INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: doe hunt,, wingnut scores, look before ya leap!  (Read 3207 times)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
doe hunt,, wingnut scores, look before ya leap!
« on: October 19, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
Wingnut and I went to Centerville, TX on an annual thin the does hunt.  Our friend owns a place at Centerville that has been in his family since the late 1800's.  A true wonder land for deer and fox squirrels (biggest fox squirrels I've ever hunted).

What a grand adventure this year.  We were in deer close to our stands every time we went out. Our host's invitation included the request "a doe only hunt", which Wingnut and I respect to the letter, just grateful to have such a wonderful place to hunt.

I think in the three hunt between us we must have seen more than a dozen deer.  BTW this included soon bucks that would make ya plumb dizzy look'n at the rack.

Wingnut (Mike at Dryad bows) has put some stands in on very productive mast areas, trails and funnles to mast and bedding areas.  He has done a great job scouting and hiding the stands.  We were not over feeders (legal in Teaxs), so it is there is some luck involved, some skill at remaining hidden and quiet, and mostly a great deal of patience.

Wingnut was shooting one of his bows a 58" glass recurve with vapor carbonwoods and (i think I remember) 320gr up front including a WW 3 blade.

I was shooting a Brenardini 21" riser, pse wood and glass limbs (44# on the fingers) and an SRF sight and 600 easton st epics with 100 gr stingers (320gr thank ya  :) )

rusty -straight and fassssssst- Craine

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: doe hunt,, wingnut scores, look before ya leap!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
I had a lot of confidence in the penetration of the 320 gr on Texas white tail.  a 2 yr old doe field dresses about 70 pound, chest is top to bottom 11", chest cavity is less the 5" wide at the heart, 9" wide at the last rib.  Oh and for as small as they are they react at somewhere near light speed.

here is one of the 320 (very close to 200fps at my draw, about 7gr per pound) penetration on a block target.

http://sites.google.com/site/stringwalkerbowhunter/speedfreek

now on two my most exciting encounter  :)

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
Wingnut wanted to go to a new stand he put in along a pipe line.  From the stand he hunted Saturday morning he could tell it was gonna be good.  He had placed another stand last year in an old drooping osage tree on the road to his new stand.  He suggested I should hunt it and we could go together.  

Gee weeze the osage tree was a perfect set up.  had drooping limbs on three sides facing away from the road.  between the three areas of cover there were great shooting lanes.  If ya had deer coming in from the road side ya could face the tree for a great shoot.  setting on the stand facing away from the road, I saw 8 legs coming thru the trees bodies hidden by yopan (a texas holly bush).

they were coming in on my left side, perfect for my right handed bow  :) .  at first I though Ma' was leading but soon saw see was trailing. I had ranged some trees in the area so I would know the distance. when I saw here she was 45 yds out and both coming my direction.

rusty

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Good stuff Rusty!  Keep it comin'
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
here is a pic of the set up from earlier.

http://sites.google.com/site/stringwalkerbowhunter/cneterville

the tree to the far left is 8 yds.  the two tree just to the right are 15 yds.  the deer are coming in from the left side farther back than the picture shows.  the big limb coming form the center of the pic shows how well Wingnut got ya covered.

The big doe took the lead as they continued in.  she stop just in the tree toward the center of the pic.  the yearling was on a track right to me.  whe was at 31 yds stopping to eat acorns head down........I tought about a good bit....but the yearling was now at 20 yds and closing.  so the yearling stops right behind those trees on the left.  head down eating chest cavity right between the two 15 yds trees.

I get to half draw.........IS THAT A DOE?  i ask myslef......I never checked.  head down can't see it.  let down.  wait till HE moves from behind the tree......buttom BUCK.

rusty -look before ya leap- Craine

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
I didn't get a shot but every hunt was filled with deer close enough that your heart got to thump'n.  To me that is a success.  Heck anything that will get this old heart a thumping is worth the trip  :)

Wingnut will be along soon (or later??) with his close encounter story and picture hint his close encounter might be a little closer than mine.

rusty -the more adrenaline the better- Craine

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
BTW to make plumb sure we kept alert in the stand Saturday night, Wingnut made some Jumbolia that was soooooooooo hot it melted my fillings and made my eyes water for 45 minutes.

I aksed "Ah Mike what'd spiece this with".  

