INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Shot placement/recovery...w/photos  (Read 7340 times)

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shot placement/recovery...w/photos
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
500 yds.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
O.L so my punctuation was not that good.

Perfect, quartered away.  Not perfect quartered away.

LOL

So my field judge was right and my anatomy sucks.  Oh well.

If you let it go and hour I'd say 120 yds.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline okcaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
everybody guessin high so il hgo low. this deer made it approximatly 73 yards

Offline Riverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
I have shot them that way and watched them fall within 40 yards. The lung/liver is a deadly combo, but I always say that I would believe just about anything when it comes to the toughness of a whitetail.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
176.5 yards, depending on which way she fell.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
This is a shot Ive never taken but have wondered about.From the looks of things it worked well.Its a shot that I think I would take in a second if there was no chance that Id be presented with a better angle.Ill gues she didnt go far,,,, 70yards.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
Okay, my shot blew up the off-side rib just as you described. About an inch of it was just shattered! My doe was down in about 40-50 yards in a straight line. She made a couple turns, so maybe 60 tops. I heard her crash and waited 30 minutes. I was shootin a Legacy 1916. She broke off about 7" of the fletch end after running 30-35 yards. The broadhead end dropped out a jump or so later.

My shot got both lungs though, so your doe may have gone farther. I'd still bet it was under 100 yards.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
Looking at the exit wound in the one pic.....the off colored flesh tells me that you might have nicked the stomach.

It always amazes me how little some hunters actually know about anatomy and shot placement...some of those assessments of the shot weren't even close! Com'on guys....some of you have been hunting long enough to know....this shouldn't have been a "guess your best"....

Hopefully a thread like this will help folks out, and really start studying animal anatomy......

I'd say it went at least 100-500yds(depending on cover),and it lived for a good 15 minutes at least after laying down......and when you walked up on it you found the area around where she was laying pretty thrashed up by her.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
150 -300 yards due to the bone being smacked pretty hard.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
id say right around 350 yards
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
id say right around 350 yards. But as guru said that depends on the cover and terrain
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
This is been a shot i`ve not had real good luck on   recovery with, due to were i hunt its vary thick an wet HARD TRACKING CONDITIONS--when there is a chance to catch gut on a exit WOUND the blood trail sufferer's an so does the recovery rate. I'm about 50-50 on this one on recovery. I`m with Guru lots of variable's in this shot placement could get lucky
hit the good spot in the liver wick is so painfully they have to lay down right away if not spooked or hit the bad spot in liver an go 500 an flop around- --usually by a creek or some water
Bull

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
After giving her about an hour I packed up my stuff and walked over to the spot where she was at the shot.  I had seen blood shoot from the impact wound as she took her first hard leap away. And yes, the impact on that rib made her run hard and low.  She was moving as fast as a deer could move.  She ran a few yards to the edge of the corn field and headed down a fence line.  Bright red blood was absolutely everywhere, on the ground, the standing corn to her right and the fence to her left.  I followed the blood standing upright with no need to bend over.  It was now dark and I could see the shiny blood up to 10 yards ahead of me with my headlamp.  I'll have to say, with the amount of blood coming out from both sides of her, I was now sure I had 2 lungs hit.   ;)  

So, I continue to follow the trail, the blood remains constant, but after 100 or so yards I'm now just finding it on the ground in 50 cent size splashes and speckles.  I'm to the point I'm starting to look ahead expecting her to be laying dead.  On I go with the trail and before I know it I'm following her down into THE timber drainage from hell.  Rose bushes and deadfalls that are nearly impenetrable.  I continue on winding through all this stuff following blood.  I remember thinking continually, OK she's gonna be just a few yards ahead.  Before I knew it I was close to a 1/4 mi. away from the shot.  No indication she bedded down or even stopped for more than a brief period.  I'm now pretty sure I didn't get both lungs.  :)  

Well, with the amount of blood on the ground I just could not imagine the deer had went this far and it drove me to continue. Though the shot must not have been both lungs I felt she was gonna run out of juice pretty quick.

I followed blood out of the drainage up a bluff like hill, between rock outcrops with billy goat steepness.  She made it to the top, went under a fence into a pasture.  Still finding fifty cent size blood spashes I followed her up into the pasture where I finally lost blood.  At this point I was close to half a mile from the shot in a wide open grazed pasture!  :readit:    

Frustrated and not having any real good lay of the land to lead me in a probable direction, I backed out with a very cold night in the forcast.

I grabbed my best friend in the morning and headed back to the last blood.  She had went probably 60 yards without bleeding and we picked up good blood along the opposite pasture fenceline.  Another couple hundred yards and my friend hollered at me.  

Said and done this old doe gave me my monies worth.  Looking at an aireal map of the location, she went close to 3/4 of a mile before running out of juice.    :notworthy:  

I'm sure glad I had good blood on the ground, not sure I would have ever found her without it.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
WOW

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
Thats why I pass on quartering to shots

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
Glad you found her! GOOD JOB ON STICKING WITH IT!  after field dressing her--- what was the damage? liver, nick 1 lung little bit of gut???
Bull

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
Excellent thread Morning Star...excellent thread.  :thumbsup:

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
Good job.  I should probably share a similar story on another thread sometime.  Anything possibly involving liver and further back needs 8 hours if possible. Even then you may have a job ahead of you.  I can't help but wonder if you pushed her too soon (of course I realize you thought you had lungs).

I too agree and have witnessed others with many a troubled or lost track job with quartering on deer.  Too risky for me.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2008, 05:58:00 AM »
Been following this thread great thread, should be used as a educational tool somewhere.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
I agree that quartering towards can be risky shots and I usually stay away from them.  This deer became an exception when she turned (flexed) her body to look back behind her and exposed a large portion of her chest.

I'll take a solid liver and lung hit anyday.  Any thoughts on why a deer hit like this went so far?  Clotting at the organs?  She sure put some blood on the ground though.  

I'm just gonna go with.....I shot the toughest Doe in Iowa this year.   :)
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©