INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Kansas 2008 semi-live hunt - Friday morning I finally did it (page 4 pictures) :)  (Read 6492 times)

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
Still seeing big bucks by themselves?? I am headed out west in 9 days, hoping the bucks will have started leaving the does and searching again. The greasy roads suck... especially when the ditch is deep! Hope you get a shot tomorrow, I find myself thinking about your hunt more than my own! Good luck

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
Mule deer just take your breath away don't they?  I can't believe how thick the neck is on that one.  Good luck with your hunt.  Chad

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
tough morning - I had 2 does and 3 fawns by, and then 45 minutes alter a dink buck and that was it. 34 degrees and misting rain sucks.

this afternoon might be it - I'll be hunting the stand where I saw the big buck a couple of days back and also shot at the big 8. I opted to not hunt it this morning, but I'll likely hunt it almost exclusively the rest of the hunt as long as I have a N, NW or W wind.

Big Bucks are being seen all around, at all times of the day, with and without does. I've seen a bit of buck dogging does, but both Mark's big buck and Alvis's were by themselves.

Sun has come up at 11:20 am - this could be the afternoon and in fact I'll be a bit surprised if I dont have a shooter buck by me tonight - that stand should be HOT !

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
That mule deer is a HOSS!  His neck is huge....
Good Luck and get it done!
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
tough afternoon - facing a 15 mph wind, 36 the high and not seeing hardly any deer .... get this miserable day over with and tommorrow can't be worse

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice buck...real nice...just stick it out something will happen.

As far as the roads go you need one of these bud

:bigsmyl:  
No problem then
Jer Bear

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
That's a hoss mulie!!!!

Jerry...please resize your pic to no more than 640 pixels wide.  Thanks.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well, how did this morning go?  Looking forward to the next update.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Just finally got back to this thread things look promising Brad!!! That mulie is just a pig!!! Good luck and keep us posted.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
gads that is getting depressing  :(

I sat on my morning sweet stand and saw 1 dink 8 point whitetail, 7 muley does, a few more off in the distance muley does and then a dink 3 point.

So thinking that the full moon means mid-day moving, we came back, ate a quick lunch and took off for the stand aqt 11:30 am and the deer were already out in the fields

A new stand "Vicks" and I rattled in 2 shooter 8's right off the bat, no shots though. Big one was maybe 135". I saw another 8, 2 hunters who kinda messed things up for a while and then a small buck at dark.

Day 5 over - how come thinking about a hunt, planning a hunt, anticipating a hunt .... how come we never remember after 5 days of hard hunting how it can feel to still have a tag unfilled? Everyone is seeing big bucks, shooter bucks .... not me  :(    

I have no idea where I'm hunting in the morning

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
Why are you depressed?  You should be having the time of your life.

I've never experianced the number of animals and quality of animals that you are experiancing and never will in my hunting areas of northern MN.  I'd give my left "you know what" to be in your shoes.  

Relax and enjoy the process of traditional bowhunting in a wonderful place.  Things will happen when they happen.

Enjoy, Chad

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
I know you havent forgotten our "walking with weapons" six day experience in Quebec yet we called the "Lackabou" Hunt and fishing expedition.

Think about that every time you get upset. At least you are seeing stuff.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
Naw, I'm not depressed, today I had a fox squirrel come along a branch, and he groomed himself and nibble things and gave me a nice show before perching about 5' above my head and chattering at me.

I'm having a great time its just I'm by nature a not so patient person and I've put in 5 hard days of hunting and still have an unfilled tag. Don't get me wrong, I don't HAVE to fill my tag to have a successful hunt but I sure would like to!

Tommorrow its warm until noon, then the SW winds shift to N-NW and a cold front blows in hard.

Have I mentioned I don't like cold? being from Arkansas hunting 30 degrees and 15 mph winds are tough. Its a different kind of hunting, different country for sure. I really love coming out here, forgive my lapses when a bit of frustration eeeks out of me.

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for the share Brad...wish I was there with ya!  My one trip to the Coldwater area was one of the best hunts I have ever had....deer or no deer...an experience I'll always enjoy looking back on.  Good luck!
BTW- it will be in the 30s here when you get home... LOL.
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
There is a clear, defining moment in a hunt,where you can have incredible feelings of accomplishments or incredible feelings of failure.

I had 3 of those moments today.

#1  I was hunting the spot where I'd seen the big buck a few days ago and shot at that big 8. Not the same tree, same area. Not long after daylight, I heard a twig snap and literally through the grates of my stand there stood a large 10 point buck. big buck, very heavy, no questionsa asked shooter. He started to move from my left to right, and I was trying to figure out how to shoot him when at about 12-13 step as I drew he did a slight quarter to my left and I released. My arrow hit a branch, breaking it, and the beautiful buck bounded away.

Twice in one week - unreal  :(

Biggest buck I've ever shot at, maybe 150" +/-

#2  I sat there until about 10:30 and went back to the truck, maybe a 10 minute walk, to eat a quick lunch to get back in the stand.

Before I got back in, I cut down the branch that cost me earlier, and laid out a tarsal gland on one side of the trail and doe pee on the other.

