INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Hoggin' Adventures with Ray Hammond at Hog Heaven- June '08 (Pics)  (Read 7063 times)

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hoggin' Adventures with Ray Hammond at Hog Heaven- June '08 (Pics)
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Oh thanks JC.  Now I feel ALOT better about them.   :help:

Yeah...Drunken Elephants...That was funny!!!

Good job Barry keep it comin'.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
Great story guys. Sounds like an absolute blast. I've got to give this spot and stalk pig hunting a try. I've done the stand at a feeder thing but this sounds a lot more fun.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
Our group is booked for the end of Feb. and I'm already having trouble getting to sleep at night. This story is not helping matters much.

How about listing the bows, arrows, and broadheads used. Thanks.

Dave
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
Great pics Pat. I have one of the snake that I  can post.
 Barry I will leave the biscuts to you Southern Boys.  I cant pack enough hydration to eat one at camp.

Day 2 afternoon hunt.

Well back in the trucks and off for the afternoon hunt Saturday.  I got dropped off by a real nice piece of pines loaded with sign.   About an hour later the wind picked up so hard that when it blew through the trees it sounded like rain.  The sky began to swirl and change into the color of pure rage!!!!  Lightning bolts cracked and lit up the sky.  Man I love a storm.  Well the rain came and it came down hard. I had no were to go so I just kept up the stalk in my area.  I came up to a fire break and got sight of another Armadilla.  Now not knowing alot about these little guys I was told that they were bad news to other critters. Nest robbers and really good for nothin.  The property was full of them to the point of over population.  So with that thought in mind WACK!!!! another one down...
   I continued to walk and got soaked. I thought of the other guys and giggled at the tought we were all getting soaked... Well all of us except Mike and Tim who found a nice truck and shack to stay dry in.  YA KNOW JUST WHEN YA THINK YOU KNOW  A BUDDY!!! WHAM!! Hidden out during a rain storm.. Man.. kinda took the fun out of it.
   When the rain slowed down I worked down a over grown old logging road. It stopped at a nice field with a feeder in the far corner.  My cloths were kinda loud now that they were full of water.  I stopped to just look around and made out a huge big black object. I tried real hard to focus on it and made out the biggest pig I have ever seen. This mac daddy went at least 350 lbs maybe 400.  I dropped to one knee right now... He was at least 80 yards away and just eatin like crazy around this feeder.  Wow!! I have'nt even started the stalk and already began to fall apart... Take a deep breath and figure this out.. The only way to get to him was down a low area in the high grass.  I started to put the sneak on and was shaken real bad and had to stop and pep talk myself.... Now in the game I just kept sayin,BACON,BACON,BACON,BACON,BACON! AND MOVED IN.Durning the first leg of the stalk this big boy would just kick out and stop. He did this several times and had his back to me each time.  I got about 40 yards away and was real proud of myself...   Just off to my right I saw two whitetail does pick up thier heads just over the high weeds. Oh man!! They are gonna bust me!!!    Waiting for about 5 minuets I moved on. At 35 yards it felt too far for the shot and the bush I needed to be at was just another couple of yards away. That has to put me at less than 20 yards . The big boy was still eatin and workin the ground around the feeder.  All of a sudded that big boy with his tail end towards me, took off like a rocket into the pines. Man I was almost there!!!! A little disappointed at first until I looked behind me and saw how far I had gone.  I was 36 yards away from that Mac Daddy when he took off.
   Walkin around after that stalk I spotted a a piece of what looked like a knapped arrow head. I dug up one of the most beautiful most perfect heads I have ever seen. It looked like a spear head it was so big and flawless!! I was having so much fun I thought I was going to be in trouble.
I was huntin with three of the nicest guys and my buddy, on some of the greatest land ever, saw alot of game, shot two hogs with one arrow, stalked a Mac Daddy, and found an old point. Great times!!!!
  Tell ya about the Gator run in later.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
Danny Rowen,
   Ray talked about your hunt. It sounded like you guys had just as much fun as we did. I like the eater hogs better myself. I wore that arrow head necklace you and Dave Knipes put together for the 2007 St.Judes auction. It listed as the Mojo- necklace. Man, let me tell ya it has some Mojo. Had a great whitetail season with it also.
               Mike

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
Our group is booked for the end of Feb. and I'm already having trouble getting to sleep at night.
Just wait until you get there and close you eyes the first night. Sleep came hard with all the piggies dancing in my head.  Big pigs, little pigs, black pigs, brown pigs, all manner of pigs filled my vision when I shut my eyes.

