INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear hunt along! Warning: explicite photos of bait -w pics and vid THE FINALLE!!  (Read 18972 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
So here it is, the final day. I didn't go out in the morning due to a family commitment. And in my book, family comes first. So we got home around noon, I played with my sons who have been seriously neglected for the last month then headed up for the last evening.
I told my wife several weeks ago that I thought something special was going to happen on this hunt, but I didn't know what or when. I hoped tonight was the night. So i drive up to my site, and much to my dismay, a truck with a dog box parked right across from where my bait is. I was furious! I couldn't believe it!! I hung around til the guys who ran it showed up, I confronted them, asked if they knew my bait was up there. They of course said no, except I reconized the truck from a couple days earlier. Nothing I could do. They also informed me they had a client with a tag and had killed a 200 lb sow a couple miles from there.
I was deflated. Both emotionally and physically. Honestly I felt like crying.
But it was the last night, and I was going to at least go sit. I had a bunch of stuff to burn, and headed up about 3:30. I also made sure that they weren't going to use the canyon to get to the dead bear, they weren't. So I headed up, deciding to enjoy the evening on the last day of what has been one of the best hunts of my life.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
I can't tell you how much I'm pulling for you on the ending here, but no matter how this turns out, you've have had a great hunt.  Did everything the right way, worked hard, saw bears, and best of all, took a bunch of us along with you.
Thanks!  :notworthy:  

Now - Carry on!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Matt Stuckey

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for taking us all along

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
I honestly at peace with what was going on. I had seen several bears and tons of pics from my trail camera. And a couple of some really big bears. So I am enjoying the evening when around 8 I hear a noise down the canyon. I have never seen a bear come from this direction, so I stood up to see what made the noise. A splsh of tan moved through the brush, and I thought " What the heck is an elk doing coming towards my bait?"
Until the "elk" popped out and instead was a cinamon phased bear. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I turned my camera on, had my longbow in hand and focused on the shot ahead. I thought to myself," hurry with this shot, get an arrow off!"
What a mistake, the bear moved to my bait I drew, hit anchor and promtly sent the arrow right under his chest. The bear blew out of there and stopped about 30 yards away. Without thinking another arrow was on the string, and on the way. Holy Snap Shot Batman!! The arrow arched arcoss and looked like it smacked the bear right behing the shoulder.
I couldn't believe it!! I just smoked this bear! I sat down and tryed to not fall out of the tree from the shakes. While reating I looked down at my first arrow and saw it broke in half with blood on it. I hit it twice. Know I was really pumped. I replayed the video and saw that I did hit low, but hit the far leg. I looked for blood where I hit it the second time, found more, marked it and headed out to give the bear some time. I was going to come back the next morning with my Dad and a guy I met up there that knew bear real well.

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Forget the video for now!!! Show us the bear!!!

Good thing the Red Wings are in Double Overtime!

Online BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Sweet!! Nice job! Very well done and very much deserved!  Now, we won't let you slide on the video...gotta' see that.  However, some pics will hold us over till you get that video up.  Come on, we know you have photos and we want to see them all.  Thanks for taking us all up the mountain with you!

