INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Idaho '08. . .a wingnut & jason adventure  (Read 5809 times)

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Idaho '08. . .a wingnut & jason adventure
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Great story, I feel like I'm almost there. I'm curious, what bows are you guys shooting?

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
2 fletch,

We built matching Orion recurves, 58" 50#.  Shooting Vapor carbonwood, with 60 gr inserts, 100 gr adapters and WW BH.  Three 4.5" custom cut feathers top the deal.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
This story is going to be good!!!  Mike, how would you compare this year's crop of grouse to last year's, or is it too soon in the story to tell?

John

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
Great read so far guys, looking for more  :thumbsup:

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
The alarm went off early so we could make the loop and go up the ridge from the bottom.  The tracks we saw yesterday put the elk lower on the mountain or off the ridge and gone elsewhere.  Well we will soon find out.  A quick cup of coffe and a granola bar and we are off.  As we headed down the road in the truck, there was a new excitement in our voices.  I think both of us thought this would be the day.

We gathered our packs and stuff after parking and headed up a trail.  After 500 yds our so we slipped up to the top of the ridge.  Our first set was just after we ran into fresh track.  Going up the ridge this time.. . Good.

Not a sound though.  After 15 minutes, we eased along the tracks.  Watching, listening and smelling the wind.  Another 100 yds and a faint wiff of elk.  We stop and watch. . .. nothing.  50 yards slowly, staying in cover, senses on high alert.  In this mode, you can hear a chipmuck pass gas at 200 yds and it sounds like thunder.  Then, ahead, a tan ghost moving through the trees about 60 yds out. ELK!!!

We ease into a setup with me calling and Jason 15 yds down wind.

I calf called once and the woods came alive.  Elk were talking back in front to the left and right and too our right behind a screen of brush.  The ones to the right, were close, real close.

Every time I calf called everybody answered.  The little lost calf that has served me so well over the years is going to pay off again.  Then mixed into the cow and calf calls, I hear a tending grunt by a bull.  Dang my heart is racing and we hear the heavy footfalls of an elk coming from up the hill.  The elk to our right are concerning as the thermal running down the ridge will swirl to spill over the sides as soon as the sun arrives.  And that is only a couple minutes from now.

One more calf call, five or six elk answer and one is moving our way.  Then a puff of air on my neck and the game is over.  They slip quietly over the side and are gone.  Jason and I are looking at each other going "what happened?".  But that's hunting in the mountains.  You can do it right and hunters luck doesn't hold.  A lot of ifs in this one.  If only we had seen an elk before we got that close, we could have circled and been downwind of the whole herd.  Yep a lot of ifs. . .dang that was close.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
I bet Brent could have made it if he hadnt gone and moved so dang far away.  Some people are so selfish...with no concern as to how there life decisions are going to effect the rest of us.   :bigsmyl:    :wavey:

Lookin forward to the rest Mike/Jason.

P.S. I miss-im.

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Mr. Wingnut Sir, could you please drop everything you are doing and finish the story as soon as possible.  I have chewed all my fingernails off with anticipation and I am starting to chew on my dog's nails.  :knothead:

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
and, and ,and what happened next grandpa, Please tell the rest of the story!

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
Come on Mike,
The kid is watching Sponge Bob... I only have one TV...MORE!
  :)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
Well can't stop working but the story will push on.

That evening we decided to go up on top again and back into a hidden basin, we saw while glassing.

You can just make out the head of it on the right of the pic

We came in from the ridge where the pic was taken and tried to find a spot to glass from.  As we worked the edge, dropping into the deadfall filled canyon and moving towards the top, we began seeing lots of elk sign.  They were there all right, now just to find them and not bump them before we can get it going.

As we hit the top and things started getting interesting, over the hill comes a thunderhead.  We quickly got the raingear out and got suited up before the worst hit.  It was soon raining in buckets.  Not bad for hunting but I hate shooting an animal in the rain and having the blood go away so fast.  We liked what we had seen, so we backed out and looked for deer and blue grouse on the way back out.  It was 2 miles to the truck so we had a nice easy walk.

Got back to camp and started the fire.  It was 42 and raining outside and stayed that way for the next 24 hours.  We spent some time out and about but generally scouted roads for tracks and looked for grouse.   Made it back to the cell zone to make some calls and ran to town to do laundry.

When the storm cleared the river had come up a foot and the woods were now quiet.

The next morning we headed back to Rusty's ridge before daylight.  We made it almost to the top of the ridge just short of where the elk were a couple days before when we heard hounds on the track and closing.  Soon the went by in a blur 100 yds uphill from us and went right up the ridge.  We bailed out and headed back to the hidden basin.  Coming in from the bottom this time to work the wind.  We started up the 2 mile long draw and made it half way before we hit elk sign.  We setup and started with calf calls.  Almost directly after the first call, I hear something coming from the creek bottom 50 yds below. . .fast.  I shifted to point down instead of up and readied for the shot.  This was a big animal and it was making a bunch of noise coming through the brush.  Elk?  I don't know.

At 20 yds there was an openning for a shot, if only he would keep coming.  The cracking and busting kept coming at a good pace, until he stopped and growled loudly short of the openning.  The wind got us again, only this time we were kinda glad it did.  If it was the bear we'd seen the scat from on top.  .well we didn't want him that close.

Up we went, until we were just short of the head.  We decided it was time to get more aggressive.  An elk hissy fit was in the making.

