INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: A Different Kind of Elk Hunt  (Read 12431 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Different Kind of Elk Hunt
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
:campfire:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
Well done bro!  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
The alarm went off at 4:30 the next morning.  The next thing I heard was rain and wind.  As Charlie would say, "Oh Poop!"

As I lay in bed waiting for the coffee to brew Irene played the temptress - "You could just stay in bed, it sounds nasty out there"  

But the hunt was winding down, and time was no longer my ally.  And sometimes rain and colder temperatures are exactly what it takes to get the elk in the mood.  I needed to go.

The new area I wanted to try was a few miles up the road to a long ridge that would allow me to get back a good distance from the road.  I hoped to get back in where I didn't think many hunters had been.  At least I hadn't seen vehicles parked anywhere near this area for at least the past week.

At least the soft rain helped make walking in a fairly quiet process, even in the dark.  The wind had let up.  Daybreak came grudgingly, but by the time it lightened enough to see, the rain dissapated as well.  This might be good after all!

"What are all those white rocks on that ridge below me?"  Those aren't rocks!  Elk!  A herd of 12 was buzily feeding, including a very nice 6x6 and a smaller 5x5 bull.

As I watched, the bigger bull bugled, and was answered by at least two others down below.  Other bugles drifted up and down the valley and from over the top of the ridge.  This was what I had been dreaming of for the past 11 1/2 months!  

Using the cover of the aspen grove between us I was able to work into a position about 200 yards ahead of the feeding herd.  I let out a few cow calls just to let them know it was safe to head this way.

My calling got their attention all right.  One of the cows stared my way, then turned and led the big boy in the opposite direction.  Within a couple of minutes the rest of the herd turned and followed.

"What did I say?"  I've called in elk before, I didn't think my calling was all that atrocious.  Maybe she just didn't want any more girlfriends in her clique.

I didn't end up getting close that morning, but things had certainly changed.  Elk were bugling everywhere.  I was on a ridge that gave me long views and altogether must have seen at least 50 different elk.  

This was going to get interesting during the last couple of days of my trip!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
What a cliff hanger!!!!!!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
Whip, that is some great stuff right there.  More please!!
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:

I now have a new desktop background.

Great pics and story
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
What a great vacation! Both of you are lucky to have the other. I am on the edge of my seat here, and waiting for more of your excellent writing.

Wow!
Killdeer  :)    :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
Awesome Whip!!! Keep it comin!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
OK Joe, you've got my attention....now on with the story and great pics so far.  :thumbsup:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
There wasn't any decision on where to hunt the next morning.  After all I had seen and heard the day before it was back to yesterday's ridge top.  I arrived where I needed to be just as dawn crept up behind me.  

A couple of cows fed 100 yards ahead of me, but with nothing but short grass between us I just let them fed out of sight.  

It wasn't long before two bulls started arguing out at the end of the ridge, bugling back and forth to each other - each warning the other to keep his distance.  I ignored the threats and headed that way.

I worked my way to a spot between the two very vocal bulls.  Although the one on my right sounded a little more aggressive, the wind was more in my favor for one on the left.  

I had yet to see either of them, but in my mind's eye they were both heavy horned masters guarding their harems.  I worked my way carefully downhill to the left.

Between the edge of the aspens that hid my approach and a sharp drop off that the bugles seemed to be coming from lay a large open meadow with scattered brush.  As long as he stayed put I should be able to easily make my way across the opening and end up right on top of him.

The sun had just broken over the mountain behind me as I started across.  Eighty yards from the treeline I glanced up only to see a wide racked bull starring my way from the edge of the trees.  No!  

I was caught flat footed with nowhere to go.  As I stood and watched he turned his head and looked to his right.  Maybe he hadn't seen me after all!  

When he raised his head and let loose with an long drawn out scream, I knew I was safe for now.  I think he had come to the edge of the timber just to check and make sure the other bull wasn't coming his way.  The sunlight must have been blinded him, and he never saw me.

I eased down behind a bush as the bull stepped into the open and started to feed.  While he was occupied I took the time to clip my decoy to a bush and crawled forward 20 yards to another batch of cover.  So far, so good!

The bull fed somewhat in my direction, and I decided to just do nothing and see what might happen.  After yesterday's results with my calling efforts I wasn't all that confident of making a sound.

He got within probably fifty yards before turning and facing away from me as he continued to fed.  Should I move forward to the next batch of cover?

