INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: "Timex".... turkey!  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
"Timex".... turkey!
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
Spent my morning in my Double Bull, had turkeys within earshot all morning,but nothing close enough to shoot. Couldn't stay real long as I had a b-day party to set up for. Packed up so I could go check my trail cam then head home. On the way to my truck it seemed they were turkeys everywhere else but where I was!

Drove around to the other side of the orchard and got out to walk the 100yds or so to my cam and ran smack dab right into a bird in the thick stuff on the way in.Last week I'd run into birds in the same place and they crossed the brush hogged trail after I saw them in there. With nothing to lose I snuck back out,ran to the truck and grabbed my bow.

Nocked an arrow that still had the string tracker attached, and started my sneak back in. I made it just in time, a bird was just crossing the trail  as I thought it might. I was within 20yds, but it saw me and started to walk away fast! At about 22yds,and angling slightly from left to right,the big snuffer slammed home! The bird was immediately air born taking string like a bone fish on a fly rod!

I knew with the angle from back to front that I wad a good shot, but boy was the string wizzin' out! When the bird took to the air it was quickly out of site, but after about 30 seconds and almost a full 30# spool the string suddenly stopped. I put my bow down and checked the spot and about 20yds further and could see the bird was bleeding as it was flying. But it headed over some of the most hellatious cover you could imagine! My hope was that it would make it back out to the openness of the orchard before coming down...hopefully! I really didn't want to have to go in there!

My thoughts were that the bird had probably crash landed somewhere in that hell hole, but I had no choice but back out and get home for the party and come back in a few hours to track the bird.......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Timex".... turkey!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Oh Yeah !!  :wavey:    :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
Cant wait to see the end of that tracker string.
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
:archer:  we're ready when you are!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
Congrats Curt. I hope to make it out a time or two for some turkey stalking, so hurry up and show us how it is done.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Grab hold of that string and reel'em back in.LOL
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Sorry guys......

....So when things at the party slowed down, I bailed. I hoped the bird(if it was dead) hadn't died in the sun as it was heating up and I sure didn't want the heat to ruin the meat......

.....It's always bizarre following the string on a flying bird. It's in treetops and it lays on top of everything instead of under and thru everything. I knew from the start that where this bird had flown,it would have been impossible,and I mean impossible to find this bird without the string. My hope was that when the string stopped,it had meant the bird came down and not the string breaking or the arrow falling out....but I was confident.....

....the start of the string.....

...I was lucky that the bird had flown almost parallel to the edge of the orchard. I was able to follow the string from about 50yds away with the help of my Leica's. If I'd of had to follow the line of the string, I'd still be breaking brush and about dead!  

Further along on the string....

After about 100yds I could see the string was getting tighter and it was getting harder to see. It was also getting closer to the edge now too,only about 20yds in now instead of 50yrs or so. It was also heading to a cut out in the orchard. I had my fingers crossed that it had dyed as it flew over the open orchard!

Further along.....some of the thickest stuff you'll ever see!......

I decided to jump forward and see if the string was in the orchard ahead. Dang,no string....that means I'd have to go in and find the end!

Again using my bino's a much as possible I finally  could tell the the string dove down about 10yds short of the orchard. It had to be right in front of me, but there was now way to possibly see anything in there. I decided to test the waters first and collected some dropped pears and pitched a half dozen into where it looked like the string plunged into the briars.....no movement or noise at all.....I nocked an arrow and slowly waded in....after breaking in about 5yds I saw my arrow right in front of me,but I still couldn't see a turkey. I had to use my bino's from 5 yrd away to see the bird.....this is waht it looked like....yes there's a turkey in there!

here it is a little cleared out.....it was so thick it never made it to the ground! It was hung up upside down in the briars...

It had apparently died in flight and crash landed,plunging into the briars....I had my bird!!

Without the tracker I wouldn't have had a clue!

Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
She went probably about 120yds or so. The arrow had entered at the base of the tail and drove up into the body cavity......

"Timex" for those who don't know is my old reliable Kempf Kwyk Styk 'curve,63#. Arrow was a Carbonwood 4000 with of course a Big 'ol Snuffer 160......
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine bird Curt.I was just wondering where you attached the string tracker in this particular bow? Thanks.
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
Great job Curt!!!!!  :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
I think a turkey is one of the finest trad bow trophies there is  :)

rusty

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
Man...you lucked out! That was a great story!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline TheBigRedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Congratulations on the bird.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Way to go Curt!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
Them birds are tough. Congrats Curt!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
Curt, Awesome shooting bud. Way to go on the hunt.

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
Congrats my friend  :wavey:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Nice follow up, Curt. That string tracker saved the day for sure!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
Congrats string tracker are nice.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Users currently browsing this topic: