INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!  (Read 44262 times)

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!
« Reply #460 on: July 05, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Great story Joe...congrats to you and the whole crew on the hunt.  Still waiting on a yarn from Border Bob.  :thumbsup:

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: July 05, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
Very well done JC! I was enthralled and I was there!   :)  

Like any proud hunter, I have to show a picture of m'boy!

Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: July 05, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
Tippit mentioned that many of our stands were a little lower than usual. Here is the one I took my bear from:

My bear came RIGHT under that treestand. Llyod hunted that stand as well. Where are ya Llyod?
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: July 05, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
JC, thank you for sharing your magnificent tale and congratulations on a beautiful bruin!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #464 on: July 05, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
Pretty bear, Curveman!  All I can say about that stand is that I'm glad your bear wasn't in a bad mood. One swipe and he might have been taking his picture with you in stead of the reverse!!!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: July 05, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
I mean "instead"...
Pinecone

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #466 on: July 05, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Hi all....I have to apologize for not posting about the hunt yet but I've been up to my perverbial rear in gators since returning from JC's. Been getting everything in order so that Bobby and I can begin our summer adventure, which will start in the morning. We're heading out for Tejas to pick up Bobby's new Jagd Terrier pup which will be our bear tracker next year in Quebec!! Then we hope to see Gary and Curtis Kellar on our way through and then stop for some hog and javie hunting south of San Antonio. From there, out to New Mexico to meet up with Whip for a few days of camping and socializing. After we leave Whip's camp, we'll be heading to Wyoming to homestead with Iron Bull for a couple of weeks and hope to stop on the way to dig for fossils and dinosaur bones. Should be a memorable trip for both Bobby and I. We'll be camping along the way but will stop over in a motel every few days for a hot shower and a dose of tradgang. I'll try to get a few posts in here and there. JC seems to be doing the whole Quebec crew proud with his story telling. There's definitely some Charles Lamb influence in his writing style although I've not been able to read through the whole thread yet.

I have to say "Hats Off" to Tom, Allen and Lloyd for their hunt preperations. I can honestly say that I've never been on a more fun hunt!! Traveling and overnighting with Barry was a treat in itself even though he snores like Mount St. Helens erupting. I swear my bed shook and he was in the next room! And the icing on the cake for me was leaving Quebec with not one but TWO Tippit knives. It just don't get any better than this!!  I was able to share camp again with a few old friends and for the first time with some new ones. I even met up with one "Old Friend" that, even though I've never shared a campfire with in this life, I know I have in another life. Don, I love you, brother, and I promise we will share many campfires in the future!

Well, I gotta get some shuteye now, got an early start in the am.
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: July 05, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Have a great time Bob and Bobby. Will be looking forward to that thread too!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #468 on: July 05, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Hello Bob, yall be careful and have a great time! Skyler just read this and he wants to go. We look foward to hearing the story of this trip and take plenty of pics. Don and Sky
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #469 on: July 05, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
This is awesome!! Congrats to everyone and great story JC....I've already contacted Tom and he put me down for 2008.  :readit:   Looking forward to it,now keep them stories coming.   Mike

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: July 06, 2007, 06:47:00 AM »
Great stories and pictures gentlemen! Thanks!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: July 06, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
CJ, I couldn't carry Charlie Lamb's or Barry Wensel's quiver...now there's two story tellers! Having shared camps with them both, I'd buy any book or read any article either decided to pen.

6/27/07 I got up early and took my fly rod to the boat. I had promised my Pop I would fish Canada no matter what. Tippit and I had already seen some promising spots that would provide a shallow water fisherman some opportunity in this deep, cold lake. Last night's bear was a surreal dream...the reality hadn't really sunk in even as I smoothed the pelt before I left the camp this morning. The day was wet and a bit cold, but I didn't feel it as I motored across the chop on the lake...again replaying the past days of the trip in my mind. I'd already seen more bears on this trip than my lifetime combined.

I picked up a few small pike and perch on my 6wt. For me, it was enough. I headed back to camp for a Bowdoc breakfast.

