INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: spring bear trade a hunt results. pics added, story added  (Read 2451 times)

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
spring bear trade a hunt results. pics added, story added
« on: May 24, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
myself and two other tradgangers from texas just returned from a week of bear hunting in alaska,  we atempted to hunt in the prince william sound but it was just a little early.  we ended up hunting the kenai peninsula,  after 6 days of walking up mountains falling in snowed over creeks, sneeking up on unsuspecting brown bears and a couple blown opertunities we came out with a verry old sow that matt shot with his blacktail,  this bear had climbed in to a tree to see us and that was its last mistake.  we rushed down and matt shot her while she was climbing down drooling and woofing,  im prety shure if she had made it to the ground she was coming after us but thankfully we never had to find out,  I will have some pics soon.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: spring bear trade a hunt results. pics added, story added
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
Tap tap tap

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
:coffee:  Cant wait to see the pics!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
im sorry, i have not recived the photos yet, still waiting.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »
How dare you get on here and leave us hanging out to dry!! I hope you're a little ashamed of yourself!!

Huh, Terry?

Can't wait to see them!

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
I sent you the pics Jason. Did you get them yet?

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Jason was the best host/guide/bear skinner two flat-landers from Texas could have ever hoped for.

What a fun but tiring hunt. It's daylight up there 20 hours a day now so you fell like you should hunt at least 16 hours a day. I even got to try some Mucktuck! (that's whale meat)

Thank you again Jason.

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
Can't resist one more pic...

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
^
'
'
'
'

The look on Jason's face was priceless when I asked him if that was a color phase black bear   :knothead:

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
haha i see you got your old handle back,  i didnt recive any pics or emails, must have gotten lost.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Wonderfull!!! Thanks for sharing.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
I'll send the pictures again tonight J.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
SWEEEET!! Good job, but give us more details, LOL. With two little ones, it'll be a coon
s age before I make it up there.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
i finaly got my internet back i know it is a little late but here is the story.
  i met these two fine men here on trad gang they responded to a trade a hut post about some pigs.  well their turn came first and i had planned a prince william sound bear hunt out of a skiff.  well the day after they showed up in kenai we drove to whitter and to my suprise it was still winter in there.  we gave it a shot anyway with a 4 hour run in 30kt winds and 4 to 6 foot seas we made it to our destination. lucky for us their was a cabin that was reserved but due to the weather the people didnt show so we had a place to dry our stuff and hide from the rain and wind.
we stayed there for two nights after some scouting and thought the bears were just not out yet.  there was still 4foot of snow above tideline.  so the day we packed up the weather cleared and water smoothed and we left for the kenai peninsula.
once again we lucked out and found a cabin that wasnt reserved, we didnt spend a single night in a tent. the first evening on the lake we walked up a river valley and to no suprise there was a brownie looking around,  he came up twards us and showed no fear, we had time to snap a few pics then run him off.  
  later that evening we began glassing some burn area on the side of the mountain,  we spotted a smaller black bear and atempted a stalk but the burn area was full of downed trees and 3 year old birch and willow,  it was a noisy aproach to say the least.
further up the mountain we glassed numerous bears over the next few days 16 to be exact, but we could not find a way up around some drainige cuts,  the second to last day we found a steep ridge that led up to prime spring foraging,  as soon as we crested we were on a bear,  this one eluded us three diferent times without so much as joging.  we spent the rest of the day sidehilling the mountain we had seen the bears on.  we spotted a few other and one extremely large one.  the day took a scary trun when trying to cross a snow damned ceek matt went through and almost under the snow pack. the rest of the day was spent walking to camp wishing we had been there five hours ago.  
the last day came and we decided to go back to the same are  we had chased the bear the morning before.  we sat in the same spot for a half hour when matt spotted a bear working its way down a ridge 500 yards away.  we watched it for a while and decided that if we could get a chance matt would shoot.  we atemped to move itno a better vantage point when the bear made it to the valley below us.  our movement must have made the bear curious and it climbed one of the thee trees in the valley when we saw this we ran to that tree.  the bear was not happy, it began woofing drooling.  mat took a shot and the arrow glanced off a branch,  he nocked another and shot again this one stuck the bear, what looked like to be a good hit the bear roared and then began climbing down the tree, it seemed to be looking directly into out eyes.  i told matt that if that bear put one foot on the ground i was going to shoot with the rifle.  matts last try landed dead center, the bear went stiff then came the fall, about 10 foot of crashing and the bear was dead when it hit the ground.
   we looked over his kill then went and found tom who was hunting the other side, we all skinned and boned out the meat, then packed it down the mountain to the boat.  the rest of the evening was full of what iffs, what if matt had missed what if it had gotten out of the tree and the what if I would have missed,  who knows.  but i bet it would have been bad.  
    we looked for another bear that evening for tom but we failed, the next morning we packed up and headed out.  
     now it is my turn oct 15 i am flying down to texas to take on some pigs and deer,  this is the first time i have been out of state to hunt and should be a great time,  
     thanks tom and matt

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
Wow great time you had. love the pic's

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
Neat, don't know how I missed this one earlier.  Hope you have good hunting in Oct.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
WOW, Nice bear, and story to
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©