INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: SHREW CREW IS BACK  (Read 6573 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
SHREW CREW IS BACK
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Another great time was had at Shrew Haven last week. We missed our buddy Ray Lyon this year because he switched jobs and couldn't get the time off to come to camp.   :campfire: ...   :(  

Kevin Marshal also has a new job and couldn't get the whole week off but he made it up for a few days and managed to take home some venison.   :archer:

Most of the week was unseasonably warm which kept the deer from moving as much as they normally would at this time of year. But still everyone got a deer except yours truly.   :rolleyes:

Here's a picture of this years deer pole. Kevin had already gone home so there would have been one more hanging if he had been there.   :archer:

Left to right, Tim Cosgrove with a big Matriarch doe that dressed out at 140#. Greg (Chef) Nicolaou, myself, and Roger Norris. This picture was taken on Sunday Morning the day we left for home and as you can see, the Temperature had dropped and we had a skiff of snow on the ground.  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHREW CREW IS BACK
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Look like another great week! Congrats!  :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
Congrats guys!!  Glad to see you guys had another successful year and everybody made it home safe.  Good luck with the rest of your season!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
One good thing about the mild weather it gave us the opportunity to enjoy the new deck that we built on the back of the cabin this summer.

Left to right, Roger, Tim, Kevin and Greg.

Maybe that's why I didn't get a deer because of spending too much time out there myself.    :biglaugh:

The cool furniture on the deck was purchased on the way to camp at a quaint little place along Hwy 2. They harvest the wood from the cedar swamps on their property and make the furniture out of it, and it's very reasonably priced. The look and style of it just seems to go with the ambiance of Shrew Haven.  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Those look like some nice deer, congratulations   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Great looking crew there, and the hunters are not bad either...  :D  

“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
I hunted a lot from my Hidden Hunter ground blinds this year. These are great blinds and are so quick and easy to set up and take down that you can change locations in a jiffy which is handy for when the wind or deer movement changes. We also had some rain on some of the warm days and there's nothing more comforting than listening to the rain on the roof of the blind while you're snug and dry inside.    :D  

This is my new Green blind which as you can see is great for hunting in the pines.

*note the deer trail going down to the food plot in the valley.

Inside the blind
  http://www.shrewbows.com/hiddenhunterblinds/index.html  

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
Everything about your trip looks great to me.

I am waiting patiently for my new arrows from Paul. I am using my ACS bow this past weekend.

They must know I am out there...nothing...nada

Thanks for the pics Ron and the commentary...nice deer too.

Jer Bear

Offline the not so straight arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
looks like you boys were having a good time out there. nice deer and nice photos!
-cory
burry me with my longbow, and a dozen good shafts, heard theres big deer in heaven

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
Nice looking hunting Cabin and deck! Looks like everyone had a late night.  :p  

Looks like your reading "The Frontiersmen" in the one pic. One of my all time favorit books!

Looks like a great hunting setup with your blind tucked in the pines.  :readit:    :archer:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
Nice looking hunting Cabin and deck! Looks like everyone had a late night  
No late nights in our camp, it's usually lights out around 8:30/9:00pm..."Dark thirty" (4:30) is when the gas lights are lite and the fire put under the coffee.   :archer:

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
:thumbsup:   Sounds like the place to be!
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
Looks like your reading "The Frontiersmen" in the one pic. One of my all time favorit books!  
Yes, it is the "Frontiersmen", mostly about the life of Simon Kenton, 1755-1836 and the Shawnee Chief Tecumseh, 1768-1813. I finished the book while I was in camp. Before I read the Frontiersmen, I read "The Dark And Bloody River" also by Allen Ecker about the settling of the Ohio river in the same time period. Good stuff about our areas history.   :readit:

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
Good job Big "R" , glad you had a great time and great success on your hunt !

Mike  :clapper:
" Live long and prosper "

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
Very cool!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
I always enjoy looking at your camp photos and reading your reports from Shrew Haven. In what part of Michigan is the camp located. Thanks

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
Ron

every year it looks so inviting...

if I start posting pictures of stuff taken with my SS Samurai and begging shamelessly, can I get put on the "maybe someday" list?

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
TGMM - Family of the Bow