INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Elk Down!!  (Read 4811 times)

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Down!!
« on: August 31, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
Yesterday was the opener for archery elk in Idaho.  My father and I have hunted the area for a number of years and set up two treestands at the convergence of several trails and a wallow last weekend.  Friday night we hiked up the mountain and spent the night up there.  

Early Saturday we made our way into our stands.  Before too long we could hear cow calls just on the other said of the finger we were bordering.  They probably weren't 150 yards away but we couldn't see any of them.  Then just just up the hill, a bull let out an extremely loud chuckle.  It was so loud and hollow sounding.  He sounded like he was just out of sight.  

Out of the corner of my eye I caught movement up the hill.  I thought it might be a deer until I saw the dark thick leg through the trees.  ELK!!  I was so excited.  He stepped out and even had antlers.  60 yards out, he started working down a trail that would take him past my fathers stand and then down to mine.  I kept expecting to have the elk bolt with my fathers arrow in him and I could get a chance at a running elk.  I just kept thinking that I might get a chance at a wounded running elk and was ready.  The elk had now turned to side hill a little bit and stopped.  I could no longer see his neck or head because it was behind a large tree.  As I am watching and waiting for my father to shoot this bull that can't be more than 10 yards from his stand it hits me, I have a slightly quartering away shot at a bull elk that is just under 25 yards!  I slowly drew back now fully aware of how much my leather glove seems to be squeaking.  Good back tension and the string slid from my fingers.  The arrow arched slightly and plowed into the elk high in his lungs.  My heart sank as a large portion of my arrow was still sticking out.  He spun 180 degrees and stumbled.  Regaining his footing he went out of sight after going straight up hill.  Out of view we heard some crashing in the brush followed my more breaking branches seconds later.  Did he fall or did he spook other elk?  I sat down taking it all in and replaying it all over again and again.  Several questions raced through my mind like, why didn't the arrow penetrate because better I am shooting #65, why didn't he head downhill like they always do, was the crashing him dying or just spooking other elk?  

We waited about two hours to give him plenty of time to bed down and also see if anything else might come in for my dad.  

I was elated to finally get out of our stands and on his track.  A little blood and then there was lots of of foamy blood sprayed over and over up the hill.  The tracking only took us about 60 yards where we found him piled up dead.  My first trad elk!!  A rag horn that had five points on one side and a single long eye guard with a gnarled knob that looked like the result of an injury on the other.  His horns were small but I would have shot a calf if that was the shot that was presented.

I have killed several with my compound over the years but had never seriously gone with a stickbow.  Even though I have shot well since I was young.  When I purchased my Centaur longbow from Jim Neaves in July, I thought I better give traditional on honest try for big game.

We found my arrow 12 yards from where I shot the bull.  It was still my full length shaft but the broadhead was gone.  This is scary when you have to gut the animal and you don't know where the broadhead is.  We eventually found the broadhead buried in the off shoulder

I shot him at 7:30 AM and we had him all packed out by 8:30 PM.  Worst part was, other than packing, that my father and I both forgot our cameras.  On one of our trips back up the mountain I brought my phone to take a picture, but now need to figure out how to get it off.  What a long wonderful day.

Good luck to everyone this season.
oxnam

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Down!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
Congratulations.  Great job. Looking forward to the cell phone pic.

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
Great Job. Thanks for sharing. Flint

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Mark Smeltzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
Nice job, That is exciting stuff!!  I'll be heading to N. Idaho very soon
Great country to hunt.
Mark

Offline Roy Stroh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
Congrats!!!!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Great job  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
Congrats and thanks for the story.   :clapper:    :goldtooth:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
Grrrrrrrrrreaat!!!!!!!!

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
:clapper:  

Congrats on your first trad Bull!  somehow that one is always one of the most special no matter how many you've taken before.    Thanks for the story.  My turn tomorrow as I take my bowyer out for a couple day hunt.  

:goldtooth:
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
:archer:
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
Great job,great story!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
It's great you were hunting with your dad. Thanks for sharing,congratulations.
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Chuck Mullaley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
Congratulations!!!!!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:  

Pictures?!
"I hate rude behavior in a man...I won't tolerate it."  Capt. Woodrow F. Call

Offline oldpaths

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
Way to go!!!!!!,cant wait for the pics!  :clapper:
Colossians 3:23

Offline bbairborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
Way to Go!  can't wait for pics.

------------
Trad Rag | com
Wapiti chasing 10 days out of the year and lovin' it!!!
Longbow: ACS-CX 58#@28. Arrow: GT5575 Traditional, 100gr. Brass insert, 125 gr. Magnus 2-blade: 530 gr. total.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
Congrats. Very well done.

Thanks for sharing the story. And relay a message of good luck to your dad. Tell him we are all hoping to hear his story of success.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
Excellent! Nicely done!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline deertraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
Great!  :clapper: