INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Missouri Hunt Stories 2008  (Read 12974 times)

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missouri Hunt Stories 2008
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
Dave, where was this at?  NW Arkansas or NW Missouri?
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Went to the public land yesterday with WoodsyDave.  Set up at the bottom of a ridge where there was good sign the week prior.  There was even more this week.  Couldn't find exact spot in the dark, so decided to get close enough and couldn't get the climber just right.  I had to go up and down twice and still not right.  Anyway got settled in with a group of roosted turkeys and started seeing them as it got light.  Had one at twenty yards and just above me but no shot due to the branches.  The woods were dead silent and really foggy.  Tried the Can and some grunting but no one wanted to come in.  Got down at 9:45 and picked out a better set up for the evening hunt just across the creek.  Went back to talk to Dave.  Was walking by a wheat field when I noticed 3 gobblers in the field.  Fog was still heavy and they hadn't spotted me from 150yrds and wearing blaze orange due to the Youth Season.  I managed to get to within 60yrds when the gig was up. I should have taken off the orange.  Met Dave heading my way and we went to check one of his cameras he has set up on the area.

Dave and I went back to the parking lot to eat and take a break.  Had bird hunters pull in to check out the area, and talked to a few of them. We shot a few rounds on the target Dave brought then took a nap before the afternoon hunt.

About 3:00 woke up and had a guy from Michigan pull in to the lot. Talked with him about how Michigan's Public land was lousy and how Missouri's was far better according to him.  Ended up he was headed for the same area I was in and he decided to go else where.  

Got in the stand quietly except I realized that I hadn't turned on the walkie radio Dave gave me to keep in touch.  BEEP, BEEP!!!  then a deer on the next ridge Blows.  OUCH!!! All was quiet.  About 6:15 saw a flash of white.  Deer!  about 60yrds out and can't tell what it is.  I try the can. No movement, try the grunt no movement.  Then I hear this weird noise just in front of me.  I turn my head slowly and its a coon in a tree 15yrds and at eye level.  Then a turkey is clucking across the creek to my left.  The coon keeps making this noise for ever and I keep trying to see the deer when it finally lifts its tail and goes back the way it came.  I guess it was an alarm sound?  Finally it gets down and goes away.  Everything silent again.  Its about 6:30 and getting dark.  I decide to hang my bow up and put my jacket on because its getting chilly.  BLOW! BLOW! a doe about 40-50yrds in front and I never saw her there due to the thick cover and darkness. I figure the game was up and time to head out.  Half way down the tree and BLOW! BLOW! she came back to 30yrds.  Oh well.

Hopefully Dave will post his story and tell how he got a picture of a big 12pt. that was in front of his camera while we were in the parking lot getting ready that morning.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
If you find a 500lb gorilla in the woods you can keep him!!  Got my first trad kill today.  Had a button buck fawn and doe fawn come in from behind me and mingle around for over an hour. During that time saw a nice 6pt cruzing to my North.  I gambled spooking the fawns by grunting at him, but no action.  Looked back at the fawns and their still eating fresh leaves as fast as they can.

The doe fawn finally trotted off(which was the one I wanted) so it was the button buck or nothing.  Given my first 3 attempts were high this season he was fair game!

He came into 7 yds and looked away.  I was more concerned w/ height than left and right and the shot placement showed.  Hit him right behind the last rib w/ a 150gr snuffer.  He trots to 17 yds and all I see is a big black hole in his side that absolutly no blood is coming out of.  No fault of the snuffer though, the shot was directly in the gut.

I nocked another arrow w/ a Zepher Sasquach and let her rip again.  The entrace wound was about an inch higher, but angling forward and out through the ribs.  My how the blood did flow!!  Could see it coming out before the fletching had disappeared!  He went another 30yds and that was all she wrote.

Wife had the camera so no pics, sorry guys.   Nice to get the first one done with.  Today was my 16th wedding anniversary as well.  I shot a dandy buck 14 years ago today, thats how I get away w/ still going on this day.  I guess if I havent ran her off yet though she's probably not going anywhere.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
Congrats Robert and happy anniversary!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
I had to work this weekend and did not hunt. Has anyone in Missouri seen rutting activity? Chasing, ect???

I took off this coming Friday (Nov 7th). Three full days in the woods next weekend!!

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
I saw chasing two weeks ago, but only small bucks.  Didn't get to see any this week.  I'm sure they are tho.  Looked at another site and they have been seeing big ones chasing a little.  This coming week should really get things going good.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
BMOELLER  NW Missouri. when we hunted earlier this year..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
I got a nasty note from my neighbor. Have a treestand on a fenceline, we have used the same spot for 19 years now and they decide I am too close to their fence.  :saywhat:  Went to talk to them and they decided since I wasn't shooting across their fenceline it was OK. Hmmmm. could it have to do with the wall hanger buck? Saw 4 turkeys and a coyote Saturday and three does today. No shots and no rutting activity, could be because of the 72 degree weather this weekend. I did find a scrape though.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
I went out this weekend. It was too warm for me but you have to hunt when you can.
Saturday morning I rattled in a little six pointer to about ten yards right behind me. The afternoon was slow with only seeing 2 does at about 100 yds.
This morning it was warm and foggy again. About 20 minutes after shooting light I heard a lot of racket behind me and there was a buck chasing a little doe. They went all around me for a few minutes and then moved off. I tried grunting but they didn't pay any attention to that. When the buck was about out of sight I tried rattling but did not get any response.
About 45 minutes later I'm sitting there not paying close attention when I heard a noise. To my right at 20 yards is a buck walking on the trail that passes in front of me. I stand up, pick up my bow which thankfully has an arrow nocked, and grunt to stop him at 12 yards. Perfect double lung pass through. He went about 100 yards and I could hear him fall just out of sight. 5 points on the right side but the left side only had 3. It looked like it had broken off the end while still in velvet.
55# Yellowstone longbow, ash arrows with Magnus I head.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
At 9:30am today,I spotted a nice buck about 150 yards away. I grunted at him and got his attention. I then snort weezed and he came in on a string.I looked him over real good at ten yards. He was a mid 140" 10pt. looked like a 3.5 year old deer, definatly not a 4.5. I let him walk. I was wishing that I had a decoy, I bet it would have gotten real interesting!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
dnovo,  how about some pics?  Way to go!!  Stone, that snort wheeze works don't it?  I've had two bucks come in to that when I've spotted them.  Works like a charm.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
Brian,

I sure am enjoying this tread.  I already put my story on tradgang but for anyone who wanted to read it here is the link.  

