INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Idaho '08. . .a wingnut & jason adventure  (Read 5807 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Idaho '08. . .a wingnut & jason adventure
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
Looks like a wonderful trip.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
Time spent in the mountains with father and son, chasing deer and elk, close encounters and shot opportunities.  That's a successful hunt!  :thumbsup:  
Thanks for sharing the story  :clapper:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Montyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
Great story.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Well at least the Bear got fed  :rolleyes:    :biglaugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
Good pictures, pretty place, nice looking camp and great weather, hard to beat that.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
Mike,

I know how you feel exactly.  Just got home from Idaho two weeks ago.  You can't fully explain to someone else how it could be a great time when you come home empty handed. But it looks like you guys had a great time. Where is the closest town to where you were hunting if you don't mind me asking?

Wonderful pictures too.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
Chris,

Council, Idaho is the closest town.  We are probably going to change areas next year and go back to where we used to hunt.  The fires 4 and 2 years ago should be offering great feed next year.  Gotta do my homework with the wildlife folks after the season on game counts and winter kills.  But right now I think we will be back in the McCall unit next time around.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for sharing, what a great time you both had!

RayMO

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
Great story, Mike.  Thanks!
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  We sure missed Rusty in camp this year.  Maybe we can get him back to chase the deer and elk and the willey grouse next year.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Mike. I enjoyed that.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Mike.  Don't know when the last time was that you hunted around McCall, but I hunted about 30 miles north of there 4-5 years ago.  Absolutely overrun with hunters, 4-wheelers and trail bikes.  I had hunted that area a few times  before about 15 years ago.  Then, on a 25 mile stretch of road between Warren and north of Bergdorf, there were three camps, other than our own.  The last time I went, there were 43.  That's not a guess, that's an actual count, and I think I missed a few.  For what it's worth.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2008, 03:18:00 AM »
Great story and pics, thanks for sharing!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2008, 07:49:00 AM »
Actually, we hunted the McCall unit for years up til last year when the big fires forced us to change.  The unit we hunted last year and this has about the same elk numbers but deer and grouse are not even close.  And the bear are not included on the nonres deer tag in the one we hunted this year.

All and all we think the quality of the hunt and the additional game oppurtunities will move us back to the old area.

The wolves are our main concern.  The McCall unit is over run.

Also thinking about checking out Colorado.  Sure is a lot closer to home.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline LeeNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
Mike, Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Lee

Offline Blasterjdh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
Great story and photo's -- thanks for sharing.... JDH
EOD Motto: Initial Success or Total Failure

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
I live in Idaho; and the story is not a surprise in many ways. I love the place so much I live here.

But the ATV and motorcycle hunters in combination with the wolves are ruining the hunting here.

The elk I saw this year were down low 3700 feet; and on the river beds at night; and in the day up higher.

I did have shots; and did get a nice cow elk in the middle of September- within a couple hundred yards of the Salmon river. I saw an average of 7 or 8 deer a day; missed a trophy muley and a trophy whitetail. The wind is not your friend here; as it switches a lot; but the gravity swells don't help either ( thats why your buddy missed the deer).

Do not underestimate the power of atvs and motorcyles to move elk and deer out of an area. These elk are used to living on alert because of the wolves; and the sudden and fast noise and sight of an ATV or motorcycle puts them in flight; while they will feed in the open with the highway or road in sight with cars and trucks moving past. If a vehicle stops - they are off to the races.

Hunting up high; I found lots of wolf sign; and some torn apart elk. I did not find any sign that they had been bow shot; most of the bones were there - the back legs had the tendons torn.
 One was a nice 5x5 with a sticker on it; and I could tell from the place its legs were torn what killed it. most of it was there; albeit rotting.

In the summer and winter; the bulls group up; and stay up higher. I often will have every day from 300 to 500 elk in sight of my cabin. But big bulls are by habit staying up higher; and that makes them more susceptable to the wolfs.