We try to sound like a bull with a cow in heat that won't stand.  Well there are bugles, cow calls, crashing, breaking of branches, running around.  You get the picture.

It worked!!  A bull bugled from up the ridge and I answered defiently.  He called again and was moving up.  We were chasing again.  This time playing a cow and calf that left the other bull and was looking to hookup with the new guy.

The race to the top was won by the bull. . of course and the tracks showed 8-10 animals.  No wonder he was making tracks.  We followed til they dropped into a big ravine that is bedding area.  We don't like pushing elk in bedding this early in the hunt.  They are too hard to find after you bust them out.

We headed back up the ridge to intercept a 4 wheel track and headed back towards camp.

Dang we had done about 5 miles and 1500 ft this morning.  Here are some pics from the top.

Mike Westvang

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
Thanks Mike, sure enjoying your tellin.  :campfire:

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
Keep it coming, excellent so far to say the least!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
Great story Mike.  I can't wait for more.

Dennis

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Hurry back, I just made another pot of coffee!!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
We were right back up in the basin as the sun started to fall in the sky that night.  Other then one cow that crossed in front of us at 60 yds and a couple of blues to keep our interest.  It was silent.  We'd guessed wrong on the herd and needed to do some casting to find them or others.  

We went back to the day one spot in the bottoms in the morning to find a lone whitetail spike buck as we crested the ridge nearly 4 hours later.  Still no fresh sign down there.

The ridge was just as barren and the little box canyon in the back was empty also.  We circled the top and headed back towards the river.  As we got 1/2 way down, I spied a cow and calf on the otherside headed towards the river also.  We dropped almost to the bottom, found a fairly open shooting lane and calf called.  Both answered and we could here them coming about 40 yds out.  The brush was thick so it was easy to follow there progress and the calf now answered my calf every call.  Could it be this easy?  Less then 100 yds below the road.

Nope as the started to get into sight, the wind did it again.  DANG IT ANYWAY!!!

We laughed about it on the way back to camp down the road.

Breadkfast was good with some hot coffee to wash it down.  Or temps are now 60 for high and 20s for lows.  Why are the elk still quiet?

A nap and some shooting in camp and we were ready to head out again.

We decided to take the evening off from elk and try for deer again over in the breaks.

Here is a double rainbow we saw on the way over:

Mike Westvang

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
We decided to use the same technique.  Drive to the point of the ridge, get out and glass the canyon and draw for deer.  Move around the other side and repeat as necessary.

On the second glassing point we see deer.  Five that we can see and Jason was off again on the stalk.  He had about 400 yds to cover before he would be in them but the cover was good so he made real good time.  I kept the deer in sight so I could signal him when he got there.

Finally I have him and the deer in the binos as he makes the final approach.  The deer I see are above him with the wind blowing from them to him.  They are alert but are eating too.  As he get there I realize the lip of the hill is block the shot.  He will have to go up to see the deer and as soon as he did. .they headed up.  

I see his focus change to below and see a young buck come up into view just beyond him.  Jason keeps look down, must be more coming.  He creeps slowly into the brush and I think I hear an arrow hit something. . .THUD.  But heck I'm nearly a quarter of a mile away.  Then I see a doe come up from the brush and stop on the hill.  This time I see him draw and release.  The doe bolts up hill and joins it's buddys.

Dang branch was all he could say when he got back.

We kept at the glass and stalk mode with us trading off til dark.  In all we saw 14 deer with 3 bucks in the groups.  I never got close enough for a shot, but had a ball trying.

In the morning we went back to try them again.  With only a couple of days left we figured a deer or two would be good in the cooler.

On the way out in the dark, we passed a water hole and had elk running everywhere in the headlights.  Hmmm. . been meaning to check that waterhole.

We only saw 2 deer in the breaks and they were migrating at full speed.

We stopped at the water on the way back to find it tore up with elk and deer sign.  A quick survey showed a good spot for a brush blind and a down tree to provide the parts.  An hour later we had a really good blind about 15 yds across wind from the water.  Forgot to take a pic.

That evening Jason decided to put his gillie on and sit the blind.  I found another area on the map that I wanted to look at including two water holes.  We said out "good lucks" and headed out.

I circumnavigated the top of the mountain that feed the breaks and only saw 3 muledeer and no elk.  Jason sat the blind til after dark and had a bird land on his head but no game.

Here's a pic form where I was hunting:

Mike Westvang

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
We gave Rusty's ridge another look in the am and found that the elk had moved on.  On the way back we found our little buddy walking down the road.  You could almost here him whistling.  I pulled up about 10 ft behind and gunned the engine.  I ran off the road in up a tree.

When we got back to camp to start packing; we found that he'd been there too.

After we packed the gear and loaded up for home; we took the remaining chow out of the cooler and packages.  I put it about 20 yds above camp where we'd seen him the first time.  I hope he found it and had a good meal.  He was a wild bear but at times you just wanted to scratch his head and talk with him.

We made it into Wyoming that night and home at midnight the next.

No elk, No deer, only one grouse and we had the time of our lives.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
Great story and pic's Mike. Glad you and Jason had good time hunting.

Chris

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
Great story Mike. Thanks for sharing all the fun and excitement here with us.
  :thumbsup:

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
John,

the bird population was a bit higher then last year with lots of young birds.  They were still the spookiest grouse I've ever encountered.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©