INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear hunt along! Warning: explicite photos of bait -w pics and vid THE FINALLE!!  (Read 19027 times)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice story and pics! Good warning about the graphic pics of bait too!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Coldfingers

• Trad Bowhunter
Am enjoying this also. Have a little hunt planned in a few weeks with friends from Florida.

Can you get your hands on some popcorn? Makes a good bait and EASY to pack. An added plus is that the bears cannot pack more than a mouthfull out from the site.

I have noticed over time that if you are getting multiple bears on site, there is an established pecking order and the smaller bears will hang up on the perimiter to make absolutely sure that the big boy (or a sow with cubs) is not there.

You can also bet that the bruins are making a wide circle and have your scent filed in their data banks. The more you photograph while they feed, the more they become convinced you are pretty harmless.

Sure fun watching them isn't it? An active bait station is a hoot along with being very educational about their little quirks.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures, but God still saw fit to give them quills.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
What a beautiful bear!  Great pics and story - keep it coming as it happens.  We're right there with you!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
Great stuff! Keep it coming!  ;)   :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm not a bear hunter but would love it, I'm sure. Answer me this:

What do you mean when you say you did a "burn?"
Romans 8:28

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Powduck
 It is a method of distributing scent. You take a backpacking stove of somekind; and an old pot; and you put honey in it; or bacon grease; or jello mix with marshmallows.
 Then you heat it to where it boils off the liquid and the remaining gook starts to smoke.
 The smoke is thick; and hangs around a while.
I am sure you have been near where there was a fire where something other than wood was burned; and noticed how some things just stay in the air forever?
 Well; thats the plan. The longer the odor stays in the area; the higher the chances a wandering bear will wander in to check it out.
 I like burning honey more than other things; and I have had bears walk in while I was burning.
 After I get a bear coming in; then I use other ways to keep it there; like cooking oil in the dirt around the bait that sticks to their feet; so when they walk off: it leaves a trail back to the bait for the other bears to follow....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
That makes "scents"    :saywhat:

Thanks.

Waiting for more hunt pics, stories, and videos. Way cool thread.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
I have a couple minutes tonight, and since I can't get my blasted video to download. I will just tell the story. If I can ever get it I will be sure to post it.
So Sat. night after my sons soccer game. I head home, pick up Nathan, and head to the bait. When we got to the sight we did another sweet burn ( Thanks Brian for explaining it  :thumbsup:  ) We rearrage the trail camera, and hang his stand. Now let me say, it was DANG cold that night. And you have to cross a small river, which was a bit higher and went over our boots as we crossed. I will bet it dropped into the upper 30's. So it was a little hard to keep still.
All night nothing. At 8:25 I stand up look back at Nate and nod to get down. Nate motions 10 more minutes. I nod back, after all what's ten more when you are froze.
While I was daydreaming, and trying to stay warm, Nate whispers from behind, "BEAR!" I look up and see a bear, about 30 yards away. It looked like the small cinnamon (which I thought was a Blonde) from the first night. But I didn't care. I grabbed my longbow and prepared for a shot. The bear worked it's way around the right side of the bait. It's getting darker by the second. My breathes are short and I'm trying to keep my composure. I calm myself down as it works right underneath my stand. But there is no shot. The bear is facing straight away from me. Come on turn just a bit. It does! I pick a spot, and start to draw. Just about an inch from my anchor, without any reason. The nice cinnamon blows out of there. NO!!! I couldn't believe it. One more inch, and dead bear.
It was getting dark fast, so Nathan and I scramble out of the stands and high foot it out of the canyon. Man what a rush! I had to hold on to the tree trunk to keep from shaking out of the tree! I will say that it was one of the biggest thrill in all the years I have been hunting.
We can't figure out why the bear bolted. We guess it was the sixth sense. We went over the video and well that's hunting. Here is a picture the trail camera took as the bear came in.

Also, this is a different bear than the first one. This is a bit bigger and definetly heavier. And it is roughly 31-32" tall. I want this bear!! It is beautiful!
I will be back to tell about Mon. nights hunt with my Dad. Here's a couple more trail cam pics. Thanks everyone.

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh Yeah... Thanks for tellin me to sit tight Nathan!!  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:      :clapper:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
wow, very nice bear. I can type a bit now, my heart rate is coming down. my wife is popping popcorn for the next chapter. good story, keep it coming !!!    :cool:
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
Ryan,

No problem, I am glad I was able to be a part of the hunt.  So you are pretty sure that was a different bear than what we previously thought?  

Now get on with the rest of the story.  It was fun reading this and knowing what happened, but now I am back being on the edge of my seat.

Nathan

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
You know, some websites have a deal that will e-mail you when a new post is made on a thread...I NEED that feature here...this HAS to end in a good way!

Offline Rocky Reimer

• Trad Bowhunter
Awesome! Awesome! THREAD!!  :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
This is just what I needed 3 weeks before my first bear hunt.Good stuff,and  I'll patiently waiting!  :campfire:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Most likely the bear bolted as there was another bear in the area, and most likely bigger.
Exciting isn't it!

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Steve O:
You know, some websites have a deal that will e-mail you when a new post is made on a thread...I NEED that feature here...this HAS to end in a good way!
In the FULL REPLY FORM there is a check-box at the bottom of the page that says,
Email Notification: emails sent to you whenever someone replies.

Check that box and you'll get an email when someone replies after you post.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Totally Awesome

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking good. I'll be waiting for more........
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hey!!!!! Steadman!!!!!

Less doing whatever else it is that you might be doing and more typing!!!!!!!!

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©