INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: OH NO......IT'S SNOWING/TradGanger adventures and the hunt for old Crooked Horn.  (Read 17704 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for the kind words guys. We're up this morning getting our coffee and a bite before leaving.

Not what most folks think of when they think of antelope hunting weather... it's 30 degrees this morning and frost on everything. It's been that way for most of the trip.... except for the part  where it snowed.
  :help:  

Dick... Terry and I had one rough night in the camper. Ran out of propane. It was pretty sporty! Other than that, life is fine.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Oh you poor dears.  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wow.....what catch up I had to do!....and its about done.

I'll try and get my pics up this evening as I am gonna kick back.

Vance, give me a call when you get a chance please Sir!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Great story Charlie,,,looks like y'all had a great hunt.

CS

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great stuff once again.   :clapper:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nice pics Terry...  :thumbsup:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline sabas silva

• Trad Bowhunter
Grits, my main breakfast staple but no cheese just Land O Lakes butter and we finally have the much needed rain but no snow

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
Sounds like a "bunch-o-fun".   That's "Kansas" for I wish I was there!  :campfire:
Mel Riley

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wish I was there with you! (English for "I wish I was there with you")  :D  :D

Looks like a great time was had/is being had.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
Right on guy's, thanks for sharing    :thumbsup:

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
What a great gathering.  Good going Charlie...beaver & goat!  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
Dang nice country you have on that side of the rock Vance.   :thumbsup:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
I had a truly fulfilling, wonderful time at the Ryegrass Ranch as a guest of host Vance (Iron Bull) and his most gracious wife, Sandra.  Meeting folks old and new, getting acquainted/reacquainted, and flushing out the daily baggage of life I brought with me was my highlight of this Wyoming trad bowhunting rendezvous.  I'd never hunted the wide open spaces of sage and hill, and this was a great learning experience for me, one I'll never forget - and hope to relive again.

I arrived at the ranch late Tuesday afternoon, and rather than rush out to hunt I opted to first get myself a bit acclimated to this part of the country, get the scoop on hunting antelope, and spend some time with the gang - including the photo op of Charlie's hunting adventure of that day (his doe harvest).

Wednesday mid-morning found me in a Double Bull blind that was set on a bit of a hillock overlooking mostly sage.  The sun was shining, a few distant clouds in the sky, but the wind kicked up a heapin' bunch and rocked that blind (and me) silly.  A few times I thought it would upend and launch skyward like a kite, but it didn't.  After well over seven hours, no sign of antelope - but I did have a front row seat to view the awesome scenary and constant whir and buzz of nature all around my little bubble hut ... Wyoming is some hunk of magnificent land!

I spent beautiful Thursday morning in the "rockpile" blind that sits just off a "slot" in a ridge line.  After a half hour or so, four 'lopes appeared on the ridge, about 200 yards away; two does and two fawns.  Within ten minutes those goats were joined by a real nice buck and a doe.  They nosed around, bedded down, nosed around some more and then slowly moved off to my blind side of the ridge.  Hmmm, were they going straight down the slope or along the other side of the ridge to come to the "slot"?  After a few minutes of anticipation I made a quick decision to leave the blind, belly over to the rock pile and see where the game was going.  I covered up head to toe in camo and it was maybe a 30 yard or so crawl to the rocks.  I ever so sloooowly peering up over the ridge, and ... 'member that scene in Jurassic Park, where the band of newcomers got their first glimpse of the valley, chock loaded with grazing dinos? - now I know that feeling ... I lost count at 13 grazing antelopes.  A fine buck was about 30 yards away, but that fat doe at just over 40 yards would fill my permit just fine if she'd only git about 20 yards closer to the rockpile.  I waited.  They grazed.  Inside of 10 minutes, they slowly started grazing away from the ridge, towards the fence line.  It was an awesome experience to be this close to such beautiful creatures, and although I had an arrow on string, my bow never got to sing.  Time to head back to the ranch house.

Around four that afternoon Brent drove me and Terry up the road to the fence line and Terry got settled into the rockpile blind while I was to settle into the blind along the ridge end ... (tbc).

A bit o' Wyoming scenery ...

The "telephone stump" in the right foreground - hadda stand on it to make a cell phone call, only place I could find Verizon service! ...

Inside a blind ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Man, sounds like you guys had a blast.  Beautiful pics!!  Thanks for sharing
Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
As always this is a highlight of the fall.  Thanks Vance for giving us this trip the last several years to go on vicariously.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
We knew there at least a few antelopes grazing the "pasture" on the other side of the ridge line, so I camo'd up and did the stealth walk along the low side of the ridge, then bellied up the ridge to the blind, lifted up the bottom of near side and shoved in my pack and bow, wiggled around to the flap side, unzipped, crawled in, settled down.  Peering out the blind's top flap I could see 4 or 5 'lopes grazing about 150 yards down the other side of the ridge.  Just needed to bide my time and hope to get lucky that one would graze up to the blind.  I waited a whole bunch.  Then, like some magic act, a real nice buck appeared within 20 yards of the blind ...

Ah, if I only had a buck permit!  Oh well.  Within about fifteen minutes, down at the bottom of the ridge appeared a pair of does, the larger good-sized one was about 15 yards away and broadside - time to hunt for real!  I slowly got off the stool, loaded the Mohawk with a Wensel tipped Beman, knelt down, started to draw and realized the steep angle required me to get up higher - so, while concentrating on the doe, I sorta crouched up, drew back, aimed low to compensate for both the angle and the "blind screen effect", and let the 55 pounds of loaded limbs pull the string from my fingers.  "WHAP"!!!  The top limb whacked the blind's roof.  Antelopes jumped all around, startled by the noise - I doubt the arrow was even noticed.  The buck was gone, the does galloped along and up to the ridge top about 35 yards away, slowed down and looked around, trotted down the back of the ridge.  That was that.  So darned close - that shudda been a "gimme" shot ... dang it!!! (tbc)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Way to go Rob!  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Don't stop there Rob!

Had a long day, and I finally got a chance to get on and post a bit more.

I had a great experience on this hunt being that it was really amazing what you can get away with on mule deer.  Stalking them on the ground was something very different than these easter whitetails.

Those pics I posted earlier of those 'thinned' aspens I'd hunted last year, and they were freshly cut and was like walking through land mines.  This year I figured they'd really be in there grazing on the new growth, and boy were they!!!  

I used the woods road as my sneak as the left over logs and limbs would be way too noisy.  I stalked 4 different does in just one afternoon.  Unfortunately, even though I got in bow range of all 4, the multitude of limbs from the laid down pines and evergreens made getting a clear shot next to impossible.

I even had one doe in range and was 'fixing' to get a shot when she all of the sudden walked straight into a little grove of firs and bedded down looking right at me.  I stood in the road for an hour while she chewed her cud.  After she got up, I had a great aproach with that grove as cover and snuck right up to inside 20 yards and the wind wirled.  She only needed one more step, but now she turned and faced me for at least a minute before pogoing off.

After I settled for couple of minutes, I moved on down the road about 60 yards slowly and got on another, for the 2nd cat and mouse game....then another, and another.  I was frazzled to say the least, but the hunt was a success for me as I got within range of all of them before the jig was up.

Here's a few more pics......

My ride thanks to Vance....an old Suburban seemed perfect....

The Wind River Range in the back ground.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©