INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!  (Read 44260 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!
« Reply #500 on: July 06, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Killdeer,they had a bottle of this stuff.It's gets elephants drunk.No sharp stick cooking,bd

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #501 on: July 07, 2007, 06:51:00 AM »
Who'da thunka drunken trunks?  :biglaugh:  
Killdeer~Dishes synonymous? No. Dishes silly!
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #502 on: July 07, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
Well Ray's kicked in his story....where's the rest of ya'll? You gonna make us tell these tales all alone?

6/27/07 Cont'd

After the rain came through and the bear processing was over, I took Steve out for a fishing foray. Sadly, the high pressure rolled in right after the storm and what started out as a pleasant morning catching fish, turned out into a nice boat ride. Back at camp we chose duties for baiting runs, chores and a trip into town.

Tom, Bob, Ray and I made the hour and a half trek into La Tuque. Sometime during this trip, and I can't remember what day, I learned a valuable lesson about Canadian gravel roads. I was driving Lloyd's truck with Ray, Brian, and Tippit inside to go check out a beaver pond. Now Canucks drive about 150mph (or 240km/h as it may be)on roads covered with ball bearings that pass for gravel. There was a guy trying to rub the chrome off of Lloyd's rear bumper, so being the considerate southerner I am, I pulled over. Now thankfully Ray is VERY loud when he's near death...because as I pulled to the shoulder, Ray politely informed me shoulder was simply a pile of loose gravel between the hard road and a 30' dropoff down through the "brush" (the brush turned out to be treetops). The situation was so severe, our normally calm and composed Tippit even uttered a few kindly phrases about my driving ability. As luck would have it, Lloyd's diesel is 4wheeldrive and about 1000 horsepower...a minute later we were back on solid road with only crease down the middle of each seat to show for it (pucker factor was about 12 on a scale of 1-10). Needless to say, I cared nothing for driving after that (nor do I think they would have let me anyway). I had walked the shoulder in a few different spots and it was solid as the roadbed...but this area was different. It would have been helpful to know such information BEFORE I had been on Canadian roads, so I'm passing it along "DON"T PULL OVER!"   :scared:  

Anyway, my cell worked in town so we all made a call, picked up some groceries, and bought a $30 pizza. Now it was the best pizza I've ever had, but dang....$30!!  :saywhat:  It's kinda tastes like bailey's with a hint of fruit/orange/chocolate. Very pleasant, but a bit rich for me.

On the way back to camp we baited up Tom's stand and left the last piece of pizza in front of the barrel...a lil something extra for a big bruin.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #503 on: July 07, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
:clapper:        :clapper:    I vote, this has got to be the best tread of the year! We that did'nt go, are green with envy!

Thanks for taking us green ones along

Brent

But would have passed on the road trip. Pun intended.  :jumper:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #504 on: July 07, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
Hello my name is bowdoc and I'am a bearaholic and recurve user,yes I am still using daily since returning from Quebec and this is my story.Went to Canada,shot a bear,ate some food,laughed my butt off,met some new friends,more food,more laughter,skin more bears,eat again,laughing still,gave Barry Wensel the trotts,skin more bears,ate again,pretty cool time,I ai'nt got no camera,but someone took a picture I saw the flash,we used a bo-n-aero,thanks bowdoc

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #505 on: July 07, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
OK, I confess I ate that slice of pizza off Tom's bait pile! At $4.00 a slice, it was too good for the bear I figured but I'm not admitting to also snaggin' one of the doughnuts -can't prove anything!        :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #506 on: July 07, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
See I kinda thought everyone would start comeing clean.Don't you feel better now curveman????????????????

