INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: MO Sherpa and elk  (Read 9773 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: MO Sherpa and elk
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Most excellent, Sir!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
A-1 story telling Shaun....and great photos.  :thumbsup:

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Good job Shaun ! Kept me interested all the way.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Larry

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
Outstanding Shaun!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
Gifted story teller, great story to tell, and a great read was had by me!  Makes me want to drop about a hundred pounds so I can go...and maybe survive.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Back from the funeral visitation now so to add a few details and pictures to this tale.

Last year I made three hunting trips from Iowa to the Rocky Mountains and didn't want to spend that much time behind the windshield or that much on gas this year, so I planned this year to be a two week affair, one trip for elk only.  I had a long time partner back out for a trip to Hawaii with his spouse, and my younger brother took a new job and was not going to be able to go this year either.  My son and other reliable partner Eric Nielsen would be coming but that left some capacity in camp and I offered the opportunity to hunt to a couple of fellows including Shaun Webb.  Shaun was able to come so plans were made for an early September horseback wilderness hunt.

My number one passion for a hobby is training horses.  Number two is fabricating new equipment and preparing my gear for pack trips and number three is bowhunting elk in the remote wilderness.  All of these activities are intermingled and related to each other resulting in a common goal.

My son and I drove all night from Iowa to Colorado as soon as I got off of work on Friday afternoon.  14 hours later we were on the west side of the divide having breakfast and getting our tags.  We were exhausted but mustered enough energy to get the horses packed and started down the trail by mid afternoon Saturday.  Saturday of Labor Day weekend is not the best day to be packing in with a long string of horses.  There were over 100 cars at the trailhead, most people had 2 dogs and or a baby stroller or old people shuffling along the trail for their labor day outing.  It was like the Iowa State fair for people watching.  Seems like most of them had never seen a horse before and didn't know to get out of our way, as we had the right of way with a loaded packstring.  Nevertheless we made our way past most of them.  I was shocked at the amount of traffic on the trail but that was actually a good thing because I think all that human activity serves to drive the elk farther into the high country where I like to go.

My son, Jacob and I had a good week working elk 2-3 times a day. Jacob had three very close calls with elk including a spike at 20 yards that wouldn't leave, a lead cow at 15 yards that stared him down from behind a big spruce tree that covered her vitals and a huge bull at 12 yards that busted him and left him a trembling bowl of jello unable to move.   The most frustrating thing was the constantly blowing wind that blew every direction within 10 minutes time all day long.  Jacob was toting a compound bow but he has confided to me that he knows he should have killed that bull if he would have been able to get off a quick shot and hadn't been fumbling with his release and peepsite while the bull was coming in.  He is ready to take up the longbow as soon as deer season is over.  First wheel bow conversion of the week.

I also taught him how to handle a fly rod and he was getting the hang of it pretty well, only the fish were not biting the day we took time to fish one afternoon.  The week passed by quickly.  I decided to go spend Friday night in town at the Motel instead of packing Jacob out on Saturday Morning.   It was 7.5 miles back to the trailhead and a 15 mile round trip back to camp up that steep trail was a lot to ask of my horses.  We grained them at the truck, watered them in the creek and went to town for a hot shower, sit down supper at the steakhouse and sleep in a soft bed.  I had a flat tire on the way to the trailhead on our way in the first night but that small town did not have a 10 or 14 ply tire to fit my trailer so I crossed my fingers in hopes that my second spare would be sufficient if needed at all.

We met Shaun and Eric around noon and made the 7.5 mile trip back to camp in about three hours.  Really good pace considering the elevation gain.

Shaun has give a very good detailed account of his week with me and I have little to add.  I did skin out the bull using the St. Judes Doug Campbell Mammoth tooth Damascus skinning knife I had with me.  It is a beautiful piece of work but in the future I will keep my Helle knife handy for any butchering chores.  Darkness was upon on us and the rain was falling as I started to skin the bull.  He had been trying to get some relief in a nearby wallow about 30 yards away and he was pretty rank.  I was in a hurry and cut myself sharpening the skinning knife.  It will heal but will leave a mark.

I had a great time with my Jacob, Shaun and Eric the past two weeks.  I am closing in on 52 years old and don't know how many more elk hunting expeditions I will have in me so I give 100% to get the most out of each one.  Getting up and down the mountain is mainly a matter of proper motivation, passion, desire and some appropriate conditioning.  I am living testament that a fat old man can successfully hunt elk in the nastiest country in the USA.  I have been to Idaho hunting in the Lochsa, Clearwater and Selway drainages which are quite steep.  Even so I assure you there isn't any tougher country than parts of Colorado above 10,000 ft.  Thats where I find the best elk hunting and I crave the remote Wilderness experience that comes with the territory.  Enough said about all that,  I have a few pictures to add.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
Great story and pictures!!  Loved it..

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
My son, Jacob.  We took an afternoon to scout a promising looking high basin with a big park leading into it.  No elk sign of any kind, no droppings, no rubs, no tracks, no wallows, no elk, grass was ungrazed.  I was perplexed (and disappointed) as to why there were not any elk here.

Jacob learning the ways of the ultralite flyrod.

Here is my Remuda for this trip, highlined near my tents.  In general these horses did a great job for us and I am quite proud of them.  Pepe, the little golden palomino doesn't have the stamina to keep up every day and he will not be making any more mountain trips with me.  He is the best handling horse I have, good for the most inexperienced rider but not quite cut out for this high country.  Tank, the big blue roan on the far end is a great pack horse, and an outstanding cow horse but a little hard to catch and tough on the farrier.  He will be replaced this winter with a smaller size good trail horse that can pack.  Shaun got to ride Smoke, the Grulla third from the left.   Tough little horse, only three years old but acts like an old hand, a real keeper for me.

