3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chek-Mate shooters  (Read 6222 times)

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Chek-Mate shooters
« on: December 28, 2006, 06:17:00 PM »
I just ordered a Chek-Mate Hunter II. Since then, I have been trying to read all I can about Chek-Mates and have noticed something.  Nobody seems to have ANYTHING bad to say about them.  Here are my questions...

For those of you who have shot Chek-Mate bows what do you like about them?  What didn't you like?  Would you hesitate to order one again? Lastly, why in the world are they so much less expensive than the other custom bows on the market?  They are about half the price of Widow's, Blacktails, Bracks, etc.  If they are that good, couldn't they still sell at $900.00?  

Thoughts?
***TGMM Family of the Bow***

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chek-Mate shooters
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »
My hunter 56 is nice, and I love the little bow. The thing most people dislike about Chek-Mate recurves is the fact that they have a large grip. But I have large hands so it fits me perfect.

One thing I noticed with the Hunter 56 is if I look close I can see sanding marks in the riser. But I'm a woodworker, so I notice stuff like that.

But my son has a Chek-Mate Longhorn Special, and best I can tell it's flawless. It looks better than some 800-900 dollar bows I've seen.

Would I order one again- nope!

Why are they less expensive, only the Chek-Mate folks can answer that.

But I feel they could charge just as much as anyone else if thay wanted.

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »
I am assuming that you wouldn't order one again because of the wait?  Per our earlier conversations in PM I understand completely.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 06:56:00 PM »
I had the very bow you describe, and the only possibly negative thing I can say about it was that it had a rather large grip. It was smooth as butter, and shot very well. I didn't think the finish was bad, it's a hunter type finish, after all, and made to be dull in the woods. I thought mine was a very handsome bow.

I think you'll like your bow.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »
The grip is pretty much the only gripe I've heard about (other than the wait).  It comes down to two things--Marc (the bowyer) feels a larger grip is harder to torque, and they rather be safe than sorry when working with an all wood riser.

Due to the number of orders, the wait does stay pretty long.  We try to give an accurate time frame, but we don't always get it right--there's too many variables and other folks (wood suppliers, glass suppliers, glue, finish, machinery, illness, injury, etc.) that can cause delays.  I do my best to mention this to the folks I talk to--I won't guarantee a delivery date because neither I or CM have full control over everything.

As for the price, well....nobody is getting rich at CM, and that isn't their goal.  They are making a living doing what they enjoy and supporting the sport they love.  Sure, they could charge a lot more (and have often been advised they should), but that's just not the way they operate.  They keep overheads costs down in a lot of ways too--zero advertising costs to the company, only four people at the shop, and enough equipment and skill to be very productive. There has been quite a few of them sold over the years by different dealers who had a different name put on them.  One story I was told was about a fellow (hasn't been a dealer for CM for quite some time) who was selling the Falcon (forget what he called it--he didn't tell anyone they were CM bows) at a reasonble price, and sold very few.  One day, for a reason I can't remember, he jacked the price up--after than, they sold like hotcakes.  I've had other bowyers, shop owners, and even customers tell me that the price should be much higher.  Hopefully that won't happen though.

Chad

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »
I have two Chek Mate bows (Hunter I Shedua/Bubinga riser-Black Locust limbs 60" 50lbs@28", Hunter II Maple/Bubinga riser-Elm limbs 58" 52lbs@28") and just ordered my third (Hunter 56 Zebrawood/Walnut riser-Walnut limbs 52lbs@28").

The only, and I mean only complaint I have is that they could have a touch more mass weight. This is purely a personal preference; the next guy probably finds their weight perfect.  

Some feel the grip is a bit large. I have medium-large hands, and find the grip comfortable.  You can either ask for a smaller grip when you order, or have Marc take some off it if you find it too big when you get your bow.

I have no idea why they are so reasonably priced. My guess is that Marc simply believes in building a great bow at a fair price. I have no doubt Chek Mate could have their dealers charge more. My view of this is "don't complain"!

I guess the only other thing I could comment on is the estimated 4-8 month delivery time on a bow. It really isn't out of line if you look into delivery times for most any custom bow, and considerably less than many.

On the other hand, there are a couple of dealers that carry a decent selection in stock.  I'm left handed and located eight Hunter I's and II's, and a single Hunter 56 in stock between four dealers.  I bought both my Hunter I & II in stock from Height Archery In Winnipeg and had them delivered in 8 and 10 days, respectively.

Between GM Archery and Height Archery alone, their right hand inventory is so extensive I would have had no problem finding exactly what I wanted in all three bows.

What do I like about my Hunters?  They are beautiful, extremely well made, handle like a dream, and flat out shoot great. Because they are so smooth they feel like their draw weight is several pounds lighter than it actually is.

