INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: My First Trad Buck....shoot, my first buck ever...  (Read 7039 times)

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
My First Trad Buck....shoot, my first buck ever...
« on: October 02, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
...Heck, my first deer ever, and I did it with Trad gear. Now for the story.

Yesterday i told my self i was going to pull a double shift in the woods, told the wife that i'll be home when i was successful. in the day i got into my natural blind and waited a Mama Doe came by right on time at 12:30 pm, she came as they all seem too....which is out of thin air, and to my off side( which is my left since i shoot lefty) anyway she appeared to my left about 30' away and then two little ones came and started feeding from her right there, it was an amazing experience to say the least. So since they were so little, i didnt take the shot (this has happened about three times, mama's with little ones) i went back later that evening and got in my blind at about 5:45pm, at 6:20pm a big Doe started to come up, so as is usual with me i started to breathe funny and get all excited telling myself "this is it, pick a spot" She's coming right where i want her up hill of me and up wind, i anticipated her walk and when her head went behind a tree i raised the bow...Too soon, she stopped right as her head cleared the tree and with her vitals completly covered stopped and looked very nervous, still she didnt see me, but since i have been holding the bow up for about 2 min, i start to very slightly shake(excitement) well of course she very quickly looked right at me, put her ears back and bolted. "Crap, that was awesome" but i messed it up. Let me stop and say that since this season started i have been busted 8 times, by movement or wind, each time i went home and thought long and hard on my mistakes. Today i was deteremined not to repeat them. After the Doe busted me, i shifted my position to another blind farther up the hill, while i was still contemplating how i was going to sit( the wind doesnt usually blow in this direction) i caught movement to my right 6:48pm......."HOLY CRAP IT"S A BUCK"   :scared:    i said to my self, now i was all week knee'd and breathing funny, he came in with some authority which was very different from the Doe. I realized he was walking on my tracks and smelling them, i had just re-applied some deer dander to my feet and clothes and he was on my trail. Thank God i had not come into this blind directly, instead i did the logical thing and ran up hill, then cross wise back and forth and then up. So he's coming up on this trail, looking for another deer or something and then stops and looks right in my direction for about 1 min, so i close my eyes and stop breathing willing him not to see me. He freaked and ran about 20' stopped and then acted like nothing happened, still coming to within my range on my right. I raised my bow and anticipated aliitle too soon Again!!!and came to full draw Too Soon!!. I was holding at full draw for about 15 sec thinking "back tension" and shaking like a leaf( or so it felt) telling myself over and over "Pick a spot" he stepped into a perfect broadside shot at about 15-18 yards and i released. I was uphill and i could have swore i glanced off the top of his back, it happened so fast. after collapsing and thinking "holy cow what a rush" i went and checked my arrow, it was sprayed with blood and fur, "huh" i thought i had missed, but instead had a complete pass though and double lunged him. After waiting about 40 min, i set to tracking in the dark, there was barely any blood, pin prick here, pin prick there after an unbelievable 1.5 hours and 50 yards later i almost stepped on him.....i had done it. He Dressed out at 47 lbs of meat, and i still dont know how to figure how many points he has, it looks like 5 with two brow tines or 7 total. Thanks to all of you who have answered all my questions and given advices. Or just told stories of your own, i dont come from a hunting family so everything i learned was trial and error. Thanks again to all and but is still more season left. Oh does anyone know how to clean and bleach a skull??   :knothead:  

Lonewolf Kayapo recurve, 45#@29. CE 150 with 145grn eclipse BH and 30 grn adapter.

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My First Trad Buck....shoot, my first buck ever...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
Congrats!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS PAUL!

Terrific job on your hunts, and a great story as well.  Like they say, "You'll never forget your first!!"

You'll never have to wonder whether you, or your equipment, if capable of killing a deer.  The proof is in the freezer!  Well done!

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Paul:
Congrats on your #1. Hope you take many more. You should find a how to section on doing a European mount on this site. Run a search. By the way I could not help but notice that your shooting a recurve made by John Maus(Lone Wolf Custom Bows) out of Glennie, Mich. John makes a superb bow. I've shot his Desert Storm longbow but not his recurves. Looks like yours has plenty of Johns' Mojo in it. Keep'um sharp.

:thumbsup:

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
You will never forget your first.Enjoy and congrats.Kip

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
Right on Paul   :thumbsup:

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Ya, looks like 7 points.  Doesn't matter though!  I killed a spike my first bow buck.  Nice going!!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
the first one is always the best! are you getting him mounted? my first one isn't the biggest, but nice. it was expensive but everytime i sit and stare at him on the wall, i get the rush all over again. hey congrats!!!
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
Very nice for a first! Congrats!!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
:clapper:  

Nothing more exciting... Great Job, congratulations

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
Thats awesome! I see your a fellow ASAT user too. Sneaky stuff.  ;)
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
WTG!  :thumbsup:
Steve.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
Congrats   :thumbsup:

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
Congrats.  :thumbsup:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline swampjoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Cool story, congrats to you!

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
Great story and deer. Congrats!
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline Red_Devil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
to clean the skull skin it and detach the lower jaw and then boil it outside in a kettle for 8ish hours or until all the brains and stuff come out. to bleach, soak raga or thick paper towels in hydrogen peroxide and cover the head, not the antler, b/c if the H2O2 touches the antlers it will turn them white. congrats on the buck.
-Dave Moldenhauer-
Menomonee Falls, WI

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
awesome congrats mate!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »
Congrats!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Great story!  
For someone who didn't grow up in a hunting family, it sounds like you're learning quickly, and doing what you should do with mistakes-- learning from them.  
I agree with everyone, there is nothing like your first.  Enjoy the moment for all it's worth!  Hope there are many more to come.

Personally, I like the natural-look of the skull.  I don't bleach it.  I simply boil and scrape, boil and scrape...  I will also cut the top of the skull off to make it proportional with the antlers.  Ex: spike = top of skull cap   114" 7 pt. = cut from back to front just below the eye sockets, no teeth...
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©