INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: My first EVER!!!  (Read 5398 times)

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
My first EVER!!!
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
I'm headed out to do a bunch of work but I had to post at least the beginning of last night's story before I left.  I'll finish writing as soon as I get home and add pics...

I got a call yesterday afternoon from my uncle who offered to take me to one of his spots where he's been seeing a good amount of deer.  I almost jumped on it but had a gut feeling about my own spot.  I easlily could have come up empty due to the fact that I've been hunted this area for the past few weeks and haven't seen too much.  But I really wanted to try and harvest my first deer in a place that I scouted and chose myself.  Stubborn I guess?

Ok - sorry - to the good stuff.  I walked in and just as I started climbing I was staring at three deer (does and a spike) on a high point which would end being behind me when I was set up.  I paused long enough for them to move and got situated.  I kept hoping they were far enough away.  I won't lie - I thought that I was busted and that was the most action I was going to encounter all night.  I was wrong!!

The call just came in and I have to get work done....I promise I will post story and pics this afternoon-night.  Maybe it's better this way?  I'll have a chance to contain the excitement so I don't write a ten page story - ha!  

Seriously, I have every moment etched so clearly in my head I can still see every second.  I just can't believe my heart didn't blow through my shirt and ruin the shot!!!  Ha!

Ok - until later....there are a lot of tradgang members who helped me get to the point where I was last night - Thank you all!! I really appreciate your help.

Christian

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first EVER!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  look forward to the story and pics
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Sounds like you'll have to change your name to longbow rookie-no-longer!!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Standing on pins and deedles... Congrats ond the hunt!!!  let the excitement flow..

blueline
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
:campfire:    :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
:coffee:
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
Congradulations!! Tap Tap Tap  
Hap

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »
Charlie Lamb is responsible for this....  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Ready and waiting!

:thumbsup:
Support the sport!

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
I just spoke with Christian and he'll be posting the rest of the story soon.

He's still pumping adrenaline 24 hrs later!

Hawkeye is right, "Longbow rookie" no more, We'll have to start calling him "Longbow addict" or something along those lines because he's hooked for sure.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
Thanks Ron!  We just got off the phone and I'll admit I was pretty pumped telling him the story.  Any of you guys who have dealt with Ron know what a class act he is....he's always willing to help me (others) get it right.  He's become a good friend.  Thanks again buddy!

Ok - I'm going to type while the camera charges.

I was in my stand for maybe 15 minutes and off to my right I hear steps - "cracking!"  I didn't want to turn my face because he was up on the hill and almost at eye level with me.  I kept my back pressed into the tree and just moved my head slightly to see him.  I had hung my quiver (Arrowmaster) higher than normal.  It's a good thing I did because I was able to put my face behind and just stick my left eye out to watch him.  He was chomping away and didn't seem to notice me at all.

However, as I kept looking he seemed to become alert and stop!  Holy s#$%...I'm busted!  But, I didn't move a muscle and turned my head back around.  Now, he started to move higher on the hill - maybe 20yds.  I was afraid he was going to continue and not come down to the stand...well he did - come down!

He worked his way slowly toward my stand.  I have to stay at this point my heart is pumping out of my chest!!  I kept breathing and saying "slow down, slow down...you need to be ready when the shot comes."

He walked right underneath my stand.  I could see the top of his head through the grates.  I thought - "now I'm done!!"  I tried to keep my boots from rubbing or squeaking even the least bit.  He was probably under me for a minute or two - it seemed like an enternity.

He then started to walk behind me and to my left where the trail continued.  Ok...that was great but now he's going to head down the trail and walk off leaving me no shot...wrong again!

He slowly makes his way forward and looks like he's going to turn broadside and be quartering away.  Perfect!!  "This is too good to be true.  Is he really going to offer me this perfect shot?  Maybe ten yds. and quartering away?  The shot I've rehearsed in my head a thousand times for the past year?"  Not yet!!

He now has his head down but front 3/4 of his body is behind a tree which is obviously blocking my shooting lane - however it did hide my silouette and allow me to get ready to draw as soon as he took one or two more steps.