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=066182;p=1#000000

I've been getting deer meat processed over the last week and haven't been back out.

Looks like the weather is going to cool down for this next weekend which should really get things cranked up.  Hope to see some pictures of you guys standing over some deer real soon.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
Great stories guys!

Robert,

Congratulation on your first traditional kill and happy anniversary!
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
Guys this is my first buck with recurve normally need to be a little bigger but is my second year hunting  with recurve and trying to get monkey off my back.
Rut is in full swing in our area,have seen lots of pairs while harvesting crops.
Next  year it will be much bigger   :biglaugh:

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Great job rooster!! Now that you broke the ice, those deer better look out.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:  to all
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Congrats everyone!!
 I'm gettin ready to start for real,soybeans are cut!!  :archer:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Congratulation Rooster

What part of Missouri are you from?
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
Tom i live in Paris Mo.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
I had done everything right for a change, I was finally caught up enough that I wasn't messing with a stand or some other silliness that should have been taken care of months ago.  I exited my vehicle quietly, got my gear and "deer walked" my way slowly to a stand near a creek bottom.  I'd not tried deer walking seriously before, but with the dry leaves making silence impossible, I had to admit I sounded more like a deer than a man as I stopped and started my way down the hill.  I didn't bump anything out, I knew that was a good sign as deer frequently bed not that far away.  Hunting alone for the first time this year, with no teenage sons to get settled in first, I was in my stand quickly.  It was a nice day...too nice in fact, once I was settled I decided it was downright hot, not the best conditions for deer movement.  However, with the rut winding up I could hold out some hope, and enjoy some time away from it all in the woods.  Things didn't feel right, it was too warm and I had that unexplained but confident feeling I wasn't going to see anything.  An hour passed that way, but the temperature began to slowly drop a couple degrees, and the wind calmed somewhat.  Sure enough, I heard the tell tale sound of a walking deer, behind me of course.  I angled around slowly and surveyed a 6 pointer with surprisingly good mass for his age, strolling towards me on the other side of the creek.  I recognized the deer as one we'd seen before, he frequently bedded on the fringe of neighboring property.  He got to the other side of the creek and stopped.  I knew he was not a legal deer so I decided to sit like a statue and see how close I could get him.  Not very close it turned out, as the fickle breeze gave him a hint of something wrong.  Judicious scent control on my part payed handsomely, as he did not spook or alarm, but after some apparently whimisical thought and looking around he opted to wander off back the way he had come, unconcerned but opting to play it safe.  It is always fun to have deer close and I enjoyed it immensely.  About half an hour later I looked back again and could see him browsing about 100 yards away behind me, and right under my son's stand.  I made a mental note to be sure to tell him.  More time passed and I figured, "That was probably my excitement for the day".  About 15 minutes later I heard a deer walking fast to my left, angling behind me.  I slid slowly around again to see a deer trotting down the other side of the creek bottom toward me, paralleling the creek.  It was the buck, and I welcomed back my recent visitor.  The wind had faded to a steady breeze, no longer fickle, and this time it was completely in my favor.  I manuevered around to watch the buck, and he trotted to nearly the same spot as before and began to calmy browse.  Wait a minute!  This is a different deer!  I began to count...1-2-3...1-2-3..I counted to 3 good points on both sides, over and over again like a four year old, but to no avail, I kept getting 3 points.  I relaxed a bit and enjoyed the show.  "Wait a minute dummy!" I thought to myself,  "You're counting 3 points on the main beam!  If this deer has any brow tines to speak of your looking at an 8 pointer."  Well, I couldn't see any brow tines but the main beam points were fairly long, giving me hope.  I attempted to hold my bow, keep my balance and fish my binoculars from off of my day pack with the other hand.  It wasn't very smooth but I got it done.  After juggling with the binoc's in my left hand, trying to pull lens caps off with my teeth and focus with a single finger I finally had the deer in my Burris'.  He turned broadside at 20 some yards, browsing to his off side and exposing his vitals as if he was begging to be perforated.  I took a hard look and there they were, a pair of brow tines close to 3 inches long!  I was looking at a legal buck, and he was absolutely clueless to my presence. The bulk of his rack was white and polished, but the brow tines were dark, which made them hard to see against the background.  As I put down the binocs and started to angle for a shot the deer was already moving again, to my left and behind me.  Rats!  He continued to move behind me along the creek.  This was going downhill fast, I pulled out my can call and hit it once.  He looked around but wasn't coming, so I thought "enough of that", no need to tip him off.  He calmly sauntered farther behind me and to my left, well in range but obscured by limbs, and he eventually walked away down the creek and out of sight.

I'll get him another day I thought, and thanked the Lord for a great day and a great hunt.

Man I wish I'd have recognized what I was looking at sooner...but in my defense this is the first year my hunting area is under a 4 point restriction, so there's a learning curve I guess.

That has been my best hunt thus far.  Tim
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©