INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: OH NO......IT'S SNOWING/TradGanger adventures and the hunt for old Crooked Horn.  (Read 17773 times)

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What a great way to start the day! Keep it up Charlie.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
I watched as the buck ran. At first it was all out, but shortly he slowed to a walk. His head began to hang low as he walked and finally he laid down in the short grass only seventy five yards away.

It was over in moments.

Staying behind the cover of the willows I lit a smoke and just stood watching. The prone buck had the attention of every animal in the meadow.
Slowly they started to drift away from him and up hill.

I'd wait until they were out of sight before crossing the stream and approaching my prize.

Still in my bare feet I crossed the creek and found a place to sit while I took off my ghillie and put my boots back on. The barefoot approach had been super quiet and actually was quite comfortable for the entire walk.

I approached the fallen monarch with arrow ready, but it would not be needed.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
I was tickled pink to have taken this old boy. He was a fine specimen and I didn't regret not getting a crack at Old Crooked Horn at all.
I was proud to put my tag on this buck and was already making plans to make a space on the wall near my easy chair for him.

Brent and I got some picture of him where he fell and the usual "hero" pics.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
And that would be about it for one day IF Brent and Vance hadn't gone off into the sage looking for adventure while I took care of my buck.
   :D  

I've still got a doe/fawn tag in my wallet and the sage hen season is just around the corner.

I may not be a "Plover Lover", but I'm a chicken choaker from way back!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Way to go Charlie...a real fine animal!
  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!  That was awesome  :bigsmyl:  That is gotta be some of the most beautiful country on earth, and to top it off a slammer of a buck on a hunt with good friends. Can't see how it could get any better, Thanks for sharing!

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
That is one fine speedgoat Charlie! Congrats!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Classic! Congratulations on a beautiful buck and the story and photos are a joy as usual. Love the willow camo in the quiver. Thanks Charlie.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congratulations on a fine looking Antelope, Charlie...Great story and pics...These hunting/adventure threads are my favorite...they take me places I dream of seeing someday!!!
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :campfire:

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
That is truly a trophy anyone can appreciate.  You couldn't ask for anything more.   Congratulations on a fine buck.  As retirement beckons, I hope to be able to do a few more antelope hunts in the not too distant future.  I don't wish to get older any faster than I have to but there are things to look forward to.

What about that other bloody arrow?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Beautiful buck Charlie!  :readit:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
:thumbsup:    :notworthy:

Offline Lawrenceu

• Trad Bowhunter
That is a wonderful buck.  Thanks for taking us along on the hunt.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Great job all around Charlie. Beautiful buck, super job on the setup, and a story that put me back in a similar situation with three whitetail does a few years ago. Mine didn't pan out,lol. But I do remember it so it was worth something after all. Thanks for including us.     Grant  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
Cassic Charlie Lamb at it's best! Congrats!  :thumbsup:  

I'm envious, hopefully one of these days I'll get the chance to replicate some of your adventures!  :archer:  

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
That is fine buck indeed!!!!
Congrats to you Charlie!!!! And as already mentioned, great story telling as well!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice Goat Charlie!! Congrats!!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Super story and hunt. I've been sharing this thread with some friends and they are like WOW!!!! This is what trad, Hunting, and friendship is all about. Kudos fellas. I know you are all lovin' it.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nice goat, but there was one more arrow with blood on it in the tease pic and it was one of your arrows so I know there is more story.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats Charlie! That is an awesome buck.  :notworthy:
Chad Jones