INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Finally a story to tell!! (pics)  (Read 3495 times)

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Finally a story to tell!! (pics)
« on: October 03, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
Well after 17 months of shooting a recurve it finally came together on a big game animal.  Last year was my first year hunting with a recurve and lets just say I felt like a rookie in the woods.  But after a ton practice, 3-D shoots, and some reading i have finally put it all together.  Last season I could shoot well in practice and 3-d's using a gap method but man that did not translate in the field, this year I started using Fergusons method and that seems to work better for me.  First i'll introduce the bow a 53# at 25" Stiker recurve by Mr. Rick Ellis.     Here she is at practice. Opening day here is Oct.1 but because of a south wind and showers decide to wait a day to get started.  well Oct. 2 brought a west wind and clear skies. So up into the trees we go this area is a place we refer to as the hole.  Here is a pic of my bows first day in the field, She looks like a natural hangin there. The action started at about 6:40 AM with a doe and two young ones munching on acorns.  The big Doe fed down my way and was inside of 15yds for several minutes before finally offering a 12yd shot I was all to eager to try my luck. Pick a spot, hit your anchor, and follow through and good things should happen So  I finally got on the board.  The rest of the morning was beautiful, while staying put on stand to see what else would materialize a big 8  probably around 120 came with in 10 yds but never offered a shot. I also had a Sharp shinned hawk take a swoop at my hat, that was pretty cool. Story comes full circle with this pic at home with my helpers they love chili and burgers! Well guys thanks for reading and to all the new guys (I still consider myself one) keep at it.  It will  come together soon.  Thanks Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally a story to tell!! (pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
Way cool!! Especially the 'helpers'!

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
Very nice, congrats!!!
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline digicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
Cool.  :jumper:

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
Fantastic! Congrats bud! Well done!  ;)   :thumbsup:   :clapper:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
Well done. Congrats on the fine doe and "cool" helpers.  :thumbsup:
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
Terrific stuff, Joe! Many happy returns of the day to you!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
Fine post!  Congrats.

ch

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
Congrats   :thumbsup:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Stykbow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
Congrats on the doe. You have some cute girls, way to go in getting them involved.
Bob Lee Sig. Recurve 15" Riser 56@28"
Quinn Stallion Recurve 60@28"
Roland Jenkins Recurve 54@28"

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Helpers are awesome. Congrats of a fine doe.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
Good job! Hap

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
First off awesome…nice shot also, gives me some hope.  This traditional experience has been a long journey.

I’m in the same boat as you…after 22 years of shooting a compound I started shooting traditional February of 2007 and I practiced a lot, between 4 and 5 time a week.  I could group well out to around 18-20 yards and I was excited.  I shot all spring and summer and in September of 2007 I shot a 3-D shoot…it was the most miserable experience of my life.  I just didn’t pick a spot and it showed.  I never got a shot off last fall and passed a doe that I would have drilled with a compound that was less than 15 yards because it didn’t feel good; always trust your gut feelings.  I think the 3-D shoot really rattled me!!

Forward to this year…shot a lot again leading up to turkey season and got to go 5 times.  I missed a turkey on the first morning that was walking but I didn’t pick a spot (like you stated “felt like a rookie”).  Later that season I missed a big thunder chicken at 22.5 yards by less than an inch, I feel I didn’t burn a hole in the bird when I shot.  I only knew the distance afterwards because I stepped it off.  But what an experience!

This summer I shot more than I did last year and I’ve gotten a lot better and feel more at ease, something I didn’t feel last year.  I feel better because I shot three 3-D shoots in three weekends and one was the Rinehart 100, one hundred animals in a single day of shooting.  The first was the Elm Hall traditional shoot…realistic shooting yardages, I actually finished with a smile on my face…but I noticed early on I wasn’t picking a spot.  After I noticed this I shot much better.  The next weekend I shot the GLLI in Hastings, MI and smiled even more…it actually felt good.  This single shoot helped my confidence a ton.  The next weekend was the R100 and that was a true test of mental toughness a seven hour shoot will do that to ya.  

I can’t wait to get into the Double Bull this weekend and see what happens…I’m going to be on the edge of a cornfield near an area where we’ve seen a lot of deer.  I’m still more nervous than I would be with a compound but I’m much better off than I was a year ago.  

I’m actually glad I didn’t get a shot last year…I don’t know if I could have made it or not, this year I’m ready.  I’m not overconfident but I’m much more prepared this year.

Good luck all and remember to pick a spot…that one thing has helped me the most.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
Great post, full circle for sure with a fine doe and the last photo is a real keeper. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
Great story with happy helpers   :thumbsup:
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline buckshot95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Congrats :]
52#@28"-60" Thunder Stick Moab
45#@28"-64" Fred Bear Montana

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
Your helpers look like true professionals. You are a very rich man, and so lucky to have them at home. Congratulations on the excellent shot on your doe!

Killdeer  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys, Yeah Camryn and Devyn love to help daddy.  Although they have not been hunting yet they do understand what daddy does, and that we eat deer.  They love it as a matter of fact.  I try to teach them and expose then to alot of things other than the norm.  We go for hikes, campin, fishing, etc. We also this year planted a garden they helped out with  and after we finished with the butchering we picked some nice tomatoes and peppers to go with our venison. I feel these experiences will just help them be better rounded women in the long run instead of just princesses (although they are my little princesses). oliver I know where your coming from, last year after a few misses and unfortunately a couple of wounding shots I didn't know if this was for me. i used to constantly look at the success thread on this board and think if these people can make it happen why can't I. I feel I am a competent hunter but the traditional bow takes time and forces you to pay your dues, no instant gratification here.  Maybe thats why we love it!! The good thing to do is talk to people who have been there and are willing to tell the truth not just stick out there chests. In the future I will be honest to new people so they understand that misses and maybe even wounding an animal will happen. It is an unfortunate truth of our sport, this ain't no video game, there are real consequences to our actions. Sorry so long I got on a roll there.  Also just some other info. i shot my doe with a 125 Stinger 4 blade with a 100grain insert on a CX Heritage shaft for a total weight of 560grains because of my short draw i was very concerned about penetration(ex-compounder still learning) and contemplated heavier limbs.  Not needed I found out with a complete pass through on this doe.  Thanks again Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©