As Tim mentioned he and I set out after breakfast saturday (lunch really since it was almost noon when we ate).  We had grand visions of pigs on the ground with nice bright red sides...

We had a plan to stalk in opposite directions around a big block and meet somewhere in the middle.  I think I didn't follow those directions very well because the first road I was supposed to turn on was a grass road the looked more like a break in the woods than a road so I proceeded on up the road. I heard pigs once but decided it was too thick to get in there amonst them at that spot. Spread your fingers apart and put your hands together and cover your eyes and you can see better than I could into that spot.

It wasn't long until I saw a reddish brown pig working the road back and forth, back and forth and every time he hit the tall grass I go on my horse and closed the distance.  He wander into the woods and I kept him in sight until he went over a little rise so I backed out to the road and went to the rise and peeked back in and he was gone! Vanished into thin air or thick woods. So I find the next armadillo and and play a nice game of stick the arrow thru the armadillo.  It was my first trad kill ever!  

Saturday afternoon's thunder storm wasn't exactly my idea of a good time and I really hate getting rained on but I sucked it up and stood under a cypress tree which blocked a lot of it.  After it quit raining I had found a bucket and had myself a sit down.  Wasn't a few minutes later I look and there is a doe 15 yards from me.  Again I had the right wind and she was nervous but couldn't see me and I think she was paying more attention to the squirrel that was raising cain in the tree in front of me than to me. Eventually after a few minutes of stare down she turned and wonder off.

As I was walking back to the road I jump a big freaking owl out of a tree and I almost wet myself when he lit outta there.  Man those things are quite once they clear the tree branches.  Bet their feathers would make very quite fletching...yeah, yeah before you start I know its illegal and all but still worthy of thinking about.

Back at the cabin the dinner was to die for!  T-bone steaks so good your tongue beats your brains out waiting for the next bite.  Corn on the cob and baked beans.  Dessert was grilled pineapple.  Ray was right about weight more when you left than when you got there!  More stories were told after dinner and we decided to not stay up as late tonight as we did friday night so we went to bed at 12:15.....
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
Dave-

I share your pain.  We just got back and Mike and I are thinking of all kinda ways to scam up the money and time to get back down there.

As for broadheads, Mike and I were both using Grizzly 160's.  Ray had told us how to get them sharp prior to coming down.  Once we got there, we each ask Ray to check the heads for sharpness.  Ray checked Mike's heads and shook his head, "no".  Ray proceeded to give us a demo of exactly how he gets them so sharp, sharpening up all of Mike's heads.  It really is simple and just requires a little practice.

After that, I handed Ray one of my heads.  Ray felt it and said, "That'll do!" and handed it back to me.  Oh Yeah!!!  Mike was like, "Com'on Ray couldn't you have at least stropped it". That started the ribbing right there on the spot.  Guess it didn't matter though.  In the end, my heads didn't really need to be that sharp to stick in the dirt.  And Mike, well, one sharp Grizzly that burned through two pigs at once....Pretty much speaks for itself!!

