INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!  (Read 44380 times)

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
Re: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!
« Reply #260 on: July 02, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
Hollywood Hammond glad you made it back home safe.Thanks for posting the cool pics with info.I dropped Don " BOWDOC " Ward at hartford airport this morning for 5:30 am for the flight back to Seattle.As of now it is looking like he is hired as camp cook & entertainment for 2nd Annual BEAT QUEST June 2008' next year.
 This being the 19th year I have been fortunate enough to hunt & bait bears and I must say with 100% sincerity it was the best time of them all.Great guys,alot of Bear action on baits,quite a number of other spiecies spotted whitetails,Moose,lynx & even a Wolf 1st one in 19 years !!! There were also woodchucks,and too many grouse & hares to count !!
 Less than 48 hours after returning from Quebec I have started the wheels turning for 2nd Annual Bear Quest spring 2008'.I am planning on 2-  1 week hunts 12 hunters.For those folks interested they might want to do some serious thinking about attending because there is much interest already.
 It was a treat to hunt with JC again and the other Southern boys Bob Walker & Ray Hammond we had a blast.Bowdoc kept us laughing like you wouldn't believe,he could make Larry the " Cable Guy " wet his pants with his antics and stories.
 Keep those photos comin Tippit,Ray,JC etc.
P.S. Hats off to Woodie Blackwell for making up the order for me for the 9 knapped heads,hope your move goes smooth and you need to make room in your schedule for 2nd Bear Quest next spring <>
          Yours Truly

Tom Phillips    aka    NO NECK
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: July 02, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
GREAT Job Guys. Glad it all worked out for ya. Sounds like an unforgettable hunt.  :readit:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: July 02, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
Ray showed a nice picture of my bear but there are a few details to the story.  After hitting the first bear in the shoulder with a stone point, I put my selfbow back in it's case.  I was going to get serious...Griffin longbow, carbon arrows, and Simmons 190 gr Interceptors with bleeders   :eek:  

Luckily I didn't see anything that night on the Raptor stand.  After Big Bob took his bear, I switched to the Deli stand.  Ray had already filled his tag and was anxious to get back on stand so he agreed to film me.  That night we had a big bear come in 4 times and present at least a dozen great shots.  Finally Ray couldn't take it anymore and leaned down to ask...too small   :knothead:  

Now we were down to 5 hunters and I felt like a kid at Xmas with anticipation...I was ready for some action! Notice my match stick/rubber band arrow keeper. I was going Primitive  :)

A real nice bear with a great coat came in early and the shot was perfect...pass thru double lung cutting the aorta (yea I gave anatomy lesson at skinning time).  As he turned to run back from where he came in, the arrow just fell out right in front of the crib.  He went about 20 yards and we heard the death moan.  As we tracked him the blood trail was great which you usually don't get with bears, the stone head opened a huge hole on both sides.  in fact as we were looking on the ground, I noticed that my pants were covered in blood from the alder leaves on the trail. Ray had filmed the entire sequence...hence the Hollywood nickname!

On the drive out, a wolf ran right in front of our truck!  What a perfect ending.  I don't think we will ever forget it.  Thanks Ray...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: July 02, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
PS: my bow finally got named...The Deli!
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: July 02, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
And here I thought Hollywood had something to do with the shades....

Beautiful pics from all of you and is so wonderful to go along.   :)  

Can't wait for that hollywood filmed version too    :thumbsup:

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: July 02, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
JC, where are you?  I know you have a story for us.     :campfire:    Ray, love the names of the stands.  Been doing that for years back home.  Funny how some of the stands got their names.
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: July 02, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
well i just spoke to bob and he is almost home so i guess we will hear something tomorrow. cool or what   :thumbsup:  hey doc i told ya the spirit of the wolf would be there.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
I knew that yeller wood would look cool against the coal black coat of a bear!   :thumbsup:   Good choice to hold out for what your heart was really wanting.   :cool:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: July 02, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
What a Tasty Meal this hunt is turnin in ta  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Don't weaken boys  :clapper:  Keep feedin us    :goldtooth:

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Well, Bobby and I are finally home from JC and Kims ranch in Georgia. We would have made it sooner but Bobby just HAD to stop at the "Good" fireworks place in SC to get some sho nuff biggons! He's planning on celebrating the 4th of July so's his mom can hear em clean over in the mid-east!!! I wanted to post something tonight even though I am not up to telling the stories and haven't even got the pics downloaded yet. The one VERY IMPORTANT thing that I would like all of ya'll to know, at least the ones that don't, is that MY trip could not have been possible without the kindness of Joe and Kim Coots. When they found out that Brenda had been recalled to active duty and I had no one that I felt comfortable leaving Bobby with for the 10 days, they called and offered for Bobby to stay with Miss Kim, Chase and Connor. For that, I am deeply grateful and there will ALWAYS be a special place in my heart and prayers for this fine family. It was obvious what kind of time Bobby had when he wanted to stay so he could continue helping with the horses rather than go home with dad!!!! Well, we're gonna hit the rack now and will be back on the morrow with pics and stories and videos you won't believe.
Later gang,
Bob
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: July 02, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
Congratulations guy's. Sounds like you all had a great time. Enjoying the stories.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: July 02, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
have a good sleep brother  :wavey:  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: July 02, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »
Really GREAT stuff fellas!!  Excellent photography Ray. I'm ready for more!!  :coffee:
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: July 03, 2007, 06:01:00 AM »
Glad everyone's home safe and sound...Take you time boys...make this one laaaaaassssssstttttt!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: July 03, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »
Great pic's...........congrats on the bears!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: July 03, 2007, 06:37:00 AM »
Did I miss it? Who shot the bear with the other one of Woodys points that Tippit had pictures of?  :confused:
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: July 03, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
Arrowslinger,  
There are 2 more selfbow shooters to report in!  One used a Woody Special and I filmed that so Woody could see his work in action  :thumbsup:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2007, 07:09:00 AM »
Thanks Tippet.  Looking forward to the stories.  I know JC has not reported.  Did you get him to convert to a selfbow?
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: July 03, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »
JC don't even want to pick one up let alone shoot it.  He'd be doing dishes for days to get that Carma Check (let him explain that one)  :biglaugh:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #279 on: July 03, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
I failed to mention the bear action I had with Osage/Bamboo/Baleen self-bow and the arrow I used that was by made RAPTOR Archery and Woodie Blackwell fastened on of his works of art knapped points to the arrow.The head was made from Computer Moniter glass.The bear I arrowed traveled about 80 yards.Jeff & JC skinned the bear for me while I tried to organize all the other camp duties and they retrieved the knapped head from chest cavity.Photo will follow if I figure out the process :-)   Tom
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©