INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Kansas 2008 semi-live hunt - Friday morning I finally did it (page 4 pictures) :)  (Read 6488 times)

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats to Alvis for shooting such a fine buck.
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
That 10 looks a lot like the picture above of the driving in buck. Good luck tomorrow.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
I think you are right, Shaun! Get a good one, Brad.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline wollybear

• Trad Bowhunter
good luck   but most of all injoy!!  :notworthy:    :D

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow! Beautiful deer.  Wouldn't mind hearing more about that bow, looks nice.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
:bigsmyl:     :thumbsup:

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
I think Shaun hit the nail- cetainly looks like the same buck to me as well.  Congrats and good luck.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats  :thumbsup:  to Alvis
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
yep, same buck in the picture that Alvis killed. I think they tallied 163" even gross for anyone who cares about score.

I saw 5 bucks this morning, bunch of muley and whitetail does ... one 125" 8 came in and tempted me but after seeing that hoss yesterday I didn't shoot. I saw one shooter 8 this morning across the creek from the cottonwood tree stand, maybe the same buck I missed yesterday?

I moved that stand, to a funnel corner that every deer I've seen has went to or came from. 12' high, 5-15 yard shot, edge of standing corn ... and a series of scrapes and licking branches under a tree that are fresh, pooped in and smelly. NICE !

High hopes for tommorrow morning, because we have weather coming in tonight, 70% chance of t-storms, 33 low and 42 high -   and that stand has to have a north or northwest wind. That rain turns to snow Monday night into Tuesday is the forecast.

We also hung another stand at Johnny's place. Creek bottom stand overlooking a scrape, but the ridge above the alfalfa bottom is tore up. I might move that one next chance I get. It will be tonights stand

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
I saw 3 bucks tonight and 16 cows  :(   Slow evening.

Mark had a dandy buck by and it had its left side snapped at the brow tine - he said about the same size as his Dad's buck (Alvis)

Mark's area got busted up when a group of hunters were looking for a hit 10 pointer, so driving around they saw 7 bucks out chasing does around.

So the time is now, the weather is coming and tommorrow morning I sit the corner where I moved the Cottonwood stand - looking forward to that (not looking forward to 35 degree rain)

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Good luck BradLantz, your in the right area.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
A huge factor in killing big bucks is hunting where they are.  Sounds like you're there.  When he comes in tommorrow, forget the past and drill him.  Good Luck Brad, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
I shot 15 yards tonight after it got very dark at one of the tarsal glands off Alvis' deer - all 3 were grouped in the size of my fist - very good shooting for cold shooting for me.

Here is another of Alvis' deer - until you get your hands wrapped on a 160+ buck its hard to describe just how big they are !

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
I've known and hunted with Alvis and Mark since the 70's you're among class acts!He has a huge nontypical I'm sure you've seen.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
The wind won't turn right for me to hunt the corner stand until tommorrow afternoon - thats the area that's had no hunting the previous years and where I saw the huge buck 2 days ago.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
36 degrees and cold rain right now - I moved my stand from Johnny's bottom where the cows were to the upper edge of the alfalfa bottom overlooking a bunch of scrapes. It's rained so many they'll freshen then scrapes tonight?

My apologies on the previous post of a buck picture- Mark's buck wasn't a trad kill, I was just so tickled he got Pinchers.

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
Hope you get a monster.  Having property to hunt with deer like that is amazing.  Biggest thing i have seen in the last two weeks is a raccoon that weighed around 30 lbs.  Best of luck...
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
You are truly blessed to be able to access such fine property. I am a lifelong resident, and have hunted the north half of this state for 15 years(mostly public) and can honestly say the best hunts I have had have been out of state. The sweet spots like you have found are indeed unbelieveable.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
YU-KON - Do it...maaaaaaaan

Jerbear

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
This is what I saw when I walked out the door - about 150 yards from the house !

35 degrees and rain - this was one of the more difficult afternoon hunts I've had. What saved me I think was that my back was to the wind/rain. I saw 3 bucks, 3 does, nothing shooter and nothing close enough anyway. Between the cold, lightning flashing and rain .... tough afternoon.

Also, I've never seen slicker snotty roads in my life when it gets wet. I got in my non-4wd Sequoia, put it in drive and slid towards the ditch. I worked it a bit and got deeper and deeper, finally sliding to a 50 degree angle and stop. Great. I wasn't all the way in, so I put it in reverse, gave it hell, backed up to the opposite side of the ditch, back in drive, and right down the middle of the grader ditch. Well, I tried to whip up into the field and hit something, so back down into the ditch and attempt to go up onto the road. Miracle I made it - honestly I don't know how it worked but it did !

I've got to go back and take pictures of that fiasco ....

Tommorrow afternoon is my hunting the previous cottonwood stand location where I saw that monster buck, and several other bucks. The wind will switch late morning. I'll be in that stand and honestly I believe I'll get a shot tommorrow. That area is that good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©