The Hunter II is a bit more forgiving and easier to shoot, but the Hunter I is faster, all else being equal. I've been told the Hunter 56 gives up a touch of speed to the Hunter II, but at 56" is handier and more manueverable. Everything is a trade off, a guy just has to decide what is most important to him.
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 08:48:00 PM »
I love mine! I bought it from Chad, and the wait was worth it. It shoots like a dream for me. I could see where the grip could be a problem for some, but my hands are large. It's been good to me. The first 3 critters I shot at gave up the ghost. Doubt it will ever leave my stable of bows. Matter of fact, I've sold everything else I own, and now want a Falcon to have as my "fun" bow to bunny hunt with. You'll love your CM. I could have bought a more expensive custom, but after shooting mine, why would I?
Mike Davenport

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »
We have 3 Chek-Mates in the family. A 62" Hunter II, A 58" Hunter II, and a Falcon Deluxe. Would I buy another? Definately, even with the wait.
I first heard of Chek-Mate several years ago.Know what scared me off at that time? I couldn't find alot of info on them and the price.As I began questioning other shooters, I was hearing great things about them.When I desided to shop for a new bow I contacted Chad. I wound up ordering 3.
I believe the lack of advertising plays a big part in the price.How ever they are controlling their cost I hope it continues.You will more than likely spend more on the most popular production bows today than you will a Chek-Mate that you may have a choice in riser woods, grip,limb veneers etc.
I can't give you a negative on any of our 3 Chek-mates.I ordered the standard grip and it fits my style of shooting perfectly.The grips are large but arn't a problem even for my wife.As far as mass weight, I ordered a cocobolo riser which is quite noticably heavier than my wifes rosewood and chechen riser.I like the weight. She likes the lack of.
The workmanship on them is super. They shoot as well if not better than any other bow I have been around.
Personally, I am just an average working stiff with a family that is also interested in and loves traditional archery.These bows are affordable to the average guy. Would I buy a more expensive bow? I see no reason to.Rarely do I feel that I got my moneys worth when I make a purchase today. I know I did with these bows.
As far as the wait. If you can find a bow that you are happy with in stock thats wonderful.I would go the ordering route again simply because I  enjoyed selecting the materials for MY bow. I was also able to specify my draw weight at my draw length. No comprimising. Did I mention that Marc came within 1# of the specified weights on all 3 bows?If I were going to order, I would do it now. Even with an 8 month wait I would be hunting with it next season.
I have a daughter-in-law and a granddaughter hopefully joining us in the field in the future. I am sure they will be shooting Chek-Mates also.
Relax. Time will pass and your new bow will be in your hands.When it is I am sure you will be pleased with your choice.

Good luck with your new bow.

Ed

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »
I've owned 4 Chek-mates and still own 3. Hunter 2, Raven and Falcon. Enjoyed a Crusader for a year or two and moved on to other customs.

Chek-mates are a real work horse bow that comes at an extrememly fair price. Are they absolutely perfect for someone ordering a 'custom' ? In my case, no. But that doesn't mean they aren't worth every penny you pay for them ....and more.

You'll hear people say "You can't go wrong with a Chek-mate" and I'd say that statement is extremely true.
If someone is considering heading to a chain store for a Bear or Martin, I try and push them towards a Chek-mate Falcon. They are prettier, perform great and cost less.

I think where the animosity may occur is with people who think they should get a $650 custom bow for $350 and have every little detail made to their dream expectations within a couple months. (Probably not gonna happen)  

That said, they are a great bow.  I for one am very thankfull there are bow makers like chek-mate out there.

You can't go wrong.  :D
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »
I have owned a couple my self.  The shoot great.  I hated the fat grip on my Hunter 2.  So a rasp, sand paper and a caliper to verify the grip on my Blacktail solved that problem.  I have a CM HII with a Norm Johnson grip on it.
Recurveman

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 11:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by thetroutguy:
I am assuming that you wouldn't order one again because of the wait?  Per our earlier conversations in PM I understand completely.
Yep, sorry troutguy, that's what I meant, because of the wait.

I didn't say I wouldn't buy another Chek-Mate, whether new or used. But the only way I reckon I'd order another bow from anyone, is if they guarantee in writing when I will recieve it! LOL!

And, I'm not saying this to attack anyone either, because Chad & Marc and Chek-Mate are great. Just email some of the other bowyers or dealers at midnight and see how many respond within an hour or so.

When I was researching and looking for bows, I emailed I narrowed it down to 4 different bows I wanted. I emailed the 4 dealers, and 2 responded. Chad Weaver responded within minutes, and the other guy responded 2 months later, and tried to convince me to buy a bow 10#'s heavier than I could comfortably handle!
So that's why I chose Chek-Mate, and Chad Weaver.

