INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: First hunt with Ray Hammond  (Read 5741 times)

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First hunt with Ray Hammond
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
Great stuff.  :campfire:    :coffee:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Very cool. Ray, it still looks pretty dry down there...
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
yep. Things are getting just enough water to not dry up..but its pretty dry. There is a good bit more than there was midsummer, though.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
Hey Biggie, it wasn't just one miss. I missed 2 times, concentrating too hard on that spot over there back! See you in a couple weeks.
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
Way to go with that armadillo Wyatt. Can't wait to hear the rest.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
I'm sorry it has taken so long. I had to work today.

Wyatt and I saw so many hogs. The first day Ray and I tried to double team a bruiser, but he gave us the slip. We got a good look at him and he must surely weigh at least 350 lbs. Busted us from a small Palmetto patch. He stopped long enought to blow at us. I figure it must be cussing in pig language.

We did indeed get several shots among the group which worked out to be lots of opportunities to laugh at each other. And we did. I had one nice hog come out of the tall grass 10 yards from me and me with bow up and thinking this is going to be so easy. It was'nt. He busted me right as I released and I did'nt touch him. In fact on that afternoon I missed two, both very nice hogs.

Wyatt got to hunt with a Ray some, Mike some, and me. Saturday afternoon we saw some hogs go into a ditch and knew they were feeding or looking for something to eat. We decided to try a sneak. The wind was good so Squirrel bait, Wyatt, and me started slippin up while Ray watched. We could not tell how many hogs were there, we could just see their backs and the grass was high. We evidently got too close and a couple jumped up on the bank and took off. We knew there were more in the ditch, but could not tell how many and if they ran like the others we'd not get the shot we wanted.

Another one jumped and ran. We kept sneakin and had arrows nocked and ready. I believe, if a bull frog had jump up we'd have shot it. We were that tense. About that time another pig jumped up on the bank and stopped. He got hit three times. Can you believe that?!

He still ran and we decided to give it some time. My arrow was a pass through, but Mike and Wyatt could not find their arrows. It was getting dark so we had a great supper and would check on it in the morning.

Mike decide to go to the blood trail while Wyatt and I went on a long hunt back in the swamp. We stayed so busy watching deer, hogs, and Racoons, etc that we did'nt have time to worry much about what Mike found. But Ray picked us up and we got back to camp mid morning to find that Mike was already there.

He found the pig alright and found Wyatt's arrow stuck up the hogs rear end for a Texas Heart Shot. It turns out that his was the only shot that put the hog down quick. He was one excited kid.

You would not believe the way this has changed Wyatt's attitude. He's been absolutely giddy even teased me about my shootin on the trip home. I do believe as proud as I was, Ray and Mike were just as proud for Wyatt.

Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
One more group shot. Mike (Squirrel Bait) Mitchum, Ray Hammond, Wyatt, and Myself. The pig weighed about 70lbs live not including arrows.

ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
Way to go Wyatt!!!!!!!! Congrats on a great harvest.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline hit or miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
Great story!

That sunrise picture would make a great magazine cover.  One of the top 10 pics I have seen.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
AH the coveted Texas Heart shot, only a few can say they ever pulled that one off.  Great story thanks for sharing and congrats to Wyatt.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Cool, well done and I like his name too.

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
Awesome story! Congratulations Wyatt!!

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
Hey, Wyatt here

Yeah when I found out that I got the pig I was so surprised.  I thought that Mike or Lin had got it or that nobody did.  I got a big hug from the guys and a look from Lin that made me very happy.  And I want to give a big thanks to Ray for letting us come, and to to Mike for showing me so many things. And also my Mom cooked some of the pig that I killed and it was really good!

Wyatt  :bigsmyl:
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
What a great hunt!   :thumbsup:   And an even better quote, "Weighed about 70lbs...not including arrows!"  Priceless.  :clapper:

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
I just noticed the last post was from the killer himself!  Congrats, Wyatt!  I'm zero for 50 on stalking since Feb of LAST year on piggies - I must smell too bad...or shoot too bad.  You are putting a lot of us to shame.  Well Done, Young Man!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
and the worst of it was that I watched all three of em shoot, and laughed my fool head off saying I was " In the Company of BADD Archers" because it looked to me like all of them missed..and here they ALL hit the same pig!!!!! Now how's that for some sorry eyeballs!!

It would have never happened with a wheel bow...too fast and furious!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
We sure had a blast with these two fellas. They appreciated everything and were so easy to please, and helped out with camp chores and the like.

Lin is a sneaky fella too...the man knows how to put a sneak on a pig. Oh, and by the way, he can build a knife too.

I talked his head off the whole time getting all the knowledge I could from him..he was very patient with me. Thanks Lin. Mike and I had a great time with you Wyatt "hog and dilla killa"!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
:clapper:     :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Blackhat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  A one in a thousand shot! good job.  :D
"When Bows shoot faster than 300 fps it ain't called Bowhunting no more!"

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
Congrats Wyatt!!! Great shot!  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©