with a doe walking out.  Afternoon hunt saw another small buck maybe a 6pt. across the creek.  Then at 4:00pm had a forkhorn come in to 30yrds.  End of weekend.  

Now I'm gonna get ready for next weekend and the K.C. Urban Hunt.  Lot of big ones in there.  Hope I get a chance at one.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2008, 05:12:00 AM »
The bucks are really moving.  Try the thicker cover out of the wind even on windy days.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
Got this guy this morning. Checkout my story at  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=066707
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Yesterday the K.C Urban hunt began.  Had an awesome day except for one thing.  I lost a HUGE buck.  This buck would have to gross in the 160's. It had all kinds of stickers etc. but I couldn't tell you how many points.  It all happened so fast.

It was right at 9:00am, and I was standing and looking behind me because there was some deer activity.  I turned myself around and all I saw was antlers coming to me.  Got my bow off the hook and got ready.  Then I noticed the 2 does he was chasing.  The first one hesitated and looked up at me, but kept going.  The second one kept going and he stops in my shooting lane.  He was 16yrds and barely quartering to.  I'm already at full draw and was looking at the elbow when I let go. I hear a thump and see the chartreuse feathers hit him forward in the shoulder.  He immediately lunges forward and breaks the arrow off.  He trots down the hill and stops for a few seconds and walks off.  I can see my arrow from the stand but can't tell how much is there.  

I get down at 9:40 and check the arrow.  8-9 inches of penetration.  Found blood 6 yards after impact and it got real good further along.  He headed towards the creek, but then went straight back up the hill.  At the top puddle of blood about the size of a dinner plate. then NOTHING!!  Searched each direction for more, but couldn't find any.  I looked for 2 1/2 hours.  I was upset and sick,sick,sick.  Thought about going home to get help, but thought that my possible help might be hunting and decided to look along the creek one more time. Jumped another monster below where mine went and thought it might have been him, but the rack was more clean and typical. Finally went back to the stand and hunted the afternoon, and all I could do was look at the spot where I shot him.

Called Dave Poore(WoodsyDave) and Dave Bulla that night.  Woodsy said he would come help look after I was done hunting this morning at 10:30.  Dave Bulla is in the urban hunt as well and helped me look as well.  We grid searched and came up empty.

I don't know everything felt good, but somehow pulled it a little to the right.  Hopefully this deer will be alright. I'd rather have missed him than wounded him.  I wasn't nervous at the shot what so ever.  I always start shaking after the shot.  

Total on saturday I saw 6 bucks and 6-7 does and one bobcat.  Sunday morning I saw 3bucks (small) and 7 does.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Brian,

Sorry to hear about your buck.  Sometimes weird things happen when the shot is taken.  I would have sworn I hit my buck quartering away but when I found him it was quartering to.  

Looking forward to seeing what else you get a crack at on that hunt.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
Anyone else bowhunt during the Missouri gunseason opener.

The wind was brutal on Saturday and I didn't see anything that looked like rut activity.  No chasing and all the does we saw (while driving up the driveway at night) were in large groups. Only one buck seen.

The last two years I have seen great rut activity on the opening weekend.  This weekend I didn't see much if any sign even while driving 4 hours from Springfield to Weston.  Given that this gun season opener was much later than normal I was really suprised.  

Just wondering what the rest of you guys saw.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
Brian, sorry we couldn't find your buck. He sounds awsome.  He's probably still out there chasing does and waiting for your next encounter.

The area looks great. I will definitely join you next year if I can get drawn.

We have a lot more hunts this season and I know you will tag yours before it's over.

See you soon

Dave

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
Chris,

I sat 8 hours with the wind in my face on Saturday and saw one buck cruising for does early in the morning.
Sorry to hear about your troubles Brian!It sucks to put an arrow in one and not recover them.

Scott
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about that one Brian, but I'm sure it's happened to all of us.  One year I searched and searched all over for a deer I hit, with little penetration.  I gave up and told a friend.  He then went with me and found it in a matter of minutes in the weeds in the same area I'm sure I walked through.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Brian, don't know what to say bud but that just stinks. Hopefully you'll get another crack at him.

My dad and I had a great few days at our place in the Ozarks. I'll start another thread for the story but here's a little teaser.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
Thanks for kind words guys, but it still doesn't ease the pain.  Only thing I can see to do, is get back in the saddle and try not to let it bother me.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
Brian,

Sorry to read about your misfortune. I have been there and it still haunts me to this day. I wish you luck and I hope you know that you can call on me anytime you need help tracking, please don’t hesitate to call me. If I can help I will there.

Tom
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©