INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 08 Baker season so far....Wrappinp up the season w/ pics! NEW!  (Read 9202 times)

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 08 Baker season so far....Wrappinp up the season w/ pics! NEW!
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
Once again the Baker boys have shown us how its done...Great stories and pics....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
wow that Riley is gonna be quite the hunter.  hahaha doesn't it seem sometimes that the younger ones (Kory, Riley, etc.) make it almost seem easy, Mark you got a great group of family and friends to hunt with!!
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Tom D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Congratulations Mark on all your groups success! I glad to see both you and Fish did a great job with the kids!
 Maybe we'll get to share a camp again one of these days?

Tom

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
Wow, I see this got pulled up again by Brad!  Oh well, here is a quick summary of my season...

I hunted hard, every day sometimes twice a day throughout November.   I have a great spot to hunt right near home, although shared by a half dozen other bowhunters....persistence and a good game plan let me see a lot of great bucks this year.   Here's a few pics of some that I called in and passed on.

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
Somewhere during the first week of November, my selfbow "blew" on me while practice drawing in my stand!  It happens....

Luckily, I had a backup...my bamboo backed Ipe, and it's a real log slinger too!

While passing on literally dozens of opportunities, I did call in a few dandy bucks, but could'nt get the job done.   Those older guys are tough, especially when the lead is flying all around the property bounderies.  I called this guy into 10 steps, and could'nt pull off a shot at him...doh!

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
He was a 150 class 5 by 5 and a dandy too!  

All during this time, I could'nt even buy a shot at a doe, they get tough to shoot this time of year as well.  

Finally, the last weekend of our season, and on Saturday nite, I was tickled to fill my doe tag and add to my freezer...

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
This is really a great place to chase deer, as the wildlife is plentiful and diverse here, and the view is outstanding.    

This is looking out from my stand, towards the east.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
My last evening in a stand before another years' wait....

Deer were moving well, and I had them all around the entire evening.   I spied a great buck that I had recognized from the year past, and he was moving in the area, so hopes were high, despite the dwindling time....

In the stand, several does kept me occupied and entertained all evening...but the bucks were not in sight.   I decided to rattle the horns, just to stir things up a bit.   Later, I spied this great buck moving through the distant cottonwood/juniper bottom, scattering the does.   As he came closer, I could see he was a good'n.  He was 100 yards off and moving away, but some desperate grunting brought him into my vicinity, and this time I was able to pull off a  great shot on him.   Another last minute finish for me.  He's an old brute, and a fighter as evidenced by his broken up rack, but an old guy for sure.  

I had to enlist the wife into flashlight holding chores two nites in a row, for boning meat and caping.   After a few hours in the dark, my team and I were glad to be back at the truck!

And that ends the Baker season so far.   Still have a chance to chase cats, and maybe bunnies and a late season doe, but all in all a good year for  this crew!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Congrats on a great season Mark. Some outstanding animals! That scenery pic is just stunning. I'd sit that stand even if game weren't plentiful. Simply beautiful....
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
Mark, thanks for taking us with you & your crew this season, you guys rock with the self Bows, I love it.

Take care and God Bless

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Nice pictures.  Good post on a great season.  Sorry about the bow  :(

John
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
That is too cool!!!  Congrats
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Wow, I love last minute success, congratulations to the whole crew.  Nice photos too, what a season.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :archer:    :clapper:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
Mark, you had a season I could only dream about!Congrats and thanks for sharing the stories and pictures! Man oh man I have to get out to Montana one day.  :pray:

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
hey thanks for the post congrats on a great last minute buck and also to kory and fish on those great bulls
Make a life, not a living

Offline Anaconda12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
That sounds like you guys had a very memorable hunting season, after living there for thirty years I sure do miss it this time of year!  Great story and pics Mark take care this winter up there!
Luck has nothing to do with it, just Boot leather and a GWP.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
yeah buddy!!!!!!!!well done..   :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
Mark,

Congrats on a good season and a great family.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Tony

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
Congratulations on another fine season, Mark.  You definitely put your time on stand in and it shows in your results.  Hope you saved me a blind, deaf and dumb one for next year.  Can't wait!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©