INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: First deer of 2008  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
First deer of 2008
« on: October 19, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
I've had a good season even though no deer taken until yesterday. The first week of bow season(back in early September) I shot over the back of the biggest 6 pointer I'd ever seen - at 19 paces....My first miss ever with the Widow on game....
Saturday, the first day of gun season, was an overcast, cool and fairly windy day and it found me with bow in hand. Me and the family had been at the State Fair till mid afternoon but I found time to squeeze in an afternoon hunt. Walking in I found this evidence another hunter before me had walked this same ground:

Even though I was hunting alone, I felt like a 'brother of the bow' was with me in spirit while carrying the stone blade in my pocket.

I was hunting an oak ridge that bordered a field that had been planted with pines probably 15+ years ago. The pines had been thinned a couple of years back and the undergrowth provided good cover for the deer. The acorns were dropping on the ridge and the deer sign was plentiful. A perfect recipe for a successful hunt.

I had been in the stand maybe a half hour when I saw two deer come out of the pines a hundred or so yards down the farm path I had walked in on. The bigger deer was having a fit when she crossed the path that I had walked in on. The yearling that was with her walked on up and fed all around me but was smaller than I wanted to shoot so I just enjoyed watching it. The big doe never would come up to where I was at.

About an hour later I see more deer come out of the pines at about the same place the other deer had. Once again, the bigger doe did not like what she smelled when she crossed the path where I had walked in. She did eventually come up within 15 yards of me but was very spooky. Eventually she ran back into the pines. Mental note: don't walk down the path by the pines when hunting the ridge, cause the deer check it before coming into the oaks   :)   .....

In my opinion those older does are the hardest deer to fool. Especially in heavily hunted areas like the club I hunt in. You'll see me grinning like a possum when I take one of those big girls 'cause I know Ive done something when I do.

Anyway, a while later I hear something coming up through the woods, soounding like a buck in that steady rut walk. I'm thinking its to early in the season for them to do that but then this buck comes into view walking straight to my Golden Estrus wafer I had stuck on a tree.

At 15 yards, just a few feet from the scent wafer, he stopped and looked at it as if thinking where is that hot doe I smell. Then he turns, takes a few steps closer and when he hits broadside I bust him. I was hunting 20+ feet up so hit him high and spined him. He went down immediately. A follow up shot finished him off quick. My Widow was now back on its killing streak. Here's a pic of the deer:

I'm real proud of this deer, he's probably the 3rd largest I've taken with trad gear. Especially proud to have taken him during the gun season on heavily gun hunted property.

For those interested, my equipment was a 52 lb. Widow PSA recurve, 160 grain snuffers, Beman Classic shafts(total arrow weight 480 grains).

Hope ya'll enjoyed this little story and I wish you all the best luck this season.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First deer of 2008
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
Nice story and pics.  Congrats!!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Nice job! I love hunting with my bow in our gun season.....lots of deer moving! Congrats! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Robert Warnock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
That's a nice buck, enjoyed the story.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Wally

Good to see your good luck charm (arrowhead) broughts you some luck! Good job!!!!!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Way to go! Great story!

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
Congrats, fine looking deer.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 01:01:00 AM »
That's a good looking buck!
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 01:06:00 AM »
Congrats Wally, That's a fine looking Buck!! Its hard to keep a Widder down for long!!!

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 04:20:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
Very nice!

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
good job wally
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
Congrats Wally!

I had my 1st miss this year with the longbow you sold me a couple years ago.  This is my 1st year dedicated to trad gear.  I was hard for me to give up the wheelie bow.  Saturday I also had an encounter with a nice buck. Just outa range. Would have been my biggest to date.(as long as I wouldnt have miss him too
   :pray:   )

Thats a good buck!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
Wally!!!!!

Great job buddy, now since i have seen you shoot, i dont know if i believe that you shot over his back...but i guess anything is possible   :bigsmyl:  Really Wally, good looking buck, Congrats on a fine Kill.

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
Thanks everybody for the nice comments....

I've really enjoyed hearing other tradgangers stories over the years and am glad you enjoyed mine also. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys posting about your hunts this year too.
Heck, it doesn't have to be successful as far as kills go, just some pics of your adventures and a little story to go with it is something I've always enjoyed reading.

John - I'm thinking maybe I need to carry that stone on all my hunt'n trips from now on  :)  .....Maybe even carry it to some 3D tourneys to see if it will help me give you a run for your money  :knothead:  .

Mike - glad to hear from you and that the Iron Mountain is still in good hands. You know that bow knows how to kill 'cause I killed several deer and a turkey with that bow the one year I had it. I know you'll do well this season - PM me sometime and we'll get together and do a hunt or something.

Everyone else - you guys are the best.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
Wally , great job. I want to see Joyce's pic on here with a nice deer. You need to start guideing harder. LOL. Good luck the rest of the year. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
Thanks Don. While Joyce loves the 3D shoots, she does not hunt....Good luck to you with your season too...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©