INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: A Different Kind of Elk Hunt  (Read 12419 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
A Different Kind of Elk Hunt
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
I've been on a number of elk hunts in the past, and for the most part they have been intensive, hard work type of affairs.  Long days from daylight till dark, and always with a group of other hunters.  2008 would prove to be a little different for me.

I have had a British Columbia moose hunt planned for this fall, and originally had figured that would be it for fall 2008 out of State.  But as some of you know, I retired from my job effective August 1st, leaving me the luxury of time like I have never had before.  The only problem was that I didn't think I could pull off being gone from home for an entire month and still hope to be welcome upon my return!

As the New Mexico elk application deadline approached last April, the wheels started turning in my head, and a plan was hatched.  I convinced my bride of 32 years that a perfect getaway for the two of us would be two weeks of camping in the mountains of New Mexico.  The fact that elk season would be open while we were there was purely coincidental.  ;)  

Actually, Irene is an veteran of a number of western camping trips with me.  We both really enjoy rustic mountain campsites, and with my promise that I would only hunt for a few hours a day, it was easy to sell her on the idea of combining a great camping trip with an elk hunt.  When the draw results came out, and my name was marked "Successful", the stage was set.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Different Kind of Elk Hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:  Good luck.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
:campfire:      :coffee:    

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
Whip - that is an awesome way to get it done - so when do we hear the story????  :coffee:
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
My tag was valid from September 1-15th.  On August 27th, the truck was packed and we hit the road headed west, planning to stay the entire season if need be.  

I live in the Midwest, and do love the beauty we enjoy here, but there is something about the west that tugs at my inner soul.  From the grasslands and sage covered prairies, to the aspen and conifer mountains, and the shear ruggedness of the rocky crags of the alpine, I find myself drawn west any chance I can get.

As we rolled through the open Colorado plains, the prairies were ablaze in glory.

After a good nights rest in a motel, we headed for the New Mexico mountains to choose our home for the next 18 days.  Camp was set, and we spent the next few days just enjoying the area and getting acclimated to the higher elevation.

Fortunately for me, Irene is a voracious reader, and enjoys nothing better than a good book.  My only concern was making sure she had plenty of material.

We enjoy campfire cuisine, and a fire at night.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
Finally, September 1st, and opening day had arrived.  My initial scouting told me there were elk to be found close to camp, so the first morning I just walked out into the "backyard".  

I hadn't even gone a quarter mile when I looked ahead and saw a bull and his group of cows sky lighted ahead of me no more than eighty yards away.  

They hadn't seen me, but after getting set up and in position, my plaintive calls brought no more than curious glances over their shoulders as they filtered through the timber and disappeared.  But what a great way to start the hunt!

The truck is still full of gear from the trip (we just arrived back home late last night)  Chores are calling, so I'll pick this up later.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
Great start Joe!!  Cant wait to hear more of this story!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
Hey Whip, really looking forward to hearing the rest of your story!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
You think he and his bride could stop in on the way back   ;)  
Welcome back Joe & Irene   :wavey:

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
can't wait to hear!
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Let's go Whip, you have my ear!
Conny

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Great story and pics.Waiting for more.  Leland

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
The next morning I went down the road a mile or so to a nice little valley that would allow me to have the wind in my favor.  I wasn't quite sure, but thought I heard a bull chuckle on the way in.  

As daylight broke I set up in a spot that gave me good visibility and put up a Montana decoy before making a few soft calls.  It wasn't long before the sound of a heavy animal breaking branches drew my attention uphill and I spotted a cow and her calf working their way down toward me.  

Easing to my knees, I prepared for the shot that seemed sure to come.  But a glance back behind me confirmed that she was not alone.  More elk were following, and from the course they were on seemed like they might offer an even better opportunity.  Best of all, I caught a glimce of antlers above one of the animals.  

It was early in the hunt.  I decided to wait for what looked like a good chance at a bull and pass on the cow.  I eased back down to a squat to wait.  But that move cost me big time.  The lead cow caught the movement and her barks and sharp calls directed the rest of the herd safely around the strange moving bush.  

Each sunrise carried a fresh promise of what might come with the light.

Even though I should know it's there, the decoy occasionally can make my stomach flutter when I look behing me.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
As I eased along the upper part of a steep slope, this rub caught my eye.  The bulls had been taking out their frustrations all alone this ridge, and I'd sure like to meet up with the guy that had it in for this poor pine.  

I'm a big guy at 6'3", and this tree was rubbed higher than I could reach.

Did anyone notice anything extra in the last picture?  Look close right past the silencer on my string.  

I didn't see it either until after I took the picture and walked up to grab my bow, but I couldn't have set up the picture better if I tried.  

This is what lay about 20 yards beyond the rub.  

What a treasure!  I love shed antlers of any kind, and consider them gifts from the forest.  This is probably the best I have ever found anywhere.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Having the full season to hunt was a luxury I was really enjoying.  Knowing that Irene would soon tire of camping if she were left alone all day, I stuck with my promise to only hunt for a few hours each morning.  

It seemed the elk had the same idea.  I was seeing elk nearly every day, but most all were within the first two hours of daylight.  

The rest of our days were spent playing cards, reading books, cooking, napping, and just enjoying life in the mountains.  Time didn't matter - we had plenty, and lazed away the afternoons.  The mountains have a lot more to offer than just elk hunting.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
Whip, do you realize how lucky you are to have a wife that will go to the mountians and campout for two weeks? Mine complains about being cold and miserable the first night! I love her though and couldn't do without her, just wish she liked to camp more!  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Too cool! Great shed find and surly mojo for this fall.

You are a lucky dog to have such a sweet wife who would spend the time afield with you.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
Oh, I do know that Ben, and believe me, I make sure she knows how much I appreciate it.  We have done a number of western camping trips before, and we both thoroughly enjoy each one.  But this was the first time Irene has accompanied me on an actual hunt, and I am pretty certain it won't be the last.  She had a great time too!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
Outstanding start Joe. Looking forward to the rest of your adventure. Irene looks quite at home in your mountain camp.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Great story so far. Looking forward to the rest!  :campfire:    :coffee:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©