INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: I Killed a Huge One!  (Read 9835 times)

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
I Killed a Huge One!
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Anyone who has ever deer hunted within the distribution range of squirrels and chipmunks know of the annoyance one of these little buggers can cause. I once had a big red squirrel sit on a stump and flip its tail and chatter at me for hours. Finally, I couldn’t take it any longer and proceeded to center punch him and stick him to an oak tree. Of course he got the last laugh and broke my $6 Port Orford Cedar arrow right in half. He also cost me another $4 or $5 for the Rothhaar Snuffer that I was never able to get out of the oak tree. In addition to the lost cost of the arrow, I’m certain he caused me to spook every deer within 2 miles away from my deer stand.

I was beginning to feel a little déjà vu this evening while deer hunting in the Hudson Valley of Upstate New York. I had a chipmunk that was squelching at me in his little high pitched chirp for seemingly eons. I just couldn’t imagine why though? He was pretty far away up the ridge and I don’t know how he could’ve spied me. If his little serenading wasn’t enough, I then got stereo sound from a couple of barking squirrels. As if on cue by the conductor of a symphony a trio of crows begins to raise a raucous. Finally, as if to build to the crescendo of the fat lady singing a couple of deer started to blow up the hill.  I had a virtual opera of annoying sounds interrupting my evening vigil. Again, I didn’t know why the deer were blowing. The wind wasn’t wafting anywhere near them and I was motionless. Finally, I caught a glimpse of the genesis of the wildlife chorus’ crooning.  

It slinked through an opening at the top of the ridge and my first thought was “wow, I didn’t know they had Mountain Lions in this area”!  He then reemerged in another opening and I got a good look at the biggest bobcat that I have ever seen (not that I have seen that many, but he looked HUGE).  He was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in the wild. They are fair game and in season here in New York and I would love to have a chance at the beast. His travel path was taking him well beyond my recurve effective range and my heart began to sink.

The only other time I ever saw a bobcat was in Texas on a Javelina hunt just prior to the San Antonio PBS Annual Gathering. While hunting one afternoon, the ranch hand told me to shoot any I saw because they are tough on the deer fawns. The Texas bobcat was a scrawny little thing compared to this one. The Texas kitty wasn’t anywhere close to offering a shot either, but I tried squeaking him in like I saw on TV once. You know, wet the back of your hand and purse your lips against it and suck in to create a squeak. I guess it is supposed to mimic an injured rodent or something. Anyway, it didn’t work worth squat in Texas.

As the NY bobcat was moving along, I thought what the heck; he’ll be walking right out of my life in a second anyway. So, I begin to squeak like mouse in a trap.  At first he didn’t seem to pay any attention so I ratcheted up the volume. He heard me that time and looked in my direction.  I hit the old hand squeaker one more time and he zeroed in on me like a fat women in spandex shorts finds deep fried Snickers bars at the State Fair. I know you are all envisioning a golf ball butt as I write this! Well, that old boy came straight in to about six yards from the base of my stand. He then proceeds to sit down behind a log with only his head and the top half of his shoulders showing. Of course, he was looking directly at me. It must have been because he thought the squeaking was coming from a hyperventilating tree rat he was hearing.  Ok, ok, it was me! I was so excited I was trembling like a teenage boy looking at his first Playboy. The hard breathing was probably similar as well. Anyway, he had me pegged and I was about half drawn on my 75# TimberHawk takedown recurve. Eternity couldn’t be much longer than it felt before he turned and looked in another direction. I was able to let my bow down a little before he turned back, but he caught some motion and was really interested now. His gaze matched mine when I was looking at my oldest daughters first date. I didn’t know whether to just jump up and kill him then or turn away and hope for the best.  The bobcat and I both made the same decision. He must’ve thought I was the biggest and ugliest squirrel he’d ever seen and wasn’t worth attacking because the sounds coming out of the tree indicated I was gonna die anyway. So he turned to leave and faster than Gene and Barry at an all-you-can eat buffet I was at full draw and let my Eclipse tipped hickory shaft rip!

Well, I’ve had my share of good luck and blessings and this one will be added to the list of reasons to give thanks to our Heavenly Father. The photo should tell the rest of the story!  What a magnificent animal! He is absolutely HUGE. To give you some perspective, I’m a hair shy of 6’ and easily push 230#s. He is absolutely the most amazing creature I’ve ever killed, and I’ve killed huge moose in Alaska, zebra in Africa, and bear in Canada. Needless to say, he’ll be a full body mount of some sort. I was thinking of a fully extended leap after a squirrel. Any other ideas? Thanks for sharing in my excitement.

[/IMG]

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I Killed a Huge One!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
That is one gigantic bobcat!  Congratulations!  I enjoyed the story telling.  Definitely going to need to full body mount that one!  Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
Oh my Terry! That is one large cat. Congrats!!!

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
That is huge! congrats.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS Terry!!!!!!!!!!

:archer:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

What an ABSOLUTELY AWESOME Trophy!!!!! Well done My Friend,Thanks for sharing your story with us!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline leewillis92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Great story well told.  That is one MASSIVE cat!  Great shot too.  Your similes had me laughing!  Some type of an action mount (like the one you stated) would look wonderful! -Lee
Hunt Hard. Stay Safe. God Bless.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
BIG kitty,beautiful coloration too! Make a super mount!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Wow! Big cat. Should make for a nice pelt to hang on the wall.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Anaconda12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
Dude that is an awesome cat I have yet to kill one of those with my bow, You need to be extra proud sporting that thing into the taxidermy studio good job! and nice story to boot!
Luck has nothing to do with it, just Boot leather and a GWP.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous cat!

Well done  :thumbsup:  

:campfire:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
Terry, I have seen a few cats here in IN...your old home state, and that cat there would make 2 of them! Great job! Hey, when you heading to Indiana for a deer hunt? Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
Man oh Man Terry that is a terrific Bobcat! Actually when they are that big should we call them Robertcats?  :bigsmyl:
Congratulations!
I didn't hear about you moving to Kinderhook, NY when did that happen?
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Thats a trophy for sure  :thumbsup:  
 Congrats   :clapper:

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Very nice,
Congratulations, well done.
Goes to show you never hurts to try to make something happen!!
Way to go !!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
Is it possibly a Lynx, I do not know if they are bigger than a bobcat but tyhat is huge. Congrats! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
Wow he is magnificent!

Congratulation and I think you did a great job telling your hunt. Thanks for sharing. Is there any kind of scoring system for bobcats? He looks as if he could set a record.
  :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
Very cool!

It's a bobcat Shawn. Markings are all bobcat.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline recurvist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
Thats an amazin cat...he is by far the biggest ive ever seen..U may have a problem findin a form to fit him,, but thats a problem most taxidermist dont mind takin on...Tuff animal to take with bow great job!!!
" Aim small, ..Miss small " The Patriot.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
Congrats, what a great beast!

Thats as cool as it gets right there!!!!! great story as well, you have a way with words my friend...   :biglaugh:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
Looked it up and Lynx can weigh up to 65#s and bobcat no more than 35#s. What did it weigh? Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©