INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Oklahoma ten point pics and story  (Read 3548 times)

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
Oklahoma ten point pics and story
« on: November 19, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
Growing up in Northern Oklahoma, I had more of my share of outdoor adventures as a teenager. Probably more than I should have documented by my report card. I moved away from Oklahoma for employment about six years ago and sort of forgot about all the great adventures I had there as a kid. In September of this year, I was on the phone with my mother talking about the upcoming Kansas deer season and how great it was looking when she said,"I wish you would come home and hunt like you used to". She even said "I'll wake you up at 4am if you want". I told her I'd think about it and let her know if I can find time away from work. A couple days later, I called my mother and told her to double line the trash cans I'm coming in a couple weekends. My mother used to put two trash can liners in when I was a teenager due to my Copenhagen habit and spitting in trashcans. Everytime I go home, I tell her this even though my beloved copenhagen isn't a part of my life anymore.
When packing for my big expedition, I found myself packing playpens,diapers,hairdryers,tampons, and anything else that might keep my wife and son going for a weekend. I kept thinking, I've never been on a hunt that was this excessive in equipment. Upon arriving in Oklahoma, My mother greeted us in the usual fasion, with food and we spent the evening around the wood burning stove telling stories and looking at photo albums. I elected not to hunt in the morning due to the time we got in the previous evening and my wife said she agreed she didn't want to be woken up at 4:45 to me digging around the house.
I left the house the next day at around 2pm headed for the public hunting ground that surrounds the lake where I grew up. I was going over in my head where I should go and ended up having a verbal argument with myself due to the lack of scouting I'd been able to do. I finally decided I would go to the spot where I had harvested my first whitetail with a bow when I was sixteen. I arrived at the spot and the lay of the land all came back to me. I walked the two hundred yards back into the woods near a small pond with a beaver dam. Even though the woods looked quite different, I could still make out the tree that I had shot my first deer out of. The tree was now dead and leaning quite harshly over the pond so I found a tree right next to it and attached my climber.
I'd been sitting there about an hour and a half, when I heard something in the creek by the beaver dam. I looked and about fell out of my tree. It was a nice ten pointer headed right for my shooting lane. The buck stopped and rubbed a little tree while he checked the wind. After about ten minutes, the buck made his way to my lane and stepped out at 22 yards. I drew anchored, picked a spot and sent the arrow on the way. I didn't hear the arrow hit or see any indications that I had even come close to the deer. He ran about thirty yards and stopped. while he was standing there I found him in my binoculars and noticed a little dark spot right behind the bucks shoulder. The buck simply tipped over as somebody turned his switch off. I had to look at him about three or four times to make sure that what had just happened was for real.
I could barely make it down the tree due to my shaking legs and excitement. I walked over to the place where the buck stood at my shot and found my blood soaked arrow sticking out of the ground as if it were a flag waving for achievement. I walked over to the buck and admired this animal that I had spent so much time chasing when I was younger. I had spent a great amount of time in this same block of public hunting ground and never had caught a glimpse of a deer half this big.
  Upon arriving home, the whole family came out to greet me and my newest collection to my storyline. I've hunted all over chasing the whitetail but there's no place like home. Sorry about the pickup pics, that's all I took.

Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oklahoma ten point pics and story
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
"Theres no place like home, theres no place like home." Congrats on a nice looking deer and family.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
Tripper,

Great story and a wonderful buck.  Big bodied and great looking neck.  

I always go home for opening gun season to hunt at my parents so I can appreciate your story even that much more.  There is nothing like the familiarity of your old childhood stomping grounds.  Funny how memories of old hunts gone by come rushing back when you step into the woods.  It's like being reunited with a good friend.

Congrats.  

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
Nice goin', Tripper!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Great look'n buck!  Glad the whole family could share the experience.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Thats a nice one! Congrats!

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
Simply one of the greatest home coming stories I've ever read.    :campfire:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
Awesoem buck...wish my wife would look that happy when I brought stuff home...tee hee

jer bear

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
Great buck and an even better looking family.    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
Ya got a couple keepers there and a nice buck!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
nice
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
Great job Tripper! Nice looking buck!   :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
Awesome buck,story,pics., and family!!! Congrats.!!!  Sometimes it works out to be the story book ending.  How cool is that!!!  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
Awesome story, buck and really fine to be able to share the experience with your whole family.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
Very nice deer Tripper.....you done good.

Billy

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
Alright Tripper way to go!
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
Congratulation Tripper! Thanks for sharing that was a great story and a beautiful trophy.  :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©