Heee heee He say, "good flavor don'tcha think?" as he gets out his dew rag to put on and tissue for his nose.  

so in honour of da trip we now calling da stuff.....dew rag jumbolia

rusty -i like if spicy but dat stuff was HOT!- Craine

PS oh wait ya got to add 13 deer to the dozen I remembered.  Mike saw 13 deer (6 doe and 7 buck) at the "culvert stand" this morning including the 2nd biggest buck we have seen on the place....and never got a shoot???? this morning ???  :)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
OK Wingnut I got my part done.   :)

rusty -hmmmmm i think I need a shower- Craine

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Now Rusty that jambalaya was not that hot. .. .the paper plates only caught fire 3 times.  LOL

heck Rusty I barely got a shower and some chow and here ya are jumping the story on me.  It was great getting back in the woods with ya.  And especially trading lies (stories) in camp.

Well Saturday morning was a good one, except I couldn't find the dang stand I wanted.  We put it in the year before but never got a chance to hunt.  So here I am in the dark wondering around looking at trees and trying to remember where we put it.  Well it started to lighten up so I went to plan B and moved to another stand 200 yds east.

As I crawled up into the ladder stand a branch fell out of the tree and brushed my back.  I didn't think much about it and settled in.  I could hear deer moving behind me feeding on acorns but nothing made it down this far.  This stand was for later in the year as it's on a scrape line that a big buck has used the last couple of years.

When I went to stand up I noticed the 3 ft thick oak tree was moving.  That was weird so I looked up.  The tree was deader then a hammer and as I moved so did it.  Time to get down slowly and pull the stand.

Anyway I decided the morning was shot and headed towards the truck to get some tools.  Half way back I spot 5 does feeding in the oaks. Game on.  I'm wearing the gillie so I decide it was a good time to try the stalk.  Heck it worked great til I got about 25 yds out and one doe kept looking at that weird tree that was moving.  She finally took everyone out into the field to get a better look cause things were too weird in the woods.  I had a pretty good chuckle as they moved off.
Mike Westvang

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
When I was headed this way I noticed a new funnel created by a fallen tree that had a bunch of deer sign around it.

I headed to the truck and came back around to pick up the ladderstand and moved it to cover the funnel.  In the mean time I found the stand in the osage tree I was looking for in the morning.  I'd walked right past it in the dark.

The deer had been feeding right in front of the osage stand and the sign on the new one told me that tonight would be interesting.

Headed back to camp to get coffee and some breakfast.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
LOL - well I thought I had posted enough.  I left out the doe I had at 6' eye ball to eye ball across a brushy fence row.  the 9 grown coyotes I watched for 20 minutes at 23 yds eating a doe carcass (and me shooting right over a big male's back)......and a few more things   :)  

rusty -when your done, ya may not be cooked- Craine

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
Well we shot a bunch during the mid day and talked with our host, Gil.  Gil and his brother were getting ready to head out on an elk hunt in Montana and were busy kicking there stuff in a pile.

Rusty was working on getting some new arrows setup with his bow.  I gotta tell ya those metal risers with gadgets sure make tuning easy.  I even shot it a few times to get the feel of the sight.  Pretty cool.

We talked about the evening hunt and after my report on the am, we decide to hunt the osage and pipeline stands.   Rusty was in Osage and I headed for pipeline about 150 yds east.  The deer from the morning typically bed east of the pipelin and will follow one of two trails back to the acorns in the evening.  The stand I put up in the am (pipeline) is on the bigger of the two trails.

I settled in the ladderstand with just the gillie top on.  I really didn't like the pants in the am as they kept falling down.  The 60 # I have lost has made my pants want to ride a bit low.  LOL

After a few minutes the big fox squirrels came down from the trees and started working the ground.  Hmmmm, that's real early I thought.  One thing I have noticed is that when the squirrels hit the ground, the deer head for the acorns too.

Then with the sun still real high in the sky, a coon comes trundling along.  Another good sign of an early evening.  My old knees and hips won't let me stand the whole time like I used too.  So I stand for about 45 minutes and sit 10, then repeat.  I had just stood up from one of the rest periods, faced the tree and looked right, then left.  DEER!!  and they are does, five of them.  They are working down the trail I'm setup on and already in feed mode.  That's good they are calm and not at all on the alert.

