INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: SHREW CREW IS BACK  (Read 6571 times)

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHREW CREW IS BACK
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
Glad you fellas had a great time!!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
YOU CAN MAKE PIE!!!!!?????? RON!!!!

I have one of those blinds, mine is a digital camo...it disapears in  the brush.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Ron knows I can make pie...

I haven't brought one over in a long time though; work keeps getting in the way of all the good stuff   "[dntthnk]"  

Ron, what is that bow you've got there?  I thought you'd be field testing some new carbon SS.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
I think if I could snap my fingers and have a hunting cabin pop up...It would look like Shrew Haven...Thanks for sharing...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
"I think if I could snap my fingers and have a hunting cabin pop up...It would look like Shrew Haven"

I was lounging by the wood stove last week just looking at the antlers and arrows, all of the small pieces of archery history....and I was thinking the same thing. It's the perfect place.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
The view from Armstrong Creek.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
Beautiful place there!!!! Love the pics and stories.   :thumbsup:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2008, 02:58:00 AM »
Dang, a guy misses a year up at camp and they run roughshod over ya.

Roger is selling me out to some no name pie baker    ;)  , Kevin Marshall took over my bunk and hung his wifes picture there and Tim Cosgrove sit's in my favorite stand site and shoots that smart old doe that's caused me fits the last tow years. With friends like that............

........it reminds me all the more how much I missed being in camp this year with the gang.     :(  

The one story I missed seeing this year is the story of Roger missing the big buck. It seems like every year he has a close encountre with a nice buck that he either drops all his arrows out of the stand or forgets to flip the switch on his Shrew Scout recurve that turns on the accuracey package that is standard for the rest of us.  I always thought it was his version of quality deer management-let em go, let em grow- but perhaps I was mistaken?  :D  

The furniture looks great on the back deck Ron. No deer this year? You must have fallen asleep in the new furniture when the deer walked by the cabin during the middle of the day like we've seen in the past.

I saw Greg on Sunday night after he returned and he said he gained 15 pounds. I guess there's one good part of missing out on camp. I warn you boys right now, the pictures moving, I taking my tree back and I'm making three pies next year!!   :readit:    :bigsmyl:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2008, 07:11:00 AM »
We sure missed you Ray! It was a good camp, but not having you around was noticable. We especially talked about you when we were dragging Cosgroves deer!

Nope, no big buck encounter for me this year. I did have a spike and forkhorn BRAWLING under my treestand, but my usual evening of choking on the buck of a lifetime didn't happen.

Don't worry about your bunk...Kevin likes it way up top where the air temperature is 150 from the woodstove. As far as your Trestle Stand, we just have to remind Tim that deer shot there go 100 yards STRAIGHT DOWN to the crick. He won't want ANY part of it!   :bigsmyl:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
Hey Ray,  We tried to have fun without you this year     :bigsmyl:  When Tim told me over the phone that the doe weighed 139#, I told him that she'd have gone over 140# with the loins that I took....He about jumpped right through the phone.   :mad:  

Like I said, we tried to have fun without you...   :archer:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
Never mess with another mans loins!!!  :knothead:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Sounds like a great time Ron  :thumbsup:
                        KY  :archer:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
Ron can't say what Tim actually said about the loins, this being a family site and all   :p

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
Ron, what comes around goes around as they say, but based on what Timbo said on Monday, I'd keep the Basil Hayden under lock and key.     :readit:      ;)  

Roger, Tim needs to learn a little about shooting deer out of the Tressel stand.  Heart shot's do no good. You must double lung them. If you do, they make it just to the top of the hill above the creek, where the trail is. With that kind of shot, it's a level drag to the pick-up zone 70 yards away.  By going through the heart, it gave that deer the extra 15 steps to get the downhill tumble momentum to the creek.  At that point you're better off floating them to the bridge an dragging them up the 4 wheeler trail. Oh well, you guys won't have to worry about that next year, I'll be back on guard.     :thumbsup:

Just as a point of reference for the readers, the Tressel Stand is in a pine tree near the Armstrong Creek at the edge of some aspen trees.  Over the years it has produced approximately 10-15 deer. Kevin Marshall made his first ever bow kill on a spike from that stand in 1998.  I once shot two does 15 minutes apart from that stand (1999 when I got my Super Shrew Samurai and those were the first two shots on game after owning the bow for 4 days). It's one of those special stands that's like an old friend.  Traditions are what make Shrewhaven so special and certainly our preferred stand areas (and bunks Kevin!!) are a part of that.    :campfire:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Ray is generous with that stand, I have sat it 1/2 a dozen times or so. Ray, remember the year we kept seeing those sucidal spikes, and Ron wouldn't let us shoot them?! They looked like they were posing for a McKenzie photo shoot! I had to throw my GFA quiver at them just so I could climb down at night.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
Great story.....I love how you guys banter back and forth...that's good friends and they are hard to come by.

The place looks great too...Nice and relaxing.

My tipi tent isn't so roomy as Shrew Haven, but it will sleep 6 with an open fire or a woodstove...NO DECK SORRY and the scenery is always changing.

My horse can carry it and all the gear too if I walk.

Jer Bear

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2008, 05:33:00 AM »
I do rememeber those two spikehorns Roger. It was kinda like they were goofy siblings.

Jer Ber,
I admit the Shrewhaven camp is pretty darned cozy. Apple pies would be pretty tough to make in your setup. However, it doesn't matter what we put up for shelter, the gang up there is a flat out pleasure to be with each yeaR and the hunting is excellent.  That's a nice view from your tent by the way.

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »
Looks like a great time,remindes me of or hunts,can't beat good friends and good hunting.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2008, 06:39:00 AM »
Thats a great camp Jerry. Is that in the Yukon?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©