INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: This one took some work.  (Read 6265 times)

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
This one took some work.
« on: October 20, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
Earlier this year I was lucky enough to draw an access permit for the Marais Des Cygnes national wildlife refuge. I was really pumped about the opportunity to hunt a new area and quickly started planning my attack. I ordered a topo of the area and printed several aerial photos off the net. I really enjoy studying maps and trying to figure out the best places for an ambush. I have very limited time to actually hunt so I try to get as much enjoyment out of the anticipation and planning as I can. Studying maps lets me do this from the comfort of my living room. I marked several places that looked promising then took a scouting trip a few weeks ago to confirm my hunches. I had a couple of different places selected for each different wind direction and was eager to hit the woods with bow in hand. One spot in particular really had me intrigued. It was a natural funnel created by three different types of cover converging at an old fence intersection. I needed a northeast wind to hunt it which is somewhat unusual for this part of the country. Well, as luck would have it, I checked the weather forecast and a northeast wind was predicted for the first few hours on Saturday morning before switching around to the south later in the afternoon. The trap was set...

When I arrived Saturday morning there was already a truck in the parking lot. I really didn't think this fellow bowhunter would interfere with my plans since the spot I was heading to was about a mile and a half from the nearest road. Most guys just won't hunt this far from the truck. I grabbed my bow and ghillie suit and started the long walk in. I had to cross a tall grass field and with the heavy dew my bottom half was soaking wet when I arrived at the old fence intersection. I picked out a good tree, trimmed a few small branches, zipped up the ghillie suit and sat waiting for the sunrise. At first light several turkeys started yelping from the trees out in front of me. It was great to be out in the woods again!

At about 8 o'clock, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. It was a small buck coming from my left. One side of his rack was missing and the other side was forked. I didn't have any intention on shooting him so I just sat back and watched. He ended up coming right through the funnel at 20 yards which brought a small grin of satisfaction to my face. With over 5,000 acres to choose from, today I had picked the right spot and no matter what the rest of the morning would bring, I was satisfied.

About 40 minutes had passed since the little buck had wandered through my little corner of the world when I again caught movement to my left. A quick flash of antler had me reaching for my bow and the go light was on. It was immediately evident that he was headed to the funnel and if he stayed on his current path he would be passing in front of me much closer than the small buck had. Maybe to close. At under 15 yards he stepped behind a large tree and I raised my bow. He continued on with no idea I was there. He passed directly in front me at 8 yards as I slowly pulled the arrow to anchor. I released and the arrow instantly appeared just behind his shoulder. As he charged out of the area I tried as hard as I could to stay calm and mark his direction of travel. After ten short seconds of chaos, all was silent.

I sat back and tried to catch my breath. The shot looked good and I was fairly confident of a short blood trail but I still forced myself to wait for 30 minutes before looking for blood. The first couple of clues gave every indication that this blood trail would be a short one.

More later.....

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: This one took some work.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:    :coffee:    :coffee:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
Cool!

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
Sure doesn't look like he is going far!

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
Holy Moly!!!  you will definatly be finding that deer quick, look at that tree!!!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
Can't wait!!  C'mon we need the rest of the story!!
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
OH MY GOD!  He must have jumped up on that tree trying to climb it.  That should be a real short tracking job.  On with it Bill
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
that's likely to leave a mark!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline UCBerzerkeley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
what a photo!

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
congrats! Cant wait for the story and more pics.
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Yeah, he didn't make it very far. I easily followed the blood trail to the last spot I saw him running. I then looked up and could see him laying not 20 yards from were I was standing. He hadn't made it 75 yards before piling up. The snuffer had done its job quickly. I'll never get tired of seeing this..

I said a little prayer of thanks and then tried to clean him up as best I could for a couple of pictures. I was very pleased to say the least.

After I field dressed him and the euphoria of taking my second buck from the ground in as many years wore off, reality set it. The refuge only allows foot traffic so I was going to have to drag this deer out of the woods with the quads God gave me. I got out my maps and gps and tried to plan the shortest way out of there. The gps told me the closest road was roughly 1.5 miles from where I now sat. I started dragging at about 10 a.m. I'm not going to bore you with all the agony I went through getting this deer to the road but I will tell you I reached the road at 3 p.m. Since I do most of my hunting in the Missouri Ozarks I've had plenty of tough drags but this was by far the longest. By the time I made it back to the truck I was completely spent. Every muscle in my body aches but it was all worth it.

Thanks for listening. I need to go take some more tylenol.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Alright!Congratulations Bill he is a dandy!

:campfire:      :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
That'll work.  Congrats Bill.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
congrats man, great hunt, thanks for sharing. i bet the pain feels soooo good about now huh???
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
The topos and photos paid off in a big way.  Way to go  :thumbsup:
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
A dandy for sure!!!!!!    :clapper:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
Beauty.

Three words of advice- Plastic Snow Sled.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
I never seen a blood trail hit a tree like that before. Were you on your knees shooting upwards?
Congrats!!
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
nice buck! I should have known a snuffer caused that blood trail!    :thumbsup:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
Well done BMN!
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©