If you noticed, I said faced the tree.  I read in Jim Hamms book on Hunting whitetail that it was better to use the tree as camo and face the tree to shoot.  I have been doing it since with good success.

Anyway the deer are coming with a young doe in the lead.  #2 is a lot bigger but I decide that the first one that gives a shot will be my target.  They advance slowly trying to pick up every acorn on the forest floor.  The first doe, turns and heads my way.  There is a large ash tree between her and me and she gives me a broadside just beyound it.  No. .a bit too far and it doesn't feel right.  She'll come closer.  And she does, she works around the tree and comes into the open.  That's better!!  It's the shot that I've been seeing in my head since I got in the tree.  She bends to pick up an acorn and I draw.  Burning a hole low in the crease of the shoulder, I release.  Arrow looks good and WACK!!.  The deer tumps over and lays still.  I'm going "what the heck just happened?".  As the arrow approached there was a blur of movement by the doe.  She looked like she ducked (anticipated that with the low hold) but she also fainted away and caught the arrow in the neck.  Anyway she was down.  I watched the others for a minute and saw that they were headed back.  But when I looked at the doe on the ground, she was still breathing.  The heck with the others, I climbed down, closed to 10 yds and put a finish shot through the heart.  That's better, no suffering on my watch.

Back in the tree and wait the hour and a half til dark and then go get Rusty.  He tells me of his near shots and good time and asked if I saw any.  I told him just the ones with the one that I shot.

http://sites.google.com/site/stringwalkerbowhunter/mikedoe108

Here she is with the gillie clad me.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
Congrats!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
After cleaning her up, we hit the rack.  I was heading to "Oak Flat" stand in the morning.  It has been a great area and we placed a new stand last year that had not been hunted.  When the alarm went off and we touched off the lantern it was 49 degrees.  That's dang cold for West Texas in October.  I doubled up my tee shirts when getting dressed and gillie'd up.

I slipped into the stand location in the dark and got up anticipating a great morning.  I was not going to be disappointed.  The deer had been in the oaks about 9 the day before so I settled in sitting in the stand to wait for the sun to come up.  At first light, I heard a sound under my stand and must have moved fast, the spike buck didn't wait around very long.  Well so much for patterning the time of the deer.  LOL

I began my 45 minute stand/10 minute sit routine.  An hour passed before I caught movement left and behind my stand.  Perfect place as I could not be seen until the deer was in range.  As it got closer I saw antlers and it turned into a young 6 pt buck.  It is funny that when you are doe hunting and a buck shows up you can stay calm.  I was wishing I'd brought my camera to the stand because he hung around in bow range for about 15 minutes.  He fed off and back to watching the woods.  Another hour passes and again movement.  The sun was up now and the wind switched to blow towards the sun.  This becomes a cross wind in this stand with bedding area up the hill and feeding below.  The deer were coming right down wind.. . again perfect and they were does .. . six of them.  They slowly fed down and were funneled onto the trail that goes below my stand.  At 25 yds I here steps to my left rear and look over to see a very nice 8 pt walking slowly and passing 12 yds fromthe stand and stopping in my shooting lane to that side.  He sniffed the air and caught a scent of the does.  Off he went.  I'm thinking that at least if I'm not going to shoot him. .he could leave the does alone to get shot.  But noooooooo! he chased each of them around as he checked if they were ready.

He moved off and the does again started working my way.  Again at the 25 yd point, I see another buck coming down the hill towards them...this time from the other side.  He is a 6 pt. and he chases the does away from the acorns.  After eating a while, he walks down 10 yds in front of the stand and freshens a scrape and lick branch.  The funny thing is the lick branch has a piece of tracking tape I put up to mark the stand and it kept hitting him in the head.  He went off, stopped and rubbed a tree for a while and headed down to the creek.

Later two more 6 pt came by and fed under the tree.  The does had moved off to bedding and I was ready for some chow.  So finally, I got down from the stand.  One fo the bucks stood 20 yds away and watched me walk off in my gillie suit.

It was a great morning!  Always fun to watch the deer even if you don't get a shot.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Great job and it sounds like a fun hunt.  What broadhead were you using Mike, couldn't see in the picture.

Jason

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
I use Woodsmans.  They have served me well for quite a few years.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
I've taken 3 deer with them myself.

Jason

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing...it sounds like a good time was had by all!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©