INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!  (Read 44369 times)

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!
« Reply #320 on: July 03, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
The tales so far in this thread have been entertainin, but, I have a feelin when Mister Bowdoc gets goin we'd all better be strapped in for a good ride!!!  :thumbsup:    :coffee:  er sumthin.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Christopher Horsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #321 on: July 03, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
Barry, were`d ya get the marula liquor. Oh yeh and nice bears y`all.
All I want on my headstone is:-
He was a good Daddy.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #322 on: July 03, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
The reality of work and the ensuing depression of this hunt slipping into the realm of memories has taken it's toll. Sorry for the delay guys...not intentionally delaying the stories and pics.

I'll start my tale chronologically so you guys can get the same feel of the hunt I had as it happened:

6/21/07: Bob and Bobby arrived late Thursday afternoon, a bit road weary and nervous with anticipation of the upcoming events. Good to see may old Comrade, flet as if we'd left Texas just a few days before...guess it's always like that between good friends. We spent some great time with the family, had a great meal and I finished a few last minute packing chores. Everything ready to go, we said our goodnights for the last time for 10 days. I slept fitfully, dreaming of large bruins just out of bow range.

6/22/07: Up and out early, Bob and I beat traffic to the airport; or at least I told Bob that but he wouldn't believe me. Atlanta traffic, even on it's best day, is still traffic. An hour and a half through security etc. we sat at our gate. A half hour before take-off I noticed there still were very few people at the gate. I checked with the flight attendent and low and behold, the gate had been changed from the time we got our tickets to security...we hussled to the appropriate demarcation point just in time to board. Only real pros should start a trip off that close to disaster     ;)    

Arriving at Boston, much smaller airport than I expected, Tippit met us curbside just as we exited with our bags. Sure was good to see him, life is simply too short to not have your hunting brothers with you at all times. Only problem was, he was there in a convertible! Now, Bobbo & Tippit have about 13 feet of legs between the both of them...coupled with all our hunting gear, we had an interesting time on our ride. Course, Tippit's main transpo was down and Molly had the truck...as any good horsewoman's husband about to be off for 10 days will tell you, when she asks for the truck, she gets the truck!

A short while later we arrived at Tippit's, followed closely by Barry Wensel and Steve (curveman). With our lunch, we feasted on constant stories flowing from Barry...to say I was a bit starry-eyed was putting it mildly. Just a down to earth, puts-his-pants-on-one-leg-at-a-time feller, Barry acted as if he had no idea I considered him a living legend in the tradtional bowhunting community. He continually impressed me throughout the trip with not only a constant stream of interesting and entertaining stories but his unassuming nature and an ever-present desire to teach those willing to learn. Many thanks "Uncle" Barry     :readit:    .

We killed a bit of time fondling the arsenal of knives we were to test...

this was going to be a good trip     :thumbsup:  I promised Tippit I wouldn't post pics of his man cave (for fear that Molly would get thousands of angry calls from housewives complaining that their husbands had converted their basements into a den full of bows). Guys, you've not seen the likes of fine bows, collector bows, antler stacks, big horned mounts, dozens and dozens of arrows, fly rods, boots etc. in all your days. It was everything Tippit could do to run me out of there. Did I mention I knew already this was going to be a good trip?

We loaded...or overloaded as it were, our gear into Steve's truck, crammed 5 guys into the cab and proceeded to the meeting point 3 hours North. Barry's stories and the rest of the truck's laughter made it a short trip. Meeting up with Tom, Doc, Lloyd, Alan, Eric, Brian, and my brother Ray at Lloyd's shop; we loaded some more gear and headed out for the 10 hour drive to the camp.

Most of the rest of that evening was a blur...mainly a blur through the windshield as we drove through the night, swapping coffee filled drivers as each grew tired during his shift.

6/23/07: It gets light EARLY this time of the year that far North...we saw dawn somewhere around 4:30am, of course through the windshield. Our trip through the French/Canadian province reminded me how much French I had forgotten from my Cajun uncle.

more to come...
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #323 on: July 03, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
:campfire:    :archer:   Been waiting for this...
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #324 on: July 03, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
I really wished I could have been on this trip, but the stories being told makes me feel as if I was there. Seems like the only thing I'm missing is a bear rug!

Thanks again for sharing!!!

Robert
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #325 on: July 03, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
JC, glad you finally got this going.  I know this will be good.  I can't wait to see a picture of that bear.

:campfire:
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #326 on: July 03, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I saw Barry charge the bathroom after that "marula liquor, chocolate eclairs, and beer" night and if his charge at the bear was anything like that, I suspect that bear is STILL running away!     :biglaugh:    
Amarula is made from the marula fruit that elephants get drunk on. Trust me. It works! I don't remember what Ray was saying either!    :)
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #327 on: July 03, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
Hey Ray it seems odd to eat off a glass plate huh.I went to toss it in the fire place after dinner and my wife thought I was nuts.I told her thats how you wash the dishes in Canada ahh!Man I need help.JC please don't stop.bowdoc

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #328 on: July 03, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
well come on ya cant keep me waiting as i am half way across world. not fear LOL!!!! and where the hell is bob and his pics and story i may even go to sleep if this takes to long LOL!!!
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #329 on: July 03, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
Hey Steve I saw Barry in his draws at 5 A.M.that morning asking if we had any more TP.That was a sight.bd

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #330 on: July 03, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
Keep the stories coming Joe. This is bound to be one for the books. Congratulations on your bear.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #331 on: July 03, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
You're right Doc...sure does feel funny eating off china...the food is good...but it isn't the same...and I'm having a hard time getting back into the daily routine here...

Well, JC, I'm killing time..on with the story telling!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline nyhunter73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #332 on: July 03, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »
Hi, This is Allen from the Bear Quest and new member of Tradgang. I am fairly new to traditional archery so I can learn alot here. If the rest of you are anything like the boys I hunted with this past week I would be proud to be a part of this group.I was one of the two that did not kill a bear BUT, in the 9 years I have baited and hunted with Tom, this was by far the most rewarding hunt. Met some great people and of course got to share camp with Barry Wensel. I also had some very exciting nights in the stand.
Lets just say I got to pet a live wild bear. When I figure out how to post pictures and video I have some good closeup footage.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #333 on: July 04, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Keep it coming guys! This has me on the edge of my seat.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #334 on: July 04, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »
Woodchucher,thank you those are some kind words.Thats nice to hear.I would have normaly been shooting my 1964 Kodiak 55# factory camo.But do to travel on the planes today I decided to use a Bear take down.It's a B mag riser with factory camo # 2 limbs scaleing 53#.I was pretty happy to have a take down for the Quebec hunt as I always worry about my one peace bows in shipping.I took two Bill Sweetland forge wood arrows weighing about 550 grains.The Sweetlands were tipped with 1964 Bear razor heads using head shrinkers and bleeder blades.Everything worked out great.The T/D made the trip there and back in my luggage.I used some of that white plastic pipe to pack my arrows in and protect the broadheads.Away me Fred and Bill went.6,185 miles later we all made it home safe and not much worse for wear.Well that is all but one Bill.Yes me best Bill died one week ago last saturday,Bill was snaped like the wooden stick it was when Mr.Black hit the brush like a run away freight train after Bill passed between his ribs and half way out the other side.Cheep price to pay for a short blood trail.Thanks again for the kind words.bowdoc

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #335 on: July 04, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
this thread = the essence of Trad Gang!!!    :campfire:  
awesome hunt guys, can't wait to hear the rest.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #336 on: July 04, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
Allen maybe new to Traditional Archery but he's one up on a lot...he killed a real nice bear with the LDB last year!  And he is a Bear Magnet  :scared:  When he posts his pictures...hold on to your Coffee with Both hands   :notworthy:  If Uncle Barry is impressed, ya'll will be blown away...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #337 on: July 04, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
We have one more guy to report in...Eric another selfbow maker/hunter.  He has made some real puurty bows all on his own.  Can't wait til some of you self bowyers get your hands on him.  He's not a member here yet but I'm sure you will all enjoy him & his work...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #338 on: July 04, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
Jeff my keyboard is full of drool going through this thread, what a great hunt.....keep it coming please.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #339 on: July 04, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
Wait a minute,I did not eat any of those chocolate laclairs,nor did I consume any of the elephant whiskey.Did not sip on one ice cold long nick whom spent a night or two with the boy's.But Ray's a cheep date and riot to hang with.I love ya man and miss your deep belly laugh already,bowdoc PS Uncle Barry sorry about the soup I served with the laclairs,The  boy's were feeling you may shoot a bigger bear then they would.They paid me to do that.Nothing personal just business you know.Hope your feeling better and it should all pass in the next 8-10 months or so.If you don't start to gain the weight back e mail me.I will fix you up next season as customs seems to have snatch the roots out of my luggage.Good luck and hope your better.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©