3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chek-Mate shooters  (Read 6190 times)

Offline Flints

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chek-Mate shooters
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »
I own a Hunter II and  a Crusader bought through G+M Archery (too impatient to have wait for them to be built). My hands are small to medium but as I grip the Hunters large riser, all I do is just touch my the tip of my thumb to the tip of my middle finger and all is secure. It is the only bow I have that I feel totally confident enough with to shoot at longer distances, 30 or 40 yds, at targets, not game. Love the Crusader too. They are well made, great shooters at very reasonable prices and a wonderful way to get into archery.I can't imagine selling them, too much fun! I have other bows that I have enjoyed but then I want something new. It seems to be different with the Chek-Mates so far.  :thumbsup:
If a man that is not perfect be ever in practice, he shall as well
practice his errors as his abilities and induce one habit of both; and there is no means to help this but by intermission - Francis bacon

Offline outdoor_matt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »
I bought a Chek-mate Falcon for my first bow and it has been flawless so far.  I haven't fired other bows, so I couldn't comment on comparison.  You won't be disappointed.
Saved by Grace

Offline Donnie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 12:23:00 PM »
I am fairly new to shooting Traditional equipment, and it was my good fortune to purchase a Chek-Mate Hunter II T/D from one of the members of this forum.  (At the time, I really didn't know a whole lot about Chek-Mate... I just wanted a good bow.)  Compared to the Bear bow that I had been shooting... the Chek-Mate shot like an absolute dream!!!

Since that time... I have been able to shoot a few bows made by P.S.E., Hoyt, and Martin... and my Chek-Mate out performs them all, hands down.  (I haven't shot any of the other high end bows like Brac or Blacktail.)  One of the Martin bows that I shot was several hundred dollars more than what my particular Chek-Mate Hunter II T/D sells for (brand new) and for the first time... I came to realize what a gem of a bow I was shooting.  

The Martin was not as smooth as my Chek-Mate.  The Martin had a lot of vibration... and in my opinion... was WAAAAAAAYYYY over priced!  I'm not slamming any particular bow manufacturer... but the Chek-Mate really out shined the bow that I would have probably bought... if I hadn't tripped across the Chek-Mate first.

My wife and son tried unstringing my bow one day while I was at work, and they "rolled the top limb".  I sent the bow in, and had a new set of limbs within about 2 weeks.  The service I received from Chad and Dorothy (I think that is Marc's wife's name,) was absolutely outstanding.

Other than that... I come from many years of shooting compounds... in which I was accustomed to "small" grips.  At first... the large grip was a bit uncomfortable... but I got use to it quick, and I really don't think that the Chek-Mate grip is much different than the Bear or Martin bows... its just shaped a little different.  (Of course... I'm gonna think EVERY grip is too big!)

Presently... I have a second Chek-Mate on order.  The wait hasn't been easy... but then again... there are other bow manufacturers that you must wait at least a year before delivery of the bow.  The wait is nothing when you consider what you are buying.  I don't have a lot of money to throw around, and live in an area in which I don't have the option of trying out a lot of the better bows on the market.  So... when I consider the quality of bow that I am purchasing... I know that when I get it... it will be right... and of exceptional quality.  The wait means nothing to me.

Donnie

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 12:43:00 PM »
Here is a pic of my King's Pawn. one of the prettiest bows I own. Only things that was a bit tough was quieting it down. But after finding the right arrow/brace height/and installing string silencers and bow hushes, it's fine.

Offline painthorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »
Love my Falcon.Got it for a backup.Liked it so much sold my other bow.
Good bows.Chad is great to deal with.Give him a call.   :thumbsup:  

Have a SAFE and happy new year    :)  

Scott

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 01:50:00 PM »
I have a Raven I love 47@28 great bow
Contempt prior to investigation leads to everlasting ignorance!
William James

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
I'm not sure if I should have started a new thread, but, I guess it relates:

I just received a used-in-good-shape RH Falcon from a fellow TG'er.  I noticed that the top limb is perfect, but the string groove on the bottom limb is NOT quite centered on the limb. When strung (I waited until I bought a stringer), it looks as if the bottom tip is leaning to the left slightly.  I was concerned, and thought the limb had been bent, but the string groove itSELF isn't quite centered, so I think it had to come that way from the "factory".  Have any of you ever experienced this, and should I think twice about it?  I'll try to post some pictures.