But I am simply too impatient to wait on a bow 4 months, much less 8 months! LOL!

Sorry for the confusion..............

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline Panzer I

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 12:05:00 AM »
I have the Hunter I and I like the bow alot,so much so I am getting ready to send of an order for a 55# "Atilla".

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 01:13:00 AM »
Just to set the record straight on something.  In no way was I complaining about the cost or the wait.  The wait is not out of line for a custom bow, in fact it is less than most.  The cost is a great benefit for those of us on a tight budget.  I know that I am fortunate to have found a custom bow for the price I paid.  I am just surprised that with all the rave reviews and endorsements that they haven't upped the price.  Kudo's to Chek-Mate for keeping their cost down and allowing those of us raising a family and trying to make ends meet the opportunity at a custom bow.  CM obviously believes in what they do.  Not a single penny spent on advertising, yet we all know about them.  Speaks volumes if you ask me.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 05:39:00 AM »
I had 3 checkmates and in a lack of good judgement I sold one to a archer that just had to have that checkmate bow of mine. It was just a little heavy for me. so I sold it and have kicked myself every day since.  I can not find a thing to say about them that is not positive.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »
I think a good indicator on how good Chek Mates are is to peruse the Classifieds on the Traditional websites.  

There are a ton of Chek Mates out there (I read somewhere that it's estimated Marc has built 10,000 bows in the last 30 or so years).  With that in mind how often do you see a Chek Mate up for sale or trade, particularly compared to other bows?

That really struck me when I first started looking into Chek Mates.  Folks buy em' and keep em'.  That indicates extreme customer satisfaction...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 09:32:00 AM »
I think a good indicator on how good Chek Mates are is to peruse the Classifieds on the Traditional websites.  I did this when I first started looking into Chek Mates, and it struck me how rarely one was up for sale or trade.  

There are a ton of Chek Mates out there (I read somewhere that it's estimated Marc has built 10,000 bows in the last 30 or so years) and it seems the folks that bought them are hanging on to them.

To me, that was an indicator of extreme customer satisfaction with the product.  Add me to that list...   :thumbsup:
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the good word folks.  Troutguy, I understand completely and can't fault anyone for not wanting to wait.  I'm trying to get a decent inventory built up, but I can't get them fast enough.

Marc has built well over 10,000 bows, but it hasn't taken him 30 years (he's only 38)--he's been with CM for 19 or 20 years now.  That's another great thing--Lord willing and there are no disasters, he's going to be around for a long time to come--and he has two kids that will hopefully take up the trade.

Chad

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 03:40:00 PM »
Chad, not complaining about the wait at all.  Just is tough when you are Obsessive/Compulsive like me. LOL.

Is my bow done yet?

How about now?

Now?

Just kidding.   :knothead:

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
Lol--no problem at all--shoot, I couldn't blame anyone for fussing on me, and I'd just have to take it.  

Chad

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 09:37:00 AM »
This is Jake on BigDog's account...

Between my daughter and I we have 4 Chek-Mate bows and, like everyone here, I've been completely satisfied with the bows and the people around them (another HEARTY thumbs-up  :thumbsup:    for Chad ... if I ever need another Chek-Mate he's my go-to guy!)  

But the thread's about negatives so here are a few (and notice how minor they are...)

1. They're not the fastest bows made.  They're 'fast enough', accurate and very stable, but they won't win any chronograph awards - for those who care about such things

2. I can't confirm this officially, but all the CM's I've measured seem to have their weight measured from the THROAT of the grip rather than from the back.  They're all spot on if you measure them that way, but they're all a few pounds light if you measure from the back of the bow.  No worries if you know this and account for it in your order since Marc does an excellent job of 'hitting weight' on his bows.  Then again, I've often argued that throat-to-string is the right way to measure draw because THAT is my draw-- the same draw with a slender longbow as with a paddle-wide old-fashioned target recurve. (but that's a topic for another thread.)

3. The speckle finish is just messy looking (I honestly thought someone had an 'oops' in the spray booth.)  A nice, even, matte finish would be  better looking and no more shiney.

4. The tips are 'chunky' (but nigh indistructable)

5. The grips are a little hefty (as noted by others)

6. They're made in Canada (bonus for me, but I've noticed that some Americans make a big deal out of that)

Added together this list wouldn't slow me down by a heart-beat from ordering another Chek-Mate.

I have heard it so often, and found it so true, that I have come to believe that Chek-Mate's company motto is:

"You can't go wrong with a Chek-Mate"

Jake
(who doesn't usually post from other people's accounts but wanted to get is 35cents worth in)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©