After breakfast we went to work on the bears. While skinning mine, the rain came and we moved the table under the canopy. Ray took some excellent pictures of an anatomical post-mortem, he'll be along here shortly to share them for any future bear hunters. Like every other big game animal I've hunted, skinning one out and doing a thorough anatomy evaluation makes a big difference in knowing exactly where the vitals are. You can see it in drawings all you want, but seeing it as it actually is becomes a valuable learning tool.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #472 on: July 06, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
ray,bowdoc,tippit,jc and evryone else,this has been some of the best reading ive seen.it could all be published(and probably will.)jc the emotion you described is very hard to explain the ups and downs of a hunt all i can say is wow you nailed it.well done.hope there is more

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #473 on: July 06, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
Big Bear Bob Walker,the hog stalker.My Stetson is off to you my friend.There are not many whom would be as devoted to his or her child as you are.Any man can be a father Bob,but few can be a real Dad.Buddy you are the man.I feel we all learned something that week in the bush.Not just about bears,no.Like I said in my first post to the gang.The tail of bears,family,friends,good food,life and the love of something not many will understand about us.There loss.But maybe just maybe some of us walked away with a better understanding of life and what a true Traditional Archer feels in his heart and sole.That trip was about far more then bear hunting.May the big man guide you and Bobby on your journey.He will keep a sharp eye over Brenda until she arrives home and you three will spend the rest of your lives together.You are a true friend,and one heck of a fine fine southern gentelmen sir.Take good care of that lad with you,feed him well,nurish him, teach him to be strong and teach him to hunt like his father.I really believe in my heart our children will be products of thier invierment.My dad took me hunting,I took my son hunting,now we take the grandsons hunting.Life is good.Thank you Bob for allowing me to spend time in the bush with you.Besides I can't wait to get Little Bear Bob Walker Jrs butt in camp and teach him a thing or two.Me and Ray boom boom Hammond gonna take him out baiting.Life is good,bowdoc

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: July 06, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
I guess I fell a little short in my duties...but my hunt was so uncharacteristically short, and without incident, that I guess I just didn't feel I had a lot to tell.

Barry and I went out Saturday with Tom and Allen as soon as we got our gear stowed- to make a baiting run. I wanted to see some of the setups first hand and get an idea of where I might be hunting.

We ran 6 or 7 baits and it was obvious to me  this was going to be a good bear hunt. There were many trees around these bait sites that had been bitten or clawed by the bears and the bark ripped down to the roots so the bears could lick the cambium layer of the tree and obtain what's required to get their digestive systems back up and running after coming out of hibernation.

The ground around the bait sites was clear of brush, spots up over our heads marked up by claws, and at least 3 or 4 heavily worn trails moving into every bait we looked at.

There was something about three of the baits which I felt made them better candidates than the others, but only slightly. Deli, Bowl, and Resurrection. They decided to put Bob on Deli, me on The Bowl, and Barry was happy with Resurrection so it was decided.

On the way back from baiting, Barry said he was feeling a little whipped and thought he might sit out going to stand- worried about fallng asleep etc..and I thought that was a great idea as I had actually driven 9 hours Thursday, 10 hours Friday, plus a stop at Cabela's in Pennsylvania and a late lunch near Hudson NY with my friend Alex Bugnon-then rode up with Lloyd all the way to camp Friday night/Saturday morning, so I followed suit.

We set up a practice treestand and some bear targets.After setting up our bows we shot some practice arrows. The fellows who wanted to sit that first night went out, and the rest of us busied ourselves around camp.

The evening was quiet until Bowdoc showed up with his 'first and fastest' bear..and announced he would be the chief cook from that point forward! I for one am glad he did as he treated us to some fine meals during the course of the week.

On Sunday afternoon the whole camp got out on stand. I made it to The Bowl around 5, with Allen dropping me off- as we walked in quietly we bumped a bear off the bait- a pretty good sign, I figured. Allen came in with me to bang the barrel a little and make it sound like normal baiting activity while I got squared away in the stand. That accomplished, off he went with well wishes for a good evening.

As the vehicle started up and drove off, fading into the distance, there was nothing but the quiet, at least to city dwellers that is - but it's anything but real quiet in a forest- birds, bugs, the wind whispering in the birch leaves and caressing the needles at the tops of the spruces seemed to wrap its arms around me and tell me I was where I was meant to be- peaceful, yes, quiet, no.

I sat there analyzing the different trails coming to the stand, to see if I could determine which direction the bear might come from.The wind was blowing from my left, and angling toward the road we parked on.