I'm new to trad, so am not even good enough to know if it's affecting my shooting; I'm amazed at it's accuracy using instinctive.  

As far as the grip - I've got large hands, so I like the size.  

Re: Chek-Mate's "affordability":  I think this is a smart move on the company's part.  Look how many Fred Bear affordable bows have been sold - WAY MORE than any of the "top-of-the-line" bows... perhaps just because he built a solid bow at an affordable price!  If Chek-Mate were to jack up the price, then they would have to compete with a slightly different market: all the other $$$ top-of-the-line bowyers.  I think they might lose customers.

P.S.  What should my brace height be?  7.5"?
Bow:
62" Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve: 51# @ 28", Braceheight: 7 3/4"

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »
I bought a Crusader this past April while I was away on a contract out of state. I got it from a felolow TG. I also got it very, very reasonable. The first time I shot it, dead on. Love the craftsmanship, the feel of the bow, can't really believe it's that light and fats enough to take anything I go after.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
Jake is correct, CM Hunters aren't the fastest bows out there.  I have a LH Fedora 560 TD 62" 53lbs@28", that is faster than either my 52lbs Hunter II or 50lbs Hunter I. I mean way faster. But my Hunters are plenty fast enough.

Bear in mind though that a new Fedora 560 TD costs at least $200-$300 more than a new CM Hunter. For all it's speed and obvious craftsmanship, I  shoot my CM's (particularly my Hunter II)better than my Fedora as they just fit my shooting style better.

In fact, I'm going to put my Fedora up on the Classifieds one of these days.  Anyone have a LH Hunter II they want to swap?     :D
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 05:48:00 PM »
A couple of things I felt I should clarify....

CM bows aren't the fastest on the market, and aren't built to be.  They are built to be forgiving with good speed--however, I don't know of any bows that just run off and leave them in the dust, at least not according to the chrony.  I'm averaging 187 fps with my Crusader longbow, shooting a hunting set-up:  arrows just under 10 gpp, 14 strand Dyna '97 string, 8+ inches of .025 serving, shot with a glove, silencers on the string.

The draw weight is measured by AMO specs--straight up from the deepest part of the grip, plus 1.75"--pretty much the back of the shelf.  CM uses a scale that is calibrated to be within 2# at 200#, or within 1/2# at 50#.  I can't say their scale couldn't be off, but the one they use is more accurate and reliable than most.

The textured finish does look like a bad paint job--but that's how it's supposed to look.  Don't really care for it myself.  They do also offer a smooth satin (non glossy, non reflective) finish that looks better to me.

Dorthy is one of the owners, not Marc's wife.  Not sure if she'd laugh, hit you in the mouth, or both over that comment!

Allan, the string should sit centered in the groove.  Unstring the bow, and without using any heat just twist it slightly by hand.  Go slow and easy.  You should be able to get that slight twist out with no problem at all.  If not, shoot me an e-mail and I'll see what we can do.  Your brace height should run between 7.5" and 8.5".  A little tinkering will tell you what the bow likes.

Thanks again to all for your comments, and especially the complements!

Chad

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »
I've had 2 CMs and love them both. I sold my H2 to fund another project and to pass on to a new trad shooter for him to get started. I almost cried when she left but when I see him shoot it and how well he's doing with it, it brings a smile to my face. I still have my Crusader LB and will have that forever. CMs are the BEST bang for the buck out there and Chad is a helluva guy!
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline Donnie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »
Chad,

OOOooooopppss!!!!!!!    :thumbsup:   )

Donnie

Offline Baffinland Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
I'll put in my two bits' worth. I own a Chek Mate Hunter Takedown (62" 58#). I purchased it from a firm (Canadian Traditional Archery)located in Alberta, who, I think, are no longer in business. I was deeply, deeply suspicious when they quoted a price for a take down bow because it seemed too good to be true. Plus, I had never heard of Chek Mate. They were not on my list of known big name firms. I asked around and got nothing but positive reviews, so I went ahead and ordered one. I have never regretted it. It is a beautiful bow, fast, and built like a tank. I like non-tank things that are built like a tank. I like the fact that the riser is big and bulky.

