INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!  (Read 44150 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quebec Bear Hunt--2 Bears Arrowed on Video--added pg 42!!
« Reply #700 on: August 07, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
Yes I agree,it looked like she'd seen better days in the finish department.If you like,you can cash in that bowdoc's restorations card I slipped ya in Quebec??????? Remember that card is worth one free restoration on the bow of your choice anytime.bd

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #701 on: August 07, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
Doc, she's still lookin sweet. I may cash that in one day....until then, I'll just sit and look at it with fond memories of our hunt.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #702 on: August 07, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
Speaking of Bear Bows as in black bears, I think both Allen & Lloyd ordered bows at Denton!  If I'm not mistaken:  Lloyd was smitten by Hope in Quebec and got Rick Ellis of Striker to make up a real bear slayer for next season.  Allen ordered a McCullough 59er recurve.  It will be hard gettin' to the bear stands before them next year   :thumbsup:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline nyhunter73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #703 on: August 07, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
Yup, I ordered me a 59er w/ bowbolt BUT was told it could be a year, so I don't know if it will make it to Quebec next year. I should have another Bowdoc customized 59 replica for the hunt. Can't wait to shoot it.

Doc, As much as you(and I)like your Griffens, I know I couldn't go wrong. Even got that striped ebony in the riser and black glass limbs.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #704 on: August 07, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Well if it don't make it in time, I could probably find something for you to shoot    :bigsmyl:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #705 on: August 07, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
Doc, got DVD's in the mail today...wow...how great is that?????? I think we should submit the one of your bear hunt to Terry for the second TradGang DVD
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #706 on: August 08, 2007, 12:48:00 AM »
Good idea Ray.......I'm still on page 21......T shirts and DVDs are taking up too much of my time....like I said...I'm savoring!

I'd love to have some footage of this hunt for the next one.....and I'm sure other's would as well.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #707 on: August 08, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
Terry,  
You need to get to pg 42  :D   Then if you like the little clips, you can have whatever footage you want!  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #708 on: August 08, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
Tippitster thanks dude,the heat treatment worked great on the broadhead.I also got the disk yesterday and saveing it for lunch time.Will keep ya posted.Hey Jr your new baby is in the back of Linda's PT Cruiser now and shipping 3 day priority this A.M.should be home saturday or no later then monday.bd

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #709 on: August 08, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Terry,
 You are welcome to use the footage Tippit took of the Bear I arrowed with Woodie Blackwell head this past JUNE for 2nd Tradgang DV.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #710 on: August 09, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
Doctari thank you Sir for the dvd.I must admit that is by far the best bear hunting video's I have ever seen.Good clean kill,well placed shot.Outstanding both you and No Neck Tom's shooting.Heck Doc my wife even liked them.I can't hardly wait until next spring.Thanks dude,you da man.Hey Jr the E.Bud Holcomb should be there saturday morning before.PEACE bd

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #711 on: August 10, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Can anyone provide informaion on what kind of video cameras were used to tape the hunts??

Thanks Sean

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #712 on: August 10, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
My video camera is just an small Cannon digital...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #713 on: August 10, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
I think the shared hunt was the best of the year, far as I'm concerned.JMO Fat lady has not sung, but she will really have to make a go of it!!! Thank you guys for sharing it with all of us! Dang near as good as being there. And I can't wait for next years hunt myself, even if I can't be there!  :thumbsup:    :campfire:  

Brent

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #714 on: August 12, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
Doctari I gotta tell ya,we had a little B-party for the son in law yesterday.I gave him a nice Hibben knife he really liked.All the family and friends were there.But I want to thank you again for the DVD or CD or blue raymond or whatever that disk is called you sent me with the bear hunts of you and No Neck Tommy?????????? That was the hit of the party dude.Everyone was really impressed and felt those were really clean vary well done hunting video's.Kinda short sweet and to the point.Even one friend whom does not like hunting,said those were guick and clean kills.Thank you again,and as always "you da man".bowdoc

Offline Selfbow07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #715 on: August 12, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Ok guys, here goes nothing.  The Quebec Bear Quest started about 7 months before the actual hunt with a phone call from Tom Phillips asking me if i was interested in going bear hunting.  Now I've know Tom for awhile probably 10 years, he has asked me every year if I was interested. I always declined, for whatever reason.

This year was different.  Iv'e been hun ting local deer with a longbow for 16 years or so and with selfbow only  for the past four seasons.  With some success.  It was time to go bear hunting. Called Tom, and said "yes"!    Decided to make a bow just for this trip.  Had a piece of osage I got locally and a bunch of leg sinew from bow kills I'd been saving for my first sinew-backed bow.  After a lot fo work and a few phone calls to Mike Yancy I had my bow:  52 lbs. at 26", sinew backed, osage, bull snake and horn tip overlays.  Let's go hunting.

