INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!  (Read 44405 times)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
Before this really gets going let me say I was the "mystery guest" that was previously referred to in this thread. It was pretty much a fluke I was able to get involved in this hunt. Right up front I'll say I've hunted all over the world and have never shared a campfire with a better group of guys. There was not a cull in the bunch. When you get a dozen or so guys from all walks of life together, there are sometimes personality clashes that stir things up to make it somewhat uncomfortable. This was NOT the case with this group. I've never hunted a camp with so many knowledgable bowhunters who shared such common ethics, morals and respect for each other. I tip my hat to all who were involved. Between the campsite, the food, the bear hunting, and comraderie, it was absolutely perfect. Just plain perfect! I feel bad everyone else was not able to attend. If you are even slightly considering attending next years hunt... don't hesitate for a second. This is what it's all about folks. Now I gotta go get a little sleep. THANK YOU all again! BW

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
My trip began with my picking up Border Bob, JC, and Barry Wensel at Tippit’s house to load up the pickup and head out to meet the others. Barry of course, was witty right from the start and the fun began immediately with a lot of great storytelling-I don’t think it’s possible to hang out with these guys for any length of time and have it be otherwise! Anyway, after meeting up with some more new friends, we drove all night to Quebec and only Bowdoc, JC and Eric had any energy to hunt the first day.  Bowdoc tagged one the first night and drug it out himself and proceeded to help with cooking. He was the cook the rest of the way and did a fantastic job for us though as Tippit had warned, it became a challenge to swallow due to so much of the laughter Bowdoc provided!

Of course I will let others tell you about their respective hunts so I’ll just share mine: I’d hunted bears a few times before including tagging a nice one last year on this trip so I was certainly used to seeing bears come in. All of the other bears I’d seen though had been rather timid; observing the terrain, circling, and certainly taking off whenever something alarmed them. Not this one. After hesitating only for a second near the top of a crest, my bear started to snort and pop and all that jazz while it followed part of my path right to my tree without any hesitation whatsoever! NO timidity at all! He owned the place! He put his foot up on this little mound below me and I confess that I was somewhat nervous at the boldness of this bear to put it mildly and thought of making a noise or throwing something at it before it actually touched my tree! (I should mention that my treestand platform is below my chin in height). However, when something did startle it- he took off like a bat out of hell! Needless to say I was relieved but only for a millisecond as this bear was NOT running away as I thought but only chasing something off! In fact, whenever he heard or smelled anything he only continued to charge it then huff and puff at it-including once in my general direction but fortunately pass me to the side of my stand! (I don’t care who you are-this is a sphincter tightening experience, let me tell you)! The area the bear was so fiercely guarding was between me and my truck and I did not so have the general encouragement from the bear that I was confident I would have free passage. So while it did not have the best coat I was looking for it was decent and of an acceptable size (4th of the 10 taken it turned out) and I decided the safest way out of the woods was to take it so I did! Heart shot! The bear dropped about 15 yards away! Wahoo! (with heavy doses of relief)!        :biglaugh:    

Just to put a “little cherry of top” of an unbelievably great time, I managed to “Robin Hood” one of my arrows! Of course I had everyone sign it. Uncle Barry’s message: “Now you’re shooting like me!”       :biglaugh:    

What a great group of guys to hunt with! I’ve made some great new friends and have already been invited to hunt all over the country! That’s the highlight for me! As Barry just said; it was absolutely perfect!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
How was the FOOD  :bigsmyl:

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
Trout, steamers,wingtips, mooseburgers, steaks... :)
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Doc, I think I might know somebody interested...  He would've been there this year if he could.  Lemme make some phone calls.     :wavey:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
hey curveman awesome' icant wait to hear more. oh by the way it is 7am and i want to hear more come on guys not fear. any ways sounds like yoall had a great time.  :campfire:    :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
Vance,  I don't think you da lost any weight  ;)  Course you had to be quick of hand to get any Miss Kim cookies...can you say $200 dessert  :bigsmyl:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
hey doc how did ya knee hold out? by the sounds of things ya had to much fun to worry about it LOL!!!

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
Jeff,
With the help of a brace, I even dragged my bear out myself.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
This is going to be the hunt thread of the year.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: July 01, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
The next best thing to being there is reading this thread!

:campfire:
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: July 01, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
:goldtooth:  Oh man. on film too. That's as cool as it gets! Bring it on Doc! CK

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
wow!! way to go doc yo da man!!  :thumbsup:

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: July 01, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Bob and I are still a bit light headed...some from the 24 hours of travel...some from the withdrawl of adrenaline and good friends. Pics and stories from my end will start tomorrow. Rest assured, they will be worth it...this was a hunt of a lifetime fellers.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: July 01, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Glad ya all got back safe. Congrats on the Bears and on the great time. Doc that stone point looks awesome and ya gotta be very pleased with yourself. WOWZERS I am GREEN WITH ENVY!LOL<><.
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: July 01, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
We'll get into the story once Ray gets home and gets some rest.  This is before & after picture.  Night all...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: July 01, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Now that is just cold Doc. lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: July 01, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
ConGrats

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
awesome!<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: July 01, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
Man that is awesome.  Bear hunting is my dream hunt and you guys are making it much worse.  I cant wait for the rest of the stories.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©