He did - he took two steps forward.  I wish I could really describe exactly what happened next - how I drew and shot but I'd be lying.  When I saw his front leg go forward - I picked a spot just behind the shoulder.  I was about 18ft. up so the angle was steep.  I was trying to bore in on the spot while also thinking about the goods on the other side.  He took a half-step and .......

I drew, hit my anchor and shot!!!  OMG!!  You would have thought I'd been shot the way my heart was pounding.  The only thing I remember is the arrow hit....he paused for a second and blasted away out in front of me.  The last thing I saw was the yellow and black fletching sticking out of his side!!!

"No way? I didn't get full penetration?  What happened?  Why did the arrow not go through?  I hit the opposite shoulder?  Angle was too steep?  I'm going to lose him!!  Ok...calm down and breath."

I watched him run forward hard, then stop, then run off to my left but slowly, and then started to walk - but now he's out my sight.

It was 5:35pm - "ok I'm going to give him some time and then go look."

Well... I couldn't tell you how long after because I had no clear concept of time at this point - but I heard a crash not 30-40yds to my left.  I tried to use my binos and see if it was him going down.  I figured out later when I found him why I couldn't see through the binos.  He'd gone off a drop and laid down maybe 6ft. from the small hill.  However,  I didn't know that he'd laid down yet.  I was still unsure of the hit and thinking maybe he was just running.

When I got down it was starting to get dark.  I had my head lamp on and started to look for blood.  Didn't see any!!!  Ok...now I wasn't sure if I should back out or keep looking.  I started marking where I thought I'd seen him run.  Still not seeing any blood!!  I'm getting more and more nervous.  Got my bearings so I could think for a minute.

I figured I'd just go toward the spot I'd heard the sticks break and see if he was there?  Sure enough there he was - down!!

Before I finish this - I want to say this wasn't just my first deer with a trad bow.  This was the first animal I have killed with any type of equipment.  I've fish, spearfish, I hunted ducks years ago.  But never hunted with a compound and have never taken an animal with a gun.  So, with that being said - I needed a minute to take it all in.  I had a lot things running through my mind.

I'm hoping what I said above will explain my excitement and lengthy description.  As you guys know the first one is something you never forget.  

I told Ron earlier that no story, video, explanation etc..could have prepared me for the feeling in my blood when the deer was walking around me and eventually showed me the shot.

I'm going to pause here and post this....my camera is charging.  I'll be back on with pics and the end.

Thank you guys for hanging in and sharing this experience with me.  I apologize if I was a bit long but once I got going it was tough to stop.  I didn't want to leave anything out.

I went back to the site today and I'll let the photos tell the rest but I promise they are worth it.  Especially, when I found the front 3/4 of my arrow (Ash arrow with a modified Grizzly "El Grande" by sharpster - Ron at KME.  I had thought the broadhead and shaft was in the deer.....boy was I wrong - the pic will explain.

Be back soon to wrap up.  

Christian

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
I should also say that throughout my story I keep saying "he."  Please don't expect to see any moster buck.  In fact, until I rubbed my hand on his head I had thought I'd shot a doe.  Button buck - but a trophy in my mind.  

Be back on with pics...

C

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 12:51:00 AM »
Ok...I'm going to give this a shot.  Here's a few pics.  Enjoy!

Please let me know if I did this correctly and if these links work.

Thanks again - You all know what's for dinner tomorrow!

Good luck to everyone this season!

Christian

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 04:19:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 05:01:00 AM »
Your story is the best definition of "Trophy" I've ever read.  Thanks for sharing that.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 05:07:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :archer:

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 05:27:00 AM »
Congrats on a fine Deer.

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
Thank you guys for the kind words...appreciate it.

I just shared the pics with a couple of my high school students and they were really psyched for me!  

I try to show them that I'm more than just a guy who makes them do homework and turn in assignments. Ha!!  

I asked if I should use the pic of me with the deer as my yearbook picture.  As you can imagine, they were all for it!  I did have to say - that wouldn't fly...ha!  They cracked up!

Here's a reaction you will all appreciate:  

"Mr. J - that picture would be more you than if you wearing a shirt and tie."  Frank R.

I thought that was pretty cool!

I was very humbled by their excitement.

C

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
Yes!
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©