Several years later, I started communicating with Chad Weaver who, even though he knew I already had a Chek Mate and therefore would not be making a sale, took the time and trouble to answer a lot of my dumb questions. Later on, I ended up buying a bowstring and a few other odd items, including the DVD "Doin the Twist" (highly recommended) from him.

Chad is a good guy to deal with, is honest and very knowledgeabe about his craft. You can do business with him with complete confidence.

Robert

Offline Yellow Owl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »
I own a Checkmate Hunter 2 53# at 28". I really like the bow. I live pretty close to Mark and the Checkmate shop. This is a quality operation run by good folks. I was lucky because I was able to stop by and have the grip sized for my hand. In my case it really was a custom bow at a great price.

During the late archery season I was fortunate to be able to share a deer camp with Mark and other members of the Traditional Bowhunters of B.C. Mark and Checkmate donated a number of very nice bows that were auctioned and raffled off during the final night of the hunt. As you guys can imagine this was a great time with some quality trad bowhunters. We were all very impressed by the generosity of Mark and Checkmate. As a side note Mark shot a nice buck.

Like I said, quality people and a quality bow.
Traditional Bowhunters of B.C.
Wild Sheep Society of B.C.
B.C. Wildlife Federation

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2006, 02:28:00 AM »
What it boils down to is that you simply can't go wrong with a Chek Mate bow.

Sure wished you were carrying the 56" Hunter Chad, I would gladly have ordered it from you...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2006, 02:41:00 AM »
Chad, you were absolutely right!  Upon further inspection, both string grooves ARE perfectly centered on the limbs, and after some slow, firm twisting, it's perfect!  --Took me all of ten minutes to fix.  Thanks!

I love this bow.
Bow:
62" Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve: 51# @ 28", Braceheight: 7 3/4"

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2006, 06:14:00 AM »
I've owned a few CM recurve bows and for the money they're a great bow especially the Hunter II. The Hunter II is undoubtedly the best recurve they make.

The only negative I've found with them is getting them to shoot as quiet as I like. The Hunter I and especially the Firebird take some tinkering to quiet down. I never could get a Firebird to shoot quiet and ended up selling it after a week.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »
ND, I can take orders on the 56" Hunter, I just don't have it on my site.  I appreciate the thought though!

Glad it worked Allan!  It really sounds too simple, but it works!  Several years ago I had a fellow contact me, literally almost in tears.  He'd twisted a limb and thought he'd ruined his bow.  I told him how to fix it, but he said he'd rather I do it for him.  He drove several hours, and in a few minutes it was as good as new--thought he was going to hug me.

Ghost, if you ever run into that again, give me a holler and I'll see if I can help.  I have run into a very few that were finicky about tuning--usually the short bows.  Really couldn't say why that happens on some, but I haven't had one in my hands yet that I couldn't get quiet.  Along with brace height, silencer placement can make a big difference.  I've had customers tell me their CM recurves were quieter than some longbows they owned.  The type string, material, and how it's made will also make a difference--more on some than on others.  The Firebird was probably the most finicky, but it's not offered anymore.

Thanks again for all the great feedback, and hope you all have a very Happy New Year!

Chad

P.S.  Donnie, I haven't said a word to Dorthy (yet).

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2006, 06:52:00 PM »
I have owned 10 CMs and they were all fine bows. I would love a hunter 1 as I think it their best performer, but I have decided to shoot only two bows that are identical except for #age. They are probably the best bow for your buck out there as they perform and look as good as a lot of 8-9 hundred dollar bows. The wait is short compared to a lot of bowyers wait time as well. If ya order one custom ya can ask to have the grip a little narrower and ask Marc to use Dymondwood which is some tough stuff!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »
Damn, I misunderstood Chad.  I thought you didn't deal with the 56" Hunter. Sorry pard...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©