INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: A resting Tiger....  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A resting Tiger....
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Tales from OZ...SUPER!!!

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
Hey Al! Glad your back safe and sound.  I am loving your story telling as always.  Keep it coming!  
D-
got arrows?

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
Can't wait but so long Chief!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
:campfire:    :archer:  Come on Al, lets hear the rest!!  :jumper:
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
beautiful python!
is that a black-headed or a childrens python? or are those the same snakes?
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
Nope not the same mate as far as I know but yes it's a Black headed python.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
Sorry for the slow reply guys and gals... I've caught the flu offa the kids and am just recovering now. Gotta love good drugs!

HA! Take that you nasty flu bug!

Now where was I...

The first morning was a slow one as I spent more time talking over coffee with the landowner then thinking of hunting. We are good mates as well as having a owner/hunter deal happening. Something I've always held in high regard. Anyhow I did spend some time out and about in the bush, scouting around and working out wher the deer were moving to and the likes.

I did stumble accross this cast though...

It reads 32" on the tape and is more then ample when asking for a shot at the animals who supports it. Little did I know that the next day I would get just a shot at said animal.

With the next morning's coffee and conversations out of the way I stalked my through some likely areas but came up with nothing. I sat down on a fallen log and was about to call it quits for the morning when I spotted a fine stag walking his way towards me.

As if he was on a string he walked on a game trail not 20 yards from my position and as he made his way towards me I drew 66# of well made longbow to anchor.

Now I'm not sure if the shot went high I he jumped the string or even a combonation of both but the following pic is what was left of my shot....

Looks like this Tiger is going hungry again today.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Did you ever twist those footings Al?

Hanging by a string here on the other side of the world!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 01:06:00 AM »
TTT so Al doesn't forget to tell the rest of it.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 02:19:00 AM »
LOL Ben..... I maybe crook but I'm not dead!

Just had to pick the kids up from school but now I'm on the homeward run...

With the mornings missed shot at the stag I still had high hopes of putting an animal on the ground. I could just feel it in my gut... something special was going to happen.

I had some lunch and rested on the front porch of the homestead for another midday nap. I awoke later then I'd planned to and I had to hurry in order to be at my predeterminded ambush spot. My idea was to settle between the bedding areas and the afternoon feeding areas of the deer.

I stalked my way along a spring towards some feeding deer. I'd made my way to an area I thoght was a good position with both cover in front and behind me in order to brake up my human outline.

I did not have to wait long and a group of deer feed in and around me. With all the sets of ears and nostrils about me I had to hurry up things as I've been busted like this before.

At 12 yards she did everything right as I followed her movements with bow raised and arrow upon the string. Waiting for her front leg to move forward as I listened to her nip fresh shoots from the earth, I burnt a hole into the spot my arrow was going to eclipse.

As she looked over her shoulder away from me chewing on some grass, I drew, anchored and painted my fingers along my face after the release.

Now I'd like to think my BlackWidow with 620 grain arrows is as quiet as a church mouse. But the speed she moved at still has this stalking Tiger in amazement. At the shot her reaction was to duck, turn and she had already made a 90 degree turn away from me when a Woodsman head caught her at the base of the neck.

She may have been fast but not fast enough. I'd rather have a little luck then be good anyday.

This is how I found her after her 30 yard death run.You can see the entry wound under her ear.....

From another angle...

And here is a better angle of the end product....

It's been a long time comming to enjoy all the meat off these fine animals to hunt. I truely thank them for all the fine hunts over the years. No better chess game can one play other then hunting on foot.

Thanks for looking,

AK.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 02:54:00 AM »
Hat's off to ya, Al; you've certainly done the hard yards over the years to collect this chital! Well-deserved, mate...

:thumbsup:    :archer:    :clapper:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »
:notworthy:
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 07:05:00 AM »
Well told as always Al!  Congratulations on a beautiful animal.  
Always nice to have a little luck in your pocket while stalking!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 07:39:00 AM »
Al... nice going bud! Glad to see you have some deer to chase down your way. Nothing better!!

Great story well told too... by the way.

Congrats.   :wavey:    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
Great story Al! Those Axis deer are beautiful animals, and very high on Tracy's wish list.
Bill

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
Good on ya cobber! Well told and well hunted.

Hopefully our dollar will pick up enough for me to follow through with a trip to your back-yard in 2010. Until then, keep the great tales coming.

By the way, you home for good now?

JC
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
Awsome story Al.  about time I see you with one of those beautiful deer in hand!  You have no idea how much I always root for your success when I read your stories.  
I am curious, why aren't you smiling in the final picutre?  
Perhaps your feeling that mixture of excitement and sadness that a lot of us feel with the taking of an animal?
D-
got arrows?

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Congratulations.  Persistance eventually pays off if you don't weaken.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Congrats on a great animal. I hear they are some of the finest table fare.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
Cobber JC, if our dollar is low to yours mate the more $$ you'll have to spend. It' the other way for me though if I was to come to the US right now ... it'd cost me more with the falling aussie dollar to the Greenback. Just having a brake also mate, got some renos to do to the house and spend time with the kids and wife. Looking forward to showing you and the Whip around the place, bring some of that luck in your pocket too.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, it was a long time comming and I spent more then my fair share of time in the bush after these critters. And yes she is super eating and the skin is away getting tanned as we speak, felted too.

Oh and that is my happy face Derek...lol. But yes I was humbled at taking such a fine animal.

AK.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©