I turn the horses loose for about 6 hours of grazing every day.  They hang around camp and do not stray off which is a good trait for a mountain hunting horse to have.  These horse know me as their supreme leader and stick around wherever I am.  Comes with lots of use, attention and a little sweet feed daily leading up to these hunts.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2008, 12:06:00 AM »
This is the bow tree with my snakebit super shrews and Shaun's yew takedown.  I applied the limbskinz a few days before making this trip.  Easy to apply, and I think look good.  I hunted exclusively with the copperhead backed bow this trip and it was pretty banged up by the end of two weeks.  Its going to need a new set of limb covers soon.

One of my fabrication projects.  This is a coat made out of Swiss army blankets.  A little on the heavy side compared to US issue blankets but makes a nice heavy long wool jacket.  I used elk antler for the buttons on the front and sleeves.  Belt buckle and cowhide belt from the leather factory.

Another fabrication project.  I make these stirrups.  I wear a size 12 boot.  A hunting boot of that size does not fit into a regular riding stirrup without a high risk of hanging up if you can even get your foot into it.  I made these stirrups out of 5/8 inch cold rolled steel and put a 1" ball bearing on the end so it would not dig into the horses side.  They are open on one side so your foot can not get hung up.  They are wide enough for a size 12 boot with an inch to spare on each side.  I wrapped them in 3/8 braided nylon cord and spray painted with several coats of Rustoleum to seal them up.  These stirrups swivel at the attachment to the fender and thus the fender does not ever have any twist in it.  Real comfortable and safe stirrup for what I use it for.  I have 4 riding saddles and they all have these stirrups.

St. Jude's Doug Campbell knife draws blood, mine!  Should have taken my time and been more careful.  That's going to leave a mark.

Another view of the no elk high meadow park.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
Snow hangs on year round when you are approching 12000 ft.

Awe inspiring view across the canyon from around 11000 ft elevation.

This wallow was unused when we found it.  We had a bull come down the slope on the first day we sat here.  He smelled us and ran up and down the mountain several times snorting and stamping like a whitetail buck before he left for good.

This is the same waterhole where Jacob had his encouter with the 360 inch class bull a couple days later.  I carefully placed the sticks in the wallow in a crossed pattern on Thursday afternoon.  When Eric and I returned on
Sunday morning the sticks were no where to be found and the water was thick and turbid from recent wallowing activity.  Very encouraging sign.  We let Shaun sit this wallow one afternoon but the elk were watering and wallowing elsewhere that day.

This was a major wallow.  Jacob and Eric both had bulls come in to this wallow while they were sitting here in the afternoon, but never got close enough for a shot.  This wallow has a big dry strip through the middle of it that is ground up to a powder and reeks of elk scent.  They also use the mud wallow too.  Interesting place at around 11000ft, and a quarter of a mile from the water hole where the big bull came in.

This is a big rub, again they were every where on the top third of lightning bolt mountain.  It can take a big bull to make such an impact, and we have seen him.  Maybe next year we can get another shot at him.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »
Here is another typical wallow at 11,500 ft. elevation.  There were more wallows than I could keep track of, literally dozens of them just like this.  There have to be a lot of elk to keep up with all of the rubs and wallows on this mountain top.

Taking a break by the creek.  This creek seeps out of the top of the mountain just below an unnamed lake.  Nearly got a blue grouse near here this evening, but he was a lucky one and flew off before I could loose an arrow.

Typical high mountain bench habitat frequented by lots of elk.

Near the top of lightening bolt mountain and the unnamed lake.  Lots of good elk country all the way to the top.

Returning to the trailhead at the end of two weeks, wet, cold and tired.  What a load of fun.  Wrangling and packing with horses is a dying art/skill unless you are an outfitter.  It gives me a high level of satisfaction to be able to go anywhere I want, whenever I want.  When the elk have been pushed off the mountain where we were hunting and action slowed we were able to saddle up, ride 3 or 4 miles and get right back into them the next day.  I put in over 60 miles in the saddle in two weeks and that doesn't bother me any more than sitting at the kitchen table.  Much better than trying to walk an extra 60 miles in a week on top of my regular hunting for sure.

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2008, 01:23:00 AM »
Just wondering how you are packing your bows while riding the horses. I can't stand carrying my one piece recurve while riding a horse.
j yenney

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »
Very good story guys. Shaun, you just added another notch to the bar. I'm here watching.
 :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2008, 03:21:00 AM »
Wow. Just wow  :D

Half of me wishes I could've been there with you, the other half is telling the first half to lose a lot of weight & get fit before it thinks things like that!  :D  :D

It looks like one of those times where getting an elk really wouldn't be that important in comparison with the rest of the journey, although I'm happy for Eric that he did  ;)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2008, 06:41:00 AM »
Outstanding! Glad y'all had such a great hunt.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
Nice pictures John! Do you have one of the elk on the ground or are those on Eric's camera?

Jacob, the bows were in PVC tubes broken down except for the wheelie that was in a scabbard. John carried his Shrew in his hand some of the time on short rides. I need two hands to ride so mine went back in a tube.

Thanks Charlie. Can't wait to read about the demise of your antelope and to share campfire tales again this fall.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Congrats to you all! A fantastic trip! Loved all the pictures and a great story. Memories of a lifetime.
hunt it

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
Shaun,

This is the only picture I have and it suffers from some shakes on my part.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
Lord!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©