INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Shot placement/recovery...w/photos  (Read 7339 times)

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shot placement/recovery...w/photos
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2008, 04:52:00 AM »
I can't see anything but double lung

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2008, 06:53:00 AM »
Liver, maybe the tail end of the onside lung.

Some good lookin tenderloins there!  :thumbsup:  

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
From what I see the arrow is in front of the diaphram. Therefore no liver , no guts, looks to me like a double lung. Later Bob

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
Well I think everyone is hung up on the quartered too angle.  Take the arrow out and put it in the other direction.  Quartered away. . .perfect.

Now it's a little back (worst thing you can hear at night in a hunting camp) but it's angled forward fairly steeply.  If I'd made that shot, I would have said, liver and lung, wait 1 hour minimum.  Probably went down much faster but that would have been my call in the field.

Looking at the dressed animal, It would be double lung.  Arrow is ahead of the diaphram and even if it's cupped in for a breath should not have hit liver.

Big difference between "in the field" and "on the hook".

Now lets have the answer!!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
Good enough shot for me congrats.That sure looks like my canoe though.Kip

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
I'm in the camp the shot is to far forward for paunch and liver. Both lungs and perhaps the aorta. Either way take a second look at the exit side wound channel, Woodsmans do make a big hole...

JOhn
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
I'll go with a liver shot........ didn't see any blood on her snoot from a lung shot.   :coffee:  come on now......what's the skinny?

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
So.... I gave this old girl about an hour, thinking I had at the least a good lung and liver hit.
Do to the way the arrow looked as she ran away, I have to say I was really leaning toward a double lung shot.

The shot actually ended up taking out the rear lobe of the near lung, then through the diaphram and into a thick part of the off side of the liver and out.  No paunch was hit as far as I could tell.

Oh, and the loud crack was that near rib I hit.  It was completely shattered. Looked like someone stuck a firecracker in there.  :)   Something I've personally never seen the woodsman do.  All my other kills with the woodsman, it has pushed to the side and went inbetween the ribs, maybe taking a small chunck of bone once in a while, but never committing to the entire rib.

So, given a solid portion of the lung and liver were damaged and close to an hour wait, what kind of ground do ya think this deer would have covered?  Keep in mind the arrow was still in her.   The woodsman was polished to hair pop'n sharp.

I've got to go shovel some snow, I'll be back later tonight with the recovery, the most interesting part.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
One hour may not have been enough. Liver hits sometimes expire quickly and sometimes they bed down and they can last a long time but seem to go down quickly once you push them up out of the wound bed. Nice looking doe. Good shooting.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
I will say 120 yards
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
327 Yards!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sharpster:
Liver, maybe the tail end of the onside lung.

Some good lookin tenderloins there!   :thumbsup:  

Ron
Okay, I passed question one. Now for the distance she could have gone and how long...

Liver shots will often put a deer down fairly quickly (inside of 100 yrds) and they usually will expire in less than an hour BUT.... because of the hard impact of the bone shattering shot, I suspect she may have made an adrenaline pumped run and could have covered quite a bit of ground.

I still suspect that she was dead within the hour but how far she could have made it in that time...

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »

might be helpful to review our anatomy from time to time... watch the whole sequence  :D
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
Good stuff Jeremy. Note guys it clearly shows just getting into the ribs does not mean double lung or even 1 lung. The diaphram is angled from top to bottom forward. I learned this the hard way on an elk. Perfectly broadside...If you drew a line half way from the shoulder to the back of the ribs, then half way up...Nothing but liver, basically dead center of the rib cage and you'll miss lungs. Try that on the anamation, get the ribs showing, put your curser half way up and half way from shoulder to the back of ribs, that's nothing but liver.

Mike perfect quartering away? Only if it came out in front of the opposite shoulder!   :)  

Distance?....If it got into where the lobes come together, 60-100 yards, if it didn't, could be hundreds if pushed too soon....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
That is the same shot i made on my buck this year, 175 yards and after 2 hours he still got up and made it another 60 yards.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
Depends on a lot of things,  that bone impact probably made it run hard right away.  Most deer if hit like this will run hard for 60-100 yards, get into cover, then stop and watch its back trail.  You will find a pool of blood where it did this.  If nobody chases it while it is watching, it may bed down nearby.  If nobody comes looking for at minimum an hour or better yet 2-3 then it will be in its bed when you find it.  If it isn't dead yet when you come looking, it will slip away and you may not find it without help from a dog.   snow always helps of course.

If you don't see or hear it fall,  let it have time.
ChuckC

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
It haled A$$ because of the 3blades and the impact it felt, adrenalin dump into it's system, it ran until it did a flip from passing out because of the massive blood loss.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it,lol

nice doe doe, yum yum

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
Boy, those liver shots are quite variable.  There are alot of big blood vessels in the liver, but if you miss them (even though you've gone through a big chunk of liver) they can make it a long way.  Same goes for only taking out one lobe of lung.  I'd say this could take anywhere from 1 to 8 hours.  Really narrowed down my choice, huh.

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
I bet with the bone hit, it went at least 200 yards,
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Sorry, you asked for distance.  Assuming not pushed, I'm still gonna guess at least 200 yards.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©