June 21st:  the day before the hunt TOm calls and tells me the meeting place and who the "Mystery Guest" is.  Just a little intimidated!  My first bear hunt and Barry Wensel has to be there.  Just Great!  

June 22nd:  Finally arrives:  very nervous, first hunt away from home, 7:30 pm the gathering begins, meet everybody, load trucks, on the road 9:30 or 10:00.  The long drive.  After lots of coffee and various energy drinks we arrive in La Tuque, Quebec.
Sat. June 23rd:  Arrive in camp aroung 1:00 pm, all work together. Camp set up in no time at all.  Tom sends everybody out to check baits and decide what stands to sit.  Tom, Bowdoc, JC and I gather baiting stuff and head out.  Check milemarker 42, the glove, black label and I think longtrail, not sure.  All but Black label, which was a new bait, had been hit good.  On the way in to check the last bait, we spot something on the trail ahead.  Get to the spot and there on the side of the trail is a lynx, maybe 5 yards.  Very cool.  Nobody has a camera. Bummer!  Get back to camp, JC Bowdoc and myself decide to hunt.  Didn't drive all this way to stay in camp.  I didn't see anything but hares and squirrels, the first night.  Bowdoc got a bead, JC arrowed a bear, thinks it's a good hit.  
June 24th:  Wake up early, make coffee, decide who's doing what.  JC, Ray, Tom and myself check baits and start trailing JC's bear.  Hopes are high in the beginning. After a long trail and little blood, Tom asked JC what he wants to do:  it's never easy giving up on a blood trail.  JC decieds to call it off and with heavy hearts we head to the truck.  Back at camp, we eat lunch, ready for hunting.  I'm to drop JC off at Milemarker 42 and head to The GLove.  On our way to the truck  my roommate, Mr. Barry Wensel, says to me"Hey Roomie, don't choke tonight. Ha, Ha, Ha"!  With that in my head, we head out.
Drop JC off, arrive at the GLove, get set in my stand, listeneing to the creek babbling and the annoying chatter of squirrels.  Movement to my right catches my eye, get my first glimpse of a bear!  After about 30 minutes of doubting if I saw a bear or not, I see the bear coming in from behind the bait.  The bear is good sized, I decide to try and take him.  He comes in slowly and I take Tom's advice and let him settle in.  Wait for him to present a shot, draw and shoot, watch in awe as my arrow striked the ground harmlessly next to the bear.  Needless to way, that bear ran out of there lika a bat out of hell!  The only thing I can say is I choked:  plain and simple.  Didn't focus on my target and missed.  Stupid mistake.  My first bear and I missed.  After about 45 minutes of calling myself all kinds of not nice things, I caught movement to my left. Oh my goodness...a MUCH bigger bear, sitting 40 yards from the bait.  I caught movement both times, because the bears are extrememly quiet, not making any noise at all.

Anyway, I let this bear come in to the bait twice before I even tried to draw.  The first time I drew back he heard my movement and bolted.  He cam back a third time really slow, came into the stand halfway between me and the bait, sat down looking right at me.  The bait's only 6 yards, 7 yards, tops, I was just a little nervous.  "Dont' choke, Roomie".  Luckily he was more interested in the bait, not me.  Tried to draw again.  He grabbed some bait and took off.  I waited 20 minutes, hoping he woudl come back.  He finally did.  This time, he didn't look at me, went right to the bait and started eating.  I was waiting, bow ready , he finally gave me a shot.  I drew very slowly, focused on the opposite shoulder, released, wham!!  The arrow was there, buried to the fletching, right behind the shoulder.  The bear ran away.  I'm watching, waiting for him to crash, he makes 6o yards, stops, but doesn't fall.  Walks out of sight.  Doubt creeps in:  was the shot good?  Why didn't he crash?  Oh man!

I wait for 1 1/2 hours befgore climbing down.  I pick up blood in the first 5 yards, it looks very good.  Follow for another 3o yards, find the fletch end of my arrow.  Lots of blood, follow to where I saw the bear start to walk:  lots of blood. It's almost 9:00, I decide to back off because I don't like the idea of following a wounded bear. I get to the truck and wait for dark to pick up JC.  I pick up JC, ask him if he saw anything.  He says yes and asked me the same. I tell him what happened and he says everything will be fine.  Back at camp, lots of stories, everybody says it sounds good,  My roommate is very confident.
TO BE CONTINUED>>>>>>

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #716 on: August 12, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
Thanks Guys!!!!!...Yep, we'll take it, sight unseen!

What I need is more time!!!!!...still reading!

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #717 on: August 12, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
hey no fair iwas just getting in to this. hurry back and finish it.  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #718 on: August 12, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
I know! I KNOW what happened next and I want him to finish it!  Little did I know how much fun it would be to read about a trip I was on!   :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #719 on: August 13, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Just got through reading through page 30....gotta tell ya.....those are some great pics you guys are posting, and JC, what a smile my friend.....looks like your are due up a new avatar!!!.....that's a great hero pic of you.

Congrats again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©