Actually, the anticipation of seeing the video great...kind of like slowly following the blood trail and with the anticipation of what lies at the end.  Congratulations!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
So sun morning I was up early, the boys wanted to come and I figured why not, the bear was dead and it would be a short trail. I told them to stay in the truck while Dad and I took up the trail. I would come and get them when we found the bear. The trail was good to great. Blood every five feet and good blood. The only thing was I wasn't seeing lung blood, but it was spraying. We followed the trail for a few hundred yards, all the while I'm starting to get worried. If i hit this bear behind the shoulder, at a quartering away It should have hit both lungs, but for sure one. A one lung is not good, but it was leaving a good blood trail. So my hopes where high.
About an hour and a half later and a quarter mile, I was really getting worried. All the bad thoughts started flooding my mind. I told my Dad I was going to get help. He stayed on the track while I went to get my new found friend.
I had met him a couple days before and we hit it off.
I told the boys to hang tight and we returned to the track. Dad had picked up more blood and we continued.
For three more hours we followed a good to sparse blood trail. I couldn't believe this bear had gone this far and lost so much blood and wasn't dead. I always seem to shoot the representative of the species I'm hunting that has the unbelievable will to live. And this seemed to be the case again. I asked my Dad if he would head back to the truck and take the boys home. I feared the worst. He, being the awesome guy that he is, headed them back home. It was at this time I really had to keep my composure. There was a real risk of losing this bear, I couldn't believe we had tracked it this far, but I knew the odds were stacked against me. I even had the thoughts of giving up hunting with a longbow. If you recall I lost a bull elk last year. I couldn't keep from thinking about giving up for good. But I had to give this bear a little more effort, we still had blood.
Jared, my buddy, and I stayed on the track. I was having a hard time keeping my focus and not giving up. I was told stranger things have happened, and not give up. I hadn't all hunt, and this was no different.
We had gone about three miles, and it was about three, when we spotted buzzards circling a half mile away. That had to be my bear!! We headed to the spot as fast as we could. Dad wasn't back yet, but we needed to see if this was my bear.
We were in a deep canyon and a small creek ran through it. There was a trail next to it, and we headed up. I know it was a risk to abondon the blood trail, but we had to try.
We startedd up the creek, quickly but quietly. I tryed to find the birds, but they had left. We picked the brush apart where we had last seen the birds. There I saw it, the same splash of tan i had seen the night before. I crept up the trail with an arrow nocked, and there across the bank was a cinamon bear!! I needed to make sure it was my bear. It took a step, and there was the blood on the leg. I don't remember draw or letting go. I only remember picking a spot and seeing my arrow hit the exact spot. The bear turned, then tipped over into the creek!!
I was overjoyed. I jumped up yelled and high fived Jared. I couldn't believe it!! after three miles we had found my bear and got him!! ( A note to all the guys I sent pics to already, I thought it was 5 miles, but after checking the GPS it was more like 3 but felt like 10!!)
(another note video now up on page ten)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Here are some pics of my bruin. He was estimated at about 275-300 lbs. I taped him at 6'2" and roughed his head at 18". There is not one single rub on him, and he is an awesome color. This was way more of a bear than I could have dreamed of.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
I had a hard time keeping his togue in his mouth for pics. If anyone knows had to photoshop that out would they let me know. Thanks!
Here's another. Thanks for tagging along!!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
That is just AWESOME!  Way to stick with it.  You sure did things right, and even with all the setbacks, I just knew it would come together because that is what happens when you are doing it for the right reasons.  EXCELLENT!  I even believe I predicted cinnamon a handful of pages back   ;)  

Almost perfect timing...Red Wings are going on the poweer play with 2:16 left in the 2nd overtime.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
HOLY COW!!!!

Unbelievable!!!!!!

I am very happy for you Steadman!!!  Way to keep going and not giving up, it really payed off, that is one heck of a bear, trophy, memory, and story!!!!!

A 300 pounder, What an exciting end to wonderful hunt!!

Congratulations  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

Thanks for sharing!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Greg Sz.

• Trad Bowhunter
beautiful looking bear!! Very nice!! Thank the Red Wings and Penguins for going into triple overtime! But seriously what a nice looking bear!!
40#@28 '66 Herters Internat. Match Hunter
65#@28 Zipper Recurve (Bob Thompson model)
50#@28 DAS Dalaa

Offline Dave Huff

• Trad Bowhunter
Awesome job, heck of a follow along.  I head to Maine in September for bear. I hope my trip is even a fraction as exciting as yours.
It is a world with dew still on it, more touched by wonder and possiblitly than any I have since known.

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
AS GOOD AS IT GETS RYAN!!!!!! AWESOME Thread and We can't wait for the next one..Skyler and Don
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline Chris EdS

• Trad Bowhunter
Now we need a post mortem on that first shot!!!  When you replay the video and stop it you can see the hit it looks a tad low but still should have taken out a lung.  Did you hit him with the 2nd shot?  And what did you hit with the third and  obviously lethal shot?  

Great video, great story and a great hunt.

Congrats!
  :clapper:  
Chris

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
AWESOME!! I REALLY appreciate the time you took to keep us informed and to take us with you!!
WELL DONE MAN!  :bigsmyl:    :notworthy:    :campfire:    :archer:    :clapper:
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
and people say it is ~easy~ ... 18 ? 15 5/16.
Congrat and a tip of the hat for your efforts!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fantastic!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nice tracking job and good follow through.  I have really enjoyed this thread.  Great bear, by the way.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©