No, let's see what he does.  If he goes any further I'll try a soft call to get his attention and hope he sees the decoy.  He cooperated and turned back towards me for awhile.

Once again, he decided he liked the taste of something behind him, and turned away.  This time I will make the move forward to the next group of brush.  

I was halfway there when I looked to my right to see a spike bull prancing away across the meadow.  NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like that, the magic of the moment was over.  The bull had melted back into the timber and I didn't see him again.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
Great tale so far Joe!!  Man I felt like I was right next to you and felt my heart drop as you told of the spike!!!  Man I cant wait for the next installment!!   :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
Keep it coming Joe...this is awesome!!

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
On that last picture of the Elk how far were you? It looked like you could have made a shot.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Nah, just the power of zoom.  At that point he was 55 yards away.  (I know - I paced it off later  "[dntthnk]"  )
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
Dang, just out of range!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
My tag was valid through Monday the 15th, but we really needed to be home no later than Wednesday morning.  The original plan was to hunt the last morning and then pack up and hit the road, but what if I got lucky at the last minute?  Dealing with a downed elk would certainly delay our departure plans, so reality set in and we decided to make Sunday the last day.

Given that we were going to leave early, I decided to hunt Saturday evening as well.  I hadn't been hunting much in the evenings other than a couple of walks behind camp just to listen.

I had been having good luck in the new location, so went back to see what might be moving before sundown.  I was somewhat disappointed to see nothing at all.  No animals.  No bugling.  Nothing.  It was great to be there none the less, as I had a front row seat to the greatest show on earth.  The sunset was spectacular, and I was just enjoying my good fortune to even be in this wonderful place.  I couldn't have been happier or felt more fulfilled.

Finally, 15 minutes before shooting light completely disappeared, I heard a bugle back on the point of the close encounter with the bull that morning.  It would take a little time to get there, but I went as quickly as I could.  I bumped into a spike and a cow as I got into position, but the bull continued talking.

Darkness had other plans that couldn't wait, and I snuck back out listening as the bull continued to insult me.

Tomorrow morning would be the end of a great trip.  I always read stories about people who fill up at the last minute, but that has never seemed to be the case for me.  

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
Man this is great stuff! Thanks Joe!   :campfire:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
Great story Joe , thanks for sharing.
It sure is great to share a hunt with a wife that enjoys being there , I too am blessed in that way.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
The last morning was clear, calm, and cool.  I was on the end of the ridge well before daylight, and as it got light enough to see I eased down to take a look into a bowl that I had seen elk in previously.  

Eight elk promptly went trotting across the hillside below me, including one very nice looking bull.  They hadn't made a sound to alert me to their presence, and I had probably just blown the best opportunity I would have that morning.

Easing further along the ridge I heard a bugle quite a distance to my right.  But what the heck, it's the last day, and I had probably already ruined where I really had hoped to hunt.  Off I went.

The brighter the day became, the more the bull seemed to bugle.  The only problem was that each lusty screem seemed to be further and further away.  I don't care how hard I try, I just can't keep up with an elk on the move, and it soon became apparent that I wasn't going to catch this guy.

A flicker of movement on the hillside above me caught my attention.  Elk!  A lone cow was feeding, and best of all was pointed in my direction.  

The next move was hers, and she graciously fed behind a large pine.  That gave me the opportunity to move to a better spot and hunker down behind a bush.  I had good cover, yet could still see well to the front and both sides.  

The cow continued feeding my way, and as she got nearer stopped feeding entirely and just walked down hill toward me.  It was obviously time for her bed, and she moved quickly toward the cover of the timber.  This could work!

She took the main trail from left to right in front of me and passed at 10 yards.  I drew partially, but the shot wasn't right, and she was quickly through the opening.  

On the other side of a tree she turned down hill again.  As she entered another shooting lane at fifteen yards I quickly hit anchor and my arrow magically appeared on her side.  

She crashed off below me, I gave a quick cow call and she stopped just behind another tree.  After a short pause, she stumbled and fell, regained her feet, then stumbled again before going down for good.  

I don't care how many times I see it, the power and effectiveness of a well placed broadhead never ceases to amaze me.

I said a prayer of thanks for the last minute success, and headed down the hill.

The Grizzly 190 had done one heck of a job.  For whatever reason, it hadn't passed completely through, but instead lodged just under the skin on the far side.  This is the shoulder opposite of the one I shot.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
Wow!!!!!! What a great ending to an even greater trip!!!!

Great shooting, great patience, Hats off to you!!!

Congrats!!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©