INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: my hunt with ray in pig city  (Read 3375 times)

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
my hunt with ray in pig city
« on: November 25, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
was great that place had pigs,deer,and tree rats all over the place.i didnt shoot anything but i had more that one chance to.if you want to go hunting and have a great time you need to go with ray.his friend is kinda a big jerk   :smileystooges: .make sure you book your hunt when mike is sick.it was the best time i have ever had hunting.ill let ray and the others at camp say more.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: my hunt with ray in pig city
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
brrrrrrrr...it was cold! It really shut down the hog movement early in the day..they were all bedded up trying to stay warm until the middle of the day.

Kasey and Dan Masson worked hard, Kasey could have shot I think but held off...and you know, if it doesn't FEEL right, then it probably isn't.

I'll Let Dan tell his own story...It's quite the tale!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »

Kasey is also quite the rat catcher..his trapping technique was nothing short of amazing. It probably comes from years of working around horses and barns but HE taught ME as much as he learned from me and I will put his techniques to work to clean out our future invaders at the camp.

Mike(the guy Kasey was talking about) did tag a medium rare boar Saturday evening as well.Notice the shot placement.

“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
So, Ray, when I come down in March do I need to bring my own rat traps or can I just shoot them when the run across the floor?

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
I want to hear about the techniques for the rat catching as well.    :D

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
SquirrelBait scored pork and didn't call?? You fired Mike! And Miss Kim says "Smile next time, you cuddly bugger you!"  :p
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
I should have the little buggers cleared out by then, Craig, unless you want me to save some for you!!!!!!!?????????????

JC- Mike's been fired for years, he just keeps showing up like that guy in Office Space with the red stapler. I'm afraid if I really get the message across I might come home to find the place burnt down, know what I mean???

Just kidding. Mike and Kasey got along great, and kidded around a lot as you can see from the banter. Just wait till he gets on here tonight..I'm sure Kasey's gonna catch some Mike-isms!!!!

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
i don't know if all of what he will say is true but i have my own things to say if he gets on me to much  :)  i know he smells to walk behind and hard to push of a log in the swamp

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
Mike only smiles when he's loading pigs in the back of the truck. I don't quite remember what he called that particular technique, but he sure seemed to enjoy it...   :eek:    ;)
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
are you talking bout his girlfriends :0

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
I'm goin down in January maybe I'll see his technique  :)  

I hope the rats are still there  :)
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
Ray just how cold was it there? We had 16 here with a 8 MPH wind BRRRRRRRRRR!

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by kasey:
are you talking bout his girlfriends :0
All I'm saying is... If Mike owned a farm, he'd prolly spend an awful lot of time in the barn...     :scared:    :D
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
Nice mouse, nice pig!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
Kasey , you little wet behind the ears turd! After taking you under my wing, and this is the treatment I get! He did try to throw me off a log in the swamp, payback is a buggar. Truth be known, Kasey , your a good guy. I'd share a camp with you anytime brother.
 JC, I'm sorry I didn't call. Been kinda busy since we got back. By the way, I killed that pig with my Acadian Woods Treestick "Cooter". Tell Miss Kim, I still love her.
Molson, don't you have some paper work to do? You PO-PO!
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
YeeeeeHawwwww! "Cooter" strikes again. Obviously you don't have problems hittin where you're lookin with it!

You come over for dinner and tell her yerself   ;)
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
Glad to hear everyone had a great time. I've been waiting for the update since Thursday night!

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
Sorry it took me so long to chime in, bad things like work got in the way.
But let me tell you that Ray has a great honey hole there and he works his tail off to help others during the hunt.  
Ditto for Mike, the man works as hard as he hunts.
Sharing a camp with Kasey, Mike, and Ray, is going to be a hard one to beat.  If you get the urge to go do some SERIOUS hog hunting, give Ray a call at 678-300-2883.
Story coming up...
here's Ray with a little rub

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
We were on hogs all weekend, I should have shot one Saturday when I had two at 15 yds broadside.  But NOOOOOO, dummy Dan thinks he can get a little closer.  Wind shifted, end of story.
That night, had my back to a sage field looking into the woods for emerging hogs, and MR BIG steps out behind me in the field.  I had no cover, all I could do is freeze.  He was watching me with every step toward me and was getting more nervous with every step.  He never got within my comfort zone.  I could have crawled under his belly without touching him and his gentiles looked as big as basketballs.
Next day, last day, last minutes of hunt I snuck up on a sow bedded in some palmettos.  I only saw a patch of hair with part of a tail.  So I could see which way she was bedded.  I was only 15 feet away.  I picked the spot where her vitals were, and put an arrow right there.  THUNK.
She got up and ran, then I found out she was twice as long as I thought she was!  Arrow was a wee far back, maybe in liver but not sure.  Anyway, not good.
I went and got Ray and Kasey, we tracked her.  They were up ahead of me fanned out and I was looking for blood.  Then I see all sorts of commotion ahead from Ray and Kasey.  I started running and about the time I got there, the hog was growling like a grizzly and charging Ray.  He must have slipped but she hit him in the face with her flat nose and bowled him over backwards.  Kasey threw a log at her and turned her around (good man, Kasey), and Ray got to put her to rest after that.  
So even though I shamelessly claim the hog, it was a team effort.
She weighed 165 lbs, with perty good tusks for a sow, and I am getting a European skull mount.
I wouldn't have traded this weekend for ANYTHING, it was a major chapter in my book of FUN.
Dan
PS-Ray is fine, you can't hurt anything that ugly or mean.
THANKS, RAY, MIKE, AND KASEY!!! I had a heck of a time with ya'll.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
Wow...now that is an exciting hunt. Glad Ray was not hurt and at least some hogs were taken.

Mike glad to see you got one too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©