INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Had a great hunt last night! UPDATE AND A GRAPHIC PIC  (Read 5952 times)

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
Had a great hunt last night! UPDATE AND A GRAPHIC PIC
« on: October 24, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Went out Wednesday night and didn't see a thing.  Right at last light I heard some deer come into the woods and it sounded like a buck running does around.  He was grunting and crashing through the little woodlot.  Never got a glimpse of any of them but they wouldn't leave so I stayed in the stand a little longer than usual then tried to slip out as quietly as I could.

Fast forward to last night.  Got off work a little later than usual, had to stop and get gas , drive home, switch vehicles with my wife, shower, and drive to my spot.  Got in the stand about 5:30.  It was breezy and my climbing stick kept creaking every time the tree would sway a little bit .  Well, it was a beautiful evening and I was enjoying the solitude and then.................

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Had a great hunt last night! UPDATE AND A GRAPHIC PIC
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:  ........
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
I can't wate  :jumper:
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline oldpaths

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
And then......, C'mon man your kill'n me!!!
Colossians 3:23

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
Who taught ya'll how to tell stories, It's like a To be continued movie around here     :)    the suspence is killing me.   :jumper:

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
I sure do like the anticipation of stories like this!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
That is just not right   :knothead:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
Come on Steve!  I'm leaving tonight for a long weekend of hunting and I need to know what happened before I go!   :readit:   :campfire:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
.....the breeze started to die down a bit, oh, about 6:30.  Good, maybe the sticks will stop creaking, I don't need them creaking just as I'm drawing on a nice buck (Hey, I guy can dream, can't he?  I mean, I've shot some does with my bow and have some nice gun-killed bucks but I've never been able to close the deal on a buck with the bow).

It's been pretty dry and you can hear the deer coming from quite a ways off.  I heard what sounded like deer moving through the woods about 50 yards to my right.  I'm looking and looking trying to see them and then I see what looks to be a doe moving towards the edge of the woods.  She steps out into the field and behind her here comes another.  Their body language tells me that they're not gonna stick around for long so I give 'em a little bleat.  Nothing.  They just keep moving further out into the field.

Dang it!!!  So close.

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
:mad:

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
....... 'bout then I hear another deer, I'm guessing maybe 30, 40 yards from me, back in the woods where the two does came from.  Sweeeet!!    :thumbsup:   Sounds like it's coming my way.

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
I see movement......yep, it's a deer alright....c'mon, c'mon, keep walking.  Step out here where I can get a good look at ya!  It's head goes behind a tree and I position my feet for a shot.

Oh yeah!  HE steps out....a BUCK     :bigsmyl:

I've been wanting to kill a buck with my bow for a long time....this could be the day....if only he keeps coming my way.  My heart is pounding like a jackhammer

Looks like he might be a little 8 pointer....he's walking directly at me now and I'm praying he doesn't look up.  I'm only up about 12 feet. I tell myself to calm down....take a deep breath...let's see, bend at the waist, PICK A SPOT, follow through, you can do this!!

Turn broadside, please don't keep walkin' right at me.

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
Yes!  He turns and starts walking slowly from my right to my left, head down, about 15 yards out.  The bow starts to come up very slowly, he has no idea I'm there.  As I'm starting my draw I realize that he's gonna be out of my shooting lane pretty quick if he doesn't stop.  I come to full draw as he stops, near side leg forward, slightly quartered away....what more could a guy ask for?

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
Pick a spot!  Pick a spot....the arrows gone.

He rears and kicks his back legs like a bucking bronc and tears outta there like nobody's business.  Heart shot!!!???!  I didn't see my arrow or hear an impact.  I watch as he runs to the edge of the woods and out of sight.  Listening for a crash, waiting, listening....nothing.

Did I hit him?  The shot felt good but I don't know for sure.  I don't see my arrow sticking in the ground anywhere.  It's 6:43 pm.  If I wait half an hour to get down it's going to be pretty dark and all I have is two little flashlights with weak batteries.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow, too.

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
Got down at 7:10 and started walking to the truck.  Thought I'd drive home and get some better lights.  Then, abruptly changed my mind and, against my better judgment, decided to head back in the direction he ran.

I walked from one end of the woodlot to the other.  I kinda figured he'd run to the other side and bedded down.  By this time it's too dark to see much of anything.  Sure enough I kicked him out of his bed.      :banghead:    I knew better, but the excitement got the better of me.

I guessed he probably was running across the plowed field toward the next woodlot but with my weak flashlight I couldn't see much. Found blood, bright red, hmmm.  Well, nothing more to do tonight.  Go home, try to sleep and hope the rain holds off.  To be continued..............

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
Fast forward to this morning.  I'm sitting in the truck at my hunting spot waiting for it to get light enough to see.  I decide that I'll scan the plowed field with my binocs first.  If that's where he ran I'm guessing he might not have made it all the way to the next woodlot.

A few minutes later I can see well enough to start walkin and lookin.  I walked 50 yards or so and noticed something white out in the field...could it be?  Looking through the binocs I just can't tell for sure what it is.  The closer I get the more I'm thinking this just might be my lucky day as the white spot's looking more and more like a deer's rump with every step.  Sure enough!  It's him!     :clapper:  

It starts sprinkling so I rush around, snap a few pictures and load him up into the truck, drive into the woods to get out of the rain, which is coming down pretty good now, and begin the field dressing chores.  By the time I got him dressed I'm pretty well soaked but still a happy camper!

Shot him with a 45# Martin Hunter and a CE 150 with a STOS BH.  Total arrow weight 550 grains.  Got an entrance and an exit hole but didn't find the arrow.  Good times!!!   :jumper:

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
There you GO!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
Congrats.  Like to see a close up of the base of his right antler.  Looks like a few stickers there.

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
Talondale,  You're right.  He has one that's about 5" long that goes downward from the base.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©