Great times!!!!!  Get on with the Gator story...
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »
Barry's right on with that.  We may not have lost any weight despite all the walking and sweating, but we sho-nuff lost a lot of sleep.  Once you get to talking with Ray and Squirrel Bait, you just don't want to stop.  'Bout gotta force yourself into bed.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Gator story.  Ya... Ha.
 Tim , Mike M and I were walking around the swamp and I stopped (JUST TO LOOK AROUND) in this depression of a dried river bed was a pretty large area of water. While standing there I looked into the water and saw a gator. It slammed its tail  into the water and went to the middle of the water lookin right at me.  Now I'm born and raised in New York and live in Ohio. No gators in my back round except the Bronx Zoo. I'm thinkin...cool...Gator right there...awsome!!  It didnt move and kept lookin right at me.. hhhmmm... Now I'm thinking they dont charge ,Right?? and dismissed it until the gator started coming right at me real slow. At that moment I devloped a new real respect for that one in the water. I lost my preditor feeling and took on the prey identity real quick like. I did the only thing I knew how to and yelled for Mike at the top of the ridge over lookin the pit.  I said,"Hey, Mike you see that?" He said , "Ya!" and giggled. What a buddy....
  I slowly backed out and on top of the ridge with Mike. It acted like a mama gator protecting a nest. Don't mess with mamma anything was going through my head.  Pretty cool experiance.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Now why you being nice...?  Mike is standing in the bottom of this depression taking a leak.  Squirrel Bait is up top and yells down to him to watch that gator.  Mike, thinks nothing of it but keeps on peeing as that gator gets closer.  All the sudden, Mike realizes this gator is maybe more of a threat than he thinks. Squirrel Bait tosses a stick at the gator to slow him down and don't you know that gator grabbed that stick right off with a fury, crashing water all over. Mike decides to stop mid-stream and git on out.  I was standing on the other side and hear all the commotion.  Mike is scooting up the other side and yells over to me, "Don't come down here.  We got a gator with a bad attitude."

And so it goes...  It's good to remember that you ain't always the predator when your hunting them southern swamps.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
:clapper:  A buddy hunting with us a couple years ago was slipping through some ankle deep water in the thick stuff.He glanced over and realized he had just sipped by a sleeping gator about 10ft long.He said he slipped backwards much faster than he had been going forward.  :biglaugh:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
shyeah.....I had that happen too, James...quite an experience standing next to a 15 foot long alligator you "thought" was an old cypress log...and he's too big for you to jump over..you gotta exit-STAGE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
James faster is no joke.  :D

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
All in all it was a great weekend with some new friends.  Ray and Squirrel Bait are top notch and know a thing or two bout them pigs.  It was a pleasure sharing a camp where egos were left at home and everyone got along just like we had all been friends for a long time. Tim, Mike and Pat you guys were great hunting partners and I would share camp with you guys anytime anywhere. Ray you were a most gracious host. Thank you! And Squirrel Bait can slaughter a pig like a mad man even when only using half a knife!!  Good times for sure that I will treasure for a long time come.  Or at leat until I get to go back and redeem myself by actually sticking a piggy!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
I don't claim to be much of a writer, so I'll make my posts somewhat brief.

Day 1 for me:

After getting all of our gear unpacked and slinging a few arrows we were all were anxious to get busy.  Ray gave us some pointers and the lay of the land and set us up in certain areas.  I was sharing an area with Mike.  Mike was watching the edges of a thick square parce adjacent to a field with a feeder in it and I opted to go through a the middle of the parcel stillhunting. It was might thick and mighty hot and I just kept the wind in my face.  I figured that I might kick something up to Mike if I didn't see anything.  That didn't happen and it was so noisy from being dried out that I didn't stand much of a chance of sneaking up on anything.  Turns out later on that Ray found a ton of wallows in there that I could have watched, but chasing the wind kept me from finding them.  I think I sweated out about liters of sweat and only replaced it with 2, so I opted to sneak down to the feeder around 5:30 to see if any pigs would show up.  I didn't have my watch and wasn't sure whether the feeder had gone off yet.  I have never hunted around a feeder and was about 15 yards away from the feeder facing away when it went off.  My pants were already wet from sweat, so no big deal.  Just had to face into the wind.  

Set up about 20 yards from the feeder watching a few trails leading into the field.  Hogs can't see you if your standing still so I'm golden, right?

