INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!  (Read 44382 times)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!
« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Oh... that's right Cosmic Ray (also known as Sweet Cheeks), Allen did have a trail camera set up and has a couple pictures of "the man". When the dust settles I'm sure he'll post it. I know I'll recognize him. I haven't even posted another evening hunt when I got bluff-charged at four yards while on the ground with my bow still attached to the haul line. bw

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: July 02, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
When we gonna get to the excitin parts fellas  :scared:    :scared:

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: July 02, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
This sounds like soooo much fun, except the "bear tried to eat you" part.  :scared:
Mel Riley

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: July 02, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
Boy, nothing like an angry animal that can do serious damage to make you feel really alive and a part of the natural world, is there?   :eek:   I was puckering up just reading about that one!  :scared:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: July 02, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
The other thing you need to remember...most of these stands are set about 7 feet off the ground so pucker factor is certainly there when they come under you.  Having a visitor on your stand can & does happen...Allen & Lloyd where are you   :scared:  

We arrived Saturday mid morning after driving all night (much more enjoyable ride this year with Barry's story telling form the back seat).  Then camp was set up and everyone dispersed to re-bait all the sites.  I think only 4 of us went out the 1st night but 2 stands saw bears.  I usually hunt the Moose Tower stand on the water and only heard a bear close to the stand that night.  As the group can testify, he had to be close for me to hear him   :biglaugh:  

I decide to use my own selfbow this year cause Woody's glass & stone points where just too neat to pass up.  Sunday, I heard a bear around 6:30 pm and saw him every 15 minutes or so but he was too nervous to make the commitment for dinner.  He'd sneak half way down the hill behind the bait then run back up.  The cat & mouse game lasted til around 8 pm.  Then he sneaked in at almost a craw from my right.  When he got even with my stand he looked at the tree and decided to sneak back out.  Most of the time they aren't seeing you but are more afraid some bigger bear is going to chase them off the bait.  Around 8:30 he finally came in but was still very nervous.  I started to draw my bow and he looked up so I froze the draw.  When he turned I pulled back and hit him solidly in the shoulder  :(   without any penetration.  I guess I lost my concentration when he had stopped my draw.  I had my video cam running so we could see the shot back in camp.  

The next morning 5-6 of us did a grid search and didn't find the arrow or any blood.  Now I'm questioning my ability to shoot my selfbow.  I had so much wanted to take a bear especially in this camp with my selfbow and a stone head.

More stories to come, back to the clinic for now...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: July 02, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
Hey, Barry...that bear is DEFINITELY the MAN. I saw Alan's trail cam photo and he is an absolute HAWG of a bear..easily twice as high as the barrel and twice as big around, looked like! The camera actually caught him at 307 pm on Thursday looking down the trail coming into the stand..looks like he heard you coming in!

Wonder where you would like to hunt next year??? Great spending a week with you, man.

Sweet Cheeks
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: July 02, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »

some of the scenery...absolutely magnificent country.

“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: July 02, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
some of the other scenery...

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: July 02, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
Lil' Bobby Walker got the largest bear of the trip..he's still heading home so I will post this here and he can add his story..he saw LOTS of BBEEEEEEAAAAARRRRRS!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: July 02, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »

I had the privilege of filming this hunt for Tippit and I have to tell you it was a tremendous experience...sitting 6 feet above him in the tree, in the catbird seat, watching the whole thing unfold before me..even caught the death moan on camera's audio pickup.

Sorry for the nose of the bear- Jeff wiped it off and it just kept coming out- this bear had major blood leakage issues!

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Man that is awesome.  Congrats to Ray and Bob and I am sure many more to come.  The pics are awesome.  Cant wait to hear and see some more.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
Fabulous story and photos!  Keep 'em coming, ya'll...it's the next best thing to being there!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: July 02, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
Way to go Ray, Bob and Doc.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Ray,  looks like you got rid of the bear jinx.  Looking forward to the stories.
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: July 02, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
This just keeps gettin better. Nice pics Ray!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
wow!!! awesome bear brother bob hey tippit cool looking bear. but hell if i saw any of those i think i would have craped my self. LOL!!!  :scared:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
some of the flora we encountered. This place is so beautiful, its no wonder there are so many bears there.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: July 02, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »

this is Eric handing Barry his bow as he is climbing into his stand...notice the platform height compared to Eric's head height- he's about my height 5'11"...the bears could stand up and reach the platforms in most cases.

That assured a flatter angle to help with double lung hits...bears are tough to blood trail and it helps when they drop in sight!

Online BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Congratulations gentlemen! This looked like an incredible trip.  I sincerely look forward to hearing more stories.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: July 02, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Great story and congrats to one and all!!  :wavey:  Can hardly wait for the rest of the story.

Brent

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©