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #507 on: July 07, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
I was wondering about the cost of bear bait there myself!
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #508 on: July 08, 2007, 01:13:00 AM »
"......then I said you hoser at the end of Ahh.That did it!!!! " Bowdoc, I almost died laughing when I read that!!!  :biglaugh:  That was great! You made my day with that one!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #509 on: July 08, 2007, 02:06:00 AM »
Hello All ,And congratulations on your hunt and thanks for taking us along.I don't mean to hyjack your thread but I want to tell my story as well ,Thank you Greg for the invite and all of your hard work with helping us out on the hunt.I'll make it as short as I can . I sat on stands for three nights without seeing anything one of those nights was in the rain ,I decided that night I wasn't going to shoot anything because of the rain and later learned that the other guys had decided the same thing. They left there stands early and was dry by the time I came out of the bush soaked. Greg had dropped me off at the stand site and said he went to his stand and when it started to rain hard he got down and went for a ride in his truck he said he didn't want to disturb my hunt so he didn't come in and get me .That's Greg always thinking of someone else, Thanks Greg .Had an enjoyable evening but still didn't see anything . Moved to another bait that had a camera set up on it and had pictures of the bear that I eventually killed the next night. Again Greg dropped me of at the stand site where with the camera we knew the bear was coming in as soon as we got done baiting ,so greg walked in with me and rattled the bait bucket while I climbed into the tree stand, Greg left then all got ouiet for awhile, I started hearing brush break out by the road and was wondering what it was until I heard it walking down the rock covered road and could tell it was a moose. Then there was a butterfly which landed on my shoulder and stayed there for a half an hour at least, If i looked out of the corner of my eye i could see the wings moving back and forth, After relaying this to my wife about the wings on my shoulder see laughed and said that's the only pair of wings I'll have on my shoulder. I said I'm trying honey I really am. Then a humming bird starts circling me and my orange vest thinking he's found the mother load of flowers at 6 '3 and three hundred and thirty pounds I must have looked impressive to him. I just felt like this was going to be the night, Anyway i hear foot steps behind me not wanting to turn around to see what it is because being only seven foot off the ground and dead calm I didn't want to move anyway it was close real close I kept looking between my feet on the stand and expecting to see a nose or something it never happened ,it paced back and forth once and then walked off, so I don't know what it was for sure. Then about twenty minutes later i heard footsteps again and was trying to determine the direction when I realized it was coming from the front of me I could see the bushes moving and the sounds getting closer thinking here he comes then about thirty five yards out pokes the head of a wolf he's lifts his nose and I'm sure he gets a snoot full of me ,but doesn't seem to be afraid and walks out in front of me and completely circles me and gets behind me still only about twenty five yards away then walks off. I'm thinking this is incredible, Then back to  the deafening slience except for the bugs buzzing in my ears. About twenty minutes later sound from the same direction as the wolf come from and in the same spot another wolf sticks it's head out of the bushes catches  a wiff of me and is gone like the wind. Then again the dead calm about twenty minutes later I hear foot falls and a bear my bear marches to the bait and lays down and starts chewing on a bone ,I'm waiting for the shot to present itself and he rolls over on his back and scratches himself ,I almost laugh out loud thinking of those sharp claws and he had better be careful. Anyway he stands and rolls a log off the pile and lands on his foot he stops for a second and starts licking the sweet stuff we had for them. He's broadside and moves his front leg forward that's all I need and the Don Gilson stone tipped arrow head is on it's way and to the target, goes through and sticks into a log and breaks off, then he's gone in a flash and we recover him in the morning . My turn to do some work right now ,I have to go .Again thanks greg and i hope I didn't offend anyone for telling my story on your thread. Can't wait until the end Of August Montana bound. Thanks Gib

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #510 on: July 08, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
Wow Gib,thats the treat of a life time.I been to Quebec 3 times with Tom and friends and into Canada several times near the Washington border where I live.One time in the northeast corner of Wash.Me and another bowhunter got a quick glips of a pretty good sized 70-80 pound greyish in color K-9 moveing like a streak of lightening at about 150 yards.We went into town later that day and there happend to be a game agent gasing up at the local service station.I asked him if maybe that was a ferrule K-9.He told us that more likely it was a young wolf.When the snow flies up north I guess a few venture down into Washington.Beautiful critter if even for a glips.Congrat,on the hunt and the extra bonus.bd

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #511 on: July 08, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
Awesome thread guys...one of the best ever!

Joe...you do have some story telling talent their Bud...really enjoyed your writing.  Among many things, your youthful excitement and joy really came through and brought back to the surface some feelings I have remembering back to my one and only bear harvest...they are special arent they? Thanks and congrats to you and everyone else, sounds like quite the time.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #512 on: July 08, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Ray & I had a wolf run in front of our truck on the way out from tagging my bear with my own selfbow & Woody's stone point...talk about a special event in my bowhunting career   :thumbsup:  I couldn't even imagine writing that script!  One of my most precious moments shared with a great friend...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #513 on: July 08, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
Thats the iceing on the cake Doc,bd

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #514 on: July 08, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Really enjoyed the pictures and story guys. The best trip I've ever gone on in my puter room  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

It has it all, suspense, danger, great wildlife pics, humour, high top tennys  :)  , well you get the picture

Thanks for taking the time, RS

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #515 on: July 08, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Gib!
Very cool!!!
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #516 on: July 08, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
see doc i told ya i would be there  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #517 on: July 09, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
Just got in from 5 days in west Texas. I got all caught up on the thread in one sitting. Good stuff fella's! Congrats to all. Looks like it was a wonderful trip. CK

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #518 on: July 09, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
actually,

It's not half over...wait till you see the footage that's coming..as well as Bob and Lloyd and Tom's stories..amazing stuff.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #519 on: July 09, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
Ray boom boom Hammond,I got the vdb or vbd or vhs or vcr saturday from Jr.Whatever that shiney little disk is called.Fits into your pc and loaded with pic's and video's.Nice job Jr you out did yourself this time.The grip is almost completed.bowdoc

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©