INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: OH NO......IT'S SNOWING/TradGanger adventures and the hunt for old Crooked Horn.  (Read 17703 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
It didn’t take a real long time for the does (2) and yearlings to work their way down through the gap and even though it seemed to take forever it was actually only a few minutes.

As before, the tall grass made finding a shot difficult. I’d trimmed more grass on arrival at the blind, but I sure hadn’t done it in the right places…. Or maybe the antelope were just messing with me. Yeah, that’s it! They were messin’ with me.

So I waited and leaned this way and that, trying to find an opening in through the grass for a shot.
I strongly suspected my shot the day before had been deflected by the sun dried grass stems and I’d not chance that again.

In time one of the does fed into a shooting lane, but was slightly quartering to me. I waited some more. Finally she turned in her feeding and at fifteen yards presented me with a slightly quartering away shot.

Laying the first three fingers of my drawing hand on the string I applied pressure and raising the bow brought the full power of its sixty seven pounds to bear on nylon tipped Big Shot glove.

The arrow was away with the quickness of thought.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  Ahhhh, this is nice. Thanks Charlie.                  Grant

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
And then?
And THEN???

:eek:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
More please!!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bring it home Charlie!!!!

I'll try an post some pics when I get a chance...

It was a great trip for me, in many ways, some I can't explain.  Thanks to Vance, Brent, Rob and Charlie for just being there, as you all were a big part of my 'successful' trip.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
One thing I’ve found about shooting through netting is that I can’t see the arrow after it leaves the blind. That can lead to a lot of confusion and just a little insecurity.

Fortunately I didn’t have long to wait to determine just what had happened. As the doe ran I could plainly see a red stain on her side. It appeared to be a little far back and that was troublesome, but as I was to find out shortly, the arrow had angled forward and passed through as if she wasn't even there.

She soon bedded only seventy five yards away on the edge of the sagebrush. It would be over in seconds.

I was soon standing over her and proceded to get a few pictures. Then it was just a matter of walking out to my truck and pulling right up to the carcass. I like it when you don't have to drag very far and of course I didn't have to drag this one at all.... antelope are often like that.

Since Vance and Brent had gone to do some errands I didn't expect help and proceded to load the doe in the back of the truck.

Since I didn't want to leave the offal near the blind I loaded her without field dressing. It was a bit of a tug.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well done yet again Charlie!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Way to go Charlie and congrats  :thumbsup:    :clapper:  

You have a gift for writing thats for sure, Thanks for taking us along. Something tells me there's alot more hunting to be done.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Wait a minute...

Call me crazy, but that doesn't look like a Magnus I on the end of that arrow. You feeling okay, Charlie???

:bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
Good stuff, fo sho!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
That's some good chewin right there! Congrats Charlie!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bowspirit... Bingo! On a lark I mounted a Simmons Interceptor on my Carbonwood 4000.
The rest of the hunt will be with Magnus I's.

I don't have much trouble switching over to the Interceptor since it's a big ole blade too.
  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congrats Charlie!!!!

I sure enjoyed the stories, Killie is right they should be in a book of GOOD hunting stories!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well, I've been fighting this computer trying to get the story up for you guys...thanks for the patience.

Heck, I just switched from Windows 98 at home to XP and now I'm trying to deal with Vista. Being less than a computer guru, it's been a bit of a trial.

I made the arrow that I used on the doe with a wrap I won on the St.Jude's auction this year. Onestringer followed my directions to a tee in making these and I have a second arrow just like this one (except with a white nock).

My intent is to recycle them through TradGang and St.Jude's once the hunting for the year is done or they've both made meat.

This is the first one.

We're off to meet up with Doug Campbell tomorrow somewhere in Yellowstone so the story will have to wait until our return tomorrow night or first thing Wednesday morning.

There's still a bunch of tellin ahead.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
This is some good reading material.   Thanks,
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats on the antelope Charlie. Great story. You guys are blessed to have such great hunts with friends.

Ready to hear the next story.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Charlie.....You'll always be "The Man"
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice Goat Charlie. Looks like you guys had a fantastic time. Always great when the trad gang gather. That wacken beavers is great fun. All you have to do is a little dam damage about half hour before sunset and sit back, they all come out of the wood work and start a fixin. If ya miss you can kiss the arrows goodbye, not a problem with you guys I've seen you all shoot.

How's the wolf huntin going Vance?
hunt it

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
Alright Charlie, good shooting!!  How life in the trailer going?  Now let's get busy sticking that buck.  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©