If the wolves can corner one; or a herd of bulls; they are going to get wounded at a minimum. The wolves push them up gullies with deep snow and then the bulls are at their mercy.

When a herd finds a spot where they can see around them for a safe distance; they have better chance of surviving. But then again; when atvs and motorcycles come zooming up- they have to leave; and that tires them; and makes them susceptable to the wolves.

I saw good numbers of elk on the riverbed; because the elk can feed there; and then take off across the river or just stand in the river; and be safe from wolf attacks.

Then too; being close to roads is safer- because quite frankly the wolves know that there are people here- that know we will not be able to manage the wolf herds legally... for years and years to come.

I have friends that have flown airplanes to monitor the wolves; and they can cover 60 miles in a day. So; they have the capability of surprise. Elk that are considering themselves 'safe' can find themselves in danger real fast; and that means they are more alert than ever.

I saw many small herds of elk - like 5 to 10 in a herd; with no bulls. I saw herds of over 60 with spikes and 5 pointers-- but no big mature bulls.

I have a friend with a sheep tag; and he has been glassing his area all summer; and wolves? yep he sees them; and elk? very few; and lately none. And deer- very few. He is sneaking from one vantage point to another to use his spotting scope- and not disturbing the areas; waiting for a big ram to join the sheep he is watching.

The wolves kill sheep; but its a hard kill; as sheep have the advantage when it comes to being able to get to slides and steep country.

I drive the road where sheep are; and this year I even got a picture of a baby sheep nursing its mother - smack dab in the middle of the road. With tall steep hills the sheep can run up - they are commonly seen on or right next to the roads.

The good news - perhaps - that is hopefully - is the new travel plans that the forest service is coming out with that will restrict motorvehicle use to specific areas; and close roads. And it will be the job of the guy on the atv or motorcyle to know if the road is open- no longer will they be able to pull down 'road closed to motorized vehicles' signs and then go down them.

So- check for areas where atvs and motorcycles will be restricted - before coming out to hunt next year if your thinking of an Idaho hunt.

The stock market and the price of gas might keep the rifle hunter numbers down; and subsequently the numbers of atvs and motorcycles this month- we shall see. That will be good news for the deer and elk.

I am not against ATVs and Motorcycles - in their place... but not off road; or just to replace leg power. It is ruining the hunting here ( there are over 90,000 registered atvs here alone- not counting out of state atvs).

Iam glad you had a good hunt; and I am sorry that Colorado seems a better bet; but I think your right. Until we get things under control here; we are going downhill.

I am interested in how many elk will be here this winter where I have been seeing elk every year winter for the last 6 winters. That will be telling.

I still have great adventures here; and see elk and deer; and have a great time; and yet- its getting to where you don't now where you can sit down and absorb the beauty of this place without someone driving off roads and legal trails and interupting your connection with nature.

Let alone the wolves - and for those of you that support wolves not being controlled for whatever reason- I challenge you to watch the wolves pull the legs off a live coyote and listen to the coyotes screams and still support uncontrolled wolf populations. Or to see elk walking around with magpies pecking at the wounds left by wolves- which often take chomps out of the back legs and let the elk go.

Glad you enjoyed the hunt. Keep the pictures and memories; because its getting harder and harder to get them here.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
Oh goodness I missed the elk hunt this yr.  "Rusty's ridge" was pretty easy to get to the game trails and not a bad walk/climb from last yrs camp.  I knew that I was in some amount of trouble last yr.  Before I left for Idaho I got on beta blockers and ace inhibitors.  Had to take it very easy on the hikes.  When I got back I went to the cardilogist.  Had five heart by passes....hey it weren't my dang fault is was Mike's cooking.

glade ya guys made it back safe and sound.  can't wait till next yr......i'll be back

rusty

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
Thanks for taking us along....great pics and great memories.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
Well being that you are back healthy, you need to get your butt in gear and get ready for next year.

Got a great group going that you will fit right in with.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©