While I was doing that, a black form appeared straight in front of me..moving slowly..stopping often to stick its nose in the air - for me- for a sow-I'm not sure..(most bears here seemed a little cautious coming to bait,I gathered by the end of the week) which squares  with having high bear numbers and them wanting to keep from getting their rear ends kicked, as lots of boars were moving around trying to find a sow in season at this time of year.

The bear seemed to have a great coat, and was the largest bear I'd had come within shooting distance on three previous bear hunts where I never took a shot because the bears seemed too small.

In about 5 minutes the bear veered off the main trail coming in, and went to the right apparently wanting to circle the bait before coming in.

When the wind from the bait barrel hit his nose, however, all plans to circle left him and he turned on a dime -moving straight to the bait - immediately grabbing a piece of pork.

I was planning on waiting for him to get comfortable, but with his body broadside, his left foreleg moved forward I figured "why wait?"

He was five yards in front of me and in less time than it takes to tell I drew from my seated position, anchored, picked my exit hole and the arrow appeared through the side of the bear in exactly the spot I wanted it to, doing a "Steve Martin"- half way out each side.

The bear roared and exploded out of there, reversing his route in. He snapped the arrow off and both pieces landed on the ground about 4 yards down the trail. He ran angling up the sidehill route he came in on and just about 2 seconds after leaving, he began rolling down the hill, and came to rest against a log.

I immediately heard the death moan- three times- softer each time- as JC says, there is not a sound quite like that anywhere in my experience.

And that was it- all the weeks of hunting prior bear trips with no success, two weeks of anticipation about this hunt- in a matter of 25 minutes from being put on stand, it was OVER.

I waited 5 minutes, but there seemed little reason to continue as I was watching the bear through my Leicas and he did not move once. So I decided rather than sit here and stink up the site, perhaps messing up the bait for someone else, I got down, got my gear together, and moved over to check my bruin.

A great blood trail I didn't need to follow led me to my bear. I sat there a few minutes looking at his coat and impressive claws and teeth, grabbed a leg to drag him out to the road.

He didn't move much at all. I pulled a little harder- and felt something in my gut twinge. I needed help. I also thought about pulling him all that way and realized it might mess up the coat, which I wanted to get soft tanned, so off I went to get the vehicle and help.

I did not know exactly where Allen was but knew the general area so headed out to get the vehicle and back to camp for some strong backs.

I walked by the river, about 2 miles to the dead end, and turned left, heading away from the main road, where I thought Allen should be parked.

Another two miles though, brought me to another intersection-I checked tracks in the road and really could not determine where he had gone, so I decided to head back to the dead end, and wait there until dark rather than risk missing him.

I rounded the first corner going back and a small paddled bull moose walked across the road, going up a hill which I later learned put him on a path toward a stand I think was called "the Ridge". Cool. I like meeses.

I waited, watching a huge variety of birds, a red squirrel getting nabbed by an owl, and just as it got too dark to see,here came Allen. It had been exactly 4 hours since I shot my bear.

We exchanged stories about our luck, and decided to retrieve my bear. On our arrival,Allen checked the bear and said it was a decent one- above average for the area. He wanted us to grab it up and walk out with it.

My hernia had other ideas though. I asked if we could tie it to a pole and walk it out that way and Allen agreed. We did, and with some difficulty I picked up my end of the bargain and we walked him to the truck- I fell twice trying to get over logs but no harm was done to anything but my pride.

We got back to camp and learned that several of our folks had been successful. It was a night full of celebration and congratulations. We would retrieve those still unrecovered, take photos, and skin them all- in the morning.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline nyhunter73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: July 06, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
Tom wanted me to post a picture for him. I will let him tell the story.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: July 06, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
JC mentioned these autopsy photos- the first one you see is the entrance hole- high, close to shoulder- what you would look for in a treestand shot. That's the neck and head just behind JC's arm.

“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #477 on: July 06, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
and here is the same view, minus the pelt. JC is pushing the leg forward.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #478 on: July 06, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
the exit wound, with the foreleg pulled forward- the broadhead actually went through the back of the foreleg as it exited, I believe.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: July 06, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
with the shoulder removed, and ribs opened on the entrance side, here is what is BETWEEN the legs of the bear. JC is pointing to the bottom of the lung, and just below and behind that is the heart. the top of the bear's back is toward the camera- see the spine?

If you hit behind the leg, then you are into just liver and the digestive tract, and that means no blood trail, and a long, difficult, usually disappointing trail leading to nowhere.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©