INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!  (Read 44259 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!
« Reply #480 on: July 06, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
nice pic, Tom! That's a bow by John Strunk...if I were going to shoot a self bow..it would be one of John's masterpieces.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #481 on: July 06, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
Different bows,arrows and quivers we got to see in action on this trip.I love them all.Eveyone had his favorite.As seen in the pics Doctari and no neck Tom both arrowed bears with knapped heads made of stone or glass.I won't spoil there story's.But let me say we were all impressed with that head.Someone was using a Razor Cap 3 blade? a Simmons or Simons some kind of shark was being honed to a razors edge by JC at a rickity old wooden kitchen table.Me,file sharpend Bear razor heads.Bleeder blade installed please.I saw a couple old Ben Pearsons Deadheads floating around that wooden table.Wensel was shooting some heads he swiped from a dude named Gene????????? I ai'nt got a clue.As for bows,Eric,Doctari and no neck were shooting self bows.Nothing but mother natures finest matirals for them boy's.Some where backed with.......... Well let them tell ya, Curveman shoots a Robin Hood in camp with his favorite bow.Yes a Robin Hood was tagged as well by the curvester Steve.But everyone's bows arrows quivers and broadheads worked out great.  Ray boom boom can set above me in a tree stand any dark rainy river swollen La Tuque night!!!!!

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #482 on: July 06, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
I want to commend everyone that was on this hunt for allowing all of us to share with you the excitement of this hunt.  I have to admit before this thread I had never really given much thought to hunting bear, but reading these stories has sparked a interest in the idea.

Thanks Ray and JC for giving us a tutorial on the anatomy of the bear.    :thumbsup:   I really liked those pictures.

This is why I switched to traditional gear. I hope to share a camp with you guys someday.     :campfire:      :clapper:      :clapper:  

Keep the stories coming.
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #483 on: July 06, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
Thanks for the anatomy lesson guys.  You can shoot 3-D targets in preparation but seeing how it is all packed in there brings it all together.  Thanks again and again for the great stories.  Keep them comming.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #484 on: July 06, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
Whoooweeee! Ya'll shoulda seen Tom's bow, baleen backed osage...just flawless and tricked out about as far as a selfbow can go. I mean...it made ME even think about selfbows.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #485 on: July 06, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Boom boom your right again.Nice looking pic of No Neck.Now Lady's before you get to excited and run your credit cards over the limit booking a hunt in 09.He's got a gal friend.And and he's pretty sweet on her.So don't even think about it.I love ya No Neck ,now can I have that bud!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #486 on: July 06, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Next year, I'm bringin' my little canoe so guys can explore those beaver ponds.  JC & I caught a few little native brookies on his fly rod...I'm sure there are some bigger ones at the back of the pond  :thumbsup:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #487 on: July 06, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
And next year, I'm getting video footage of Ray after 2 glasses of Marula   :readit:    :biglaugh:  

Been missin yer stories Bowdoc...and maybe yer cookin jest a little...I mean, at least the entertainment while you were cookin! Thanks again for everything you did to make that trip so special. Looking forward to sharing camp with you again soon. P.S., looks like Allen's Kadiak is gonna find a new home, I sure hope she likes GA.

Jeff, can you make it up to the Cohutta hunt 9/15-16?

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #488 on: July 06, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »
JC, I'm going to try.  I should be able to if the dove hunting is like it has been the last few years.(good for the first week or two only)  How is the hunting at Cohutta?
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #489 on: July 06, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
The hunting is great...it's the killing that's a lil slow   :rolleyes:  

We do always have a great time during that hunt though. Should have a pretty big camp this year...there are 7-8 committed so far. See the details on the TBG thread...we'll talk about it more at the banquet.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #490 on: July 06, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
I'am missing my cooken a little too I guess,or really just missing the group and all the bear dung flyen around the table.But next year will bring new tails to be told of the season past.Hey one more thing? How did you and Ray Boom boom finaly stop throughing you diner plates into the fireplace???I did it again last night after we ate.I responed to my wife once again!!  Thats how you wash dishes in Canada Ahh.Things seemed OK for a minute then I said you hoser at the end of Ahh.That did it!!!!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #491 on: July 06, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Bowdoc, I'm married to a horsewoman...we eat off paper plates all the time unless there's company   :readit:

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #492 on: July 06, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
This thread is an Odyssey! All of you guys winding your way to the great wet north. Fantastic.

Ray, good thing you listened to your body. I herinated a disk pulling my bear through the muskeg in Alberta and suffered for months.

I do believe you and JC should collaborate and write this baby up for TBM!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #493 on: July 06, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
Man I blew coffee into the key broad on that one kid.What a woman,You are a lucky man to have a gal that will put up with the likes of a Traditional Bowhunter.I been married to one for over 36 years.She always says she understands.And I belive she really does.The family always comes first.But then she also me to go outside and play.Ya gotta love em ya just gotta.bd

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #494 on: July 06, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
so far this has been the best story telling i have heard in a long time. hey brother bob you and bobby have a safe trip and good hunting. and you got it. the spirit of the wolf will be there with ya looking after you both. i will be seeing ya soon 2 and a bit months to go. LOL!!!
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #495 on: July 06, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Bowdoc....lifes too short to do dishes....or at least 3 or 4 times a week....  :D

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #496 on: July 06, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
hey miss kim a girl after my own heart i hate dishes. down with dishes i say LOL!!!! yoy are one lucky man jc dont have to do dishes  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #497 on: July 06, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
Given all the stone points and selfbows, I am very surprised we even used PAPER plates! Why didn't we just stake pit something over the fire and hack meat off with our hunting knives?! OK, next year it's NO plates!    :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #498 on: July 06, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Good idea,I like it.That will save on water too.bd

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #499 on: July 06, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
Cooking on sticks?  :eek:  
You'll put your eye out.  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©