Into the stand I go, and I hang my cat quiver on the backside of the tree, my bow above me and started to settle in. I reached around, grabbed an arrow and it hung the quiver, jerking it off the hanger I had it on. it didn't fall, but now I've got this quiver in my hand, can't hang it back up behind me ... so I bring it around and into my lap. Get my arrow out, look up ..... OH MY. 25 yards and coming is this huge, HUGE whitetail buck. He's frickin massive, I mean, huge mass, all the way out, his horns aren't even round, they're kinda blocky its so massive. His G3's and G4's were longer than his G2's, and his right beam G2 and G3 had stickers coming off.

That deer guys, was 180-185" or bigger. By far the biggest buck I've ever seen and I've got a damn catquiver in my lap and the bow hanging above me. I watched him turn left to the tarsal gland, right to the pee, walk around me and when he did wind me he took 3-5 minutes to get out of there. He didn't blow but very very suspicious.
No way for me to get a shot. None.  :(

Right at dark, the big 8 I shot and hit a branch on a few days back came through, moving quick, in the corn and I had to mahhhhhnt to stop him. Very nice buck, 140" 8 point I imagine and the shot was soooooo perfect until the buck jumped the string and my arrow flew harmlessly over the back

I shot at, and missed, a 150" 10 pointer, a 140" 8 pointer and had a B&C within 12 steps ..... I had an incredible day deer hunting, and found every way I could to botch filling a tag.

I simply cannot believe my luck  :(

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
Hang in there Brad.  If it was easy it wouldn't be so much fun or satisfying when it works out.  Enjoy the incredible bucks you saw today and get ready for tomorrow.  You are obviously in the right spot and something good is going to happen.
Steve

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Yeah, I can't believe your luck either - you're making memories that will last the rest of your life!  
Don't worry Brad, I do understand your feelings and frustrations.  As you know better than anyone, the difference between success and failure is so very very small.  When it is meant to happen it will all fall into place, and we will all be there looking over your shoulder.  Just enjoy it until then!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
I got up this morning to strong North winds and 40 degrees. Of course, my stand faces the north which meant I was in for a long windblown day in the stand.

Not long after daylight I had a small 8 come right by like they were all suppose to    ;)    and then not long after that a small buck bedded at about 15 yards from my stand. Great. He was fun to watch though, seeing how deer behave when they're at rest, watching, ears moving but other than that they're almost 100% still. He head bobbed a time or two as his eyes were closing, he must have had a long night !

About the time he bedded another 8 point and a doe bedded out at about 75 yards. The 8 worked the scrape hard, so I kinda felt the doe was smelling good.

At 8:15 am a nice buck came along the creek bottom. He busted the 8 point out and the doe, and chased the doe by at 20 yards. No shot. I could tell he was a nice 4 point on one side, the other side looked messed up.

All 3 bucks chased the doe up the creek and all was quiet for about 3 minutes.

Back down the creek he comes, and I knew he would hit the trail coming right to me.

He did, and at about 6-7 steps from my tree I started my draw, and guys all I could see was deer! I gathered my focus in a split second, and drew and shot. I kinda snap shoot anyway, and just like that the arrow was out, down, and I could see blood right where I wanted the arrow to go.

He runs off 30 steps at the edge of the creek and stops, looking back. Good looking shot, and after 15 second he bails into the creek.

Dead deer in creek I'm thinking and I get my phone to call Mark to come help. He shows up, maybe 20 minutes later and we walk to where my deer fell - no deer.

What the heck ? I'm baffled, because I SHOULD have blown both lungs out. I got complete pass through, double lunged deer don't make it far. So we start tracking, a very easy job too because blood was everywhere, and the deer went to the creek, crossed it, up the steep bank on the other side and across the edge of the creek.

Now I'm getting this sick feeling. We come to the edge where the alfalfa bottom is and he made it to the other side before piling up in the edge.

:)  

I'm tickled to death. He's not the biggest I shot at this week, there isn't a "score" and he's not in the same class as Alvis or Mark's bucks but I had an incredible trip, saw a lot of bucks, had opportunities that don't come often but he's a very special deer to me and I'm tickled to death with him.

He would have been a fine 8 point, he's got over 5" bases, coral looking bases and brows, very rough, the ones side has a club thing going to the back of the neck, knarled up .... interesting deer for sure. None of the landowners/farmers had seen this buck, no idea where he came from.

I killed him with a Zipper 51# @ 27" recurve, ICS 400 weighted shafts and I switched to a Thunderhead broadhead mid-hunt. 680 total grains, and it blew through the top of one lung, through the bottom of the other and was laying where I hit him, 100% pass through. I shot out both lungs and that deer ran an honest 250 hard yards - amazing.

Even after hitting 2 limbs and having a deer duck my arrow I still felt I could do it. But even having great confidence there is nothing like actually DOING it, you know?

3 archery hunters, 3 tags, 3 bucks down this week. 2008 will be one of my most special years, I killed a big gobbler this spring, an Arkansas 8 point and then this buck with my recurve, and I have a lot of Arkansas hunting yet to do, and Alvis and Mark both tagged ..... helluva year guys, it really has been.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
good for you for sticking it out, Brad!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nice job Brad!!! Way to hang in there!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©