About an hour after the feeder goes off I hear a racket coming from the swamp so I get to a kneeling position.  It's coming towards me and getting very loud, due to the dry conditions.  It's pretty dark under the canopy, so all I see coming over the rise about 20-25 yards in front of me to my left is a blob of black.  No kidding, I almost thought it was a bear at first.  It was a sow that was probably a little over 200-250 pounds.  She stops quartering toward me and looks around.  No problem.  Takes a few more steps and then another sow, about 175 pounds, follows.  Then come the little ones, about the size of the smaller one Mike shot.  The larger sow comes broadside and stops and looks directly at me.  I'm skylined like a dumb****.   Wind was perfect but they got agitated and moved away and out of range.  Probably could've taken a shot, but waitied too long.  OK, pretty cool.  Live and learn.  5-10 minutes later I hear more noise.  Same drill.  Over the rise, now about 10 yards away 2 more pigs.  1 about 250 pounds, the other a 350-400 pound monster with a snout like a friggin aardvark.  Same thing happens.  Skylined.  These two turn a 180 from me, go just down the hill and follow it to the left.  Smaller one stops briefly about 20 yards away and all I can see is his front torso from above the legs.  Quick snap off a shot, but it is pretty dark and I overestimate the distance and shoot over his shoulder.  Mad at myself for about a thousand things but extremely psyched about the opportunities, so I get out of there to try to preserve the area for a future hunt.  My first day hog hunting in a nutshell.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
I do have two slots left for an August 22,23,24 if anyone is interested.

Chris Ott from NY and his dad are driving down. maybe YOU could be the next storytellers on TG..with a velvet whitetail AND a hog????? Deer season is open in August.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by pdk25:
 I have never hunted around a feeder and was about 15 yards away from the feeder facing away when it went off.  My pants were already wet from sweat, so no big deal.  Just had to face into the wind.  
:biglaugh:  now THAT was funny, I don't care who you are!
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Saturday morning I was with Barry and Ray walking along a road along what is normally swamp but was pretty dried up.  We stopped for a few minutes while Ray was giving us a few pointers when we spotted two decent sized hogs (?175-200#) making their way toward us.  I went out front to try and make a stalk, but the wind changed and the scented Barry and Ray and were gone.  We decided to try to circle around and use the wind to get back on these hogs but instead came on Mike and squirrelbait.  We took some pics of Mike's hogs and then continued after the pigs we had previously seen, but the swirling winds didn't do us any favors and we started to make our way back to the truck for breakfast.  Jumped a nice boar out of a ditch on the way, but couldn't harvest it.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Saturday morning I was with Barry and Ray walking along a road along what is normally swamp but was pretty dried up.  We stopped for a few minutes while Ray was giving us a few pointers when we spotted two decent sized hogs (?175-200#) making their way toward us.  I went out front to try and make a stalk, but the wind changed and the scented Barry and Ray and were gone.  We decided to try to circle around and use the wind to get back on these hogs but instead came on Mike and squirrelbait.  We took some pics of Mike's hogs and then continued after the pigs we had previously seen, but the swirling winds didn't do us any favors and we started to make our way back to the truck for breakfast.  Jumped a nice boar out of a ditch on the way, but couldn't harvest it.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
Dang computer.  

Early afternoon found Ray and myself out putting up a stand and steps near where I was the bruiser the night before.  Driving in we kicked up a medium sized boar out of a ditch.  We set the stand up in a great spot.  Just in the woods from the feeder, overlooking the hog trailing running along the perimeter of the field.  Could also see the trails leading into the field for hogs coming from the swamp.  I had high hopes.  

By the time we got finished setting up the stand, it was time to gather the troops for the afternoon hunt.  Squirrelbait had laid claim to the sofa and could only be removed by Mike's interrogation techniques.  We headed out and I got up in my stand, thankful to be our of the heat and praying that the large boar would return for a tasty morsel of corn.  The feeder went off like clockwork, and this time I didn't jump nearly as far.  A little time goes by and here come the storm clouds with thunder rumbling in the distance.  At this point I've got mixed feelings.  We really need the rain to help with the stalking and to bring the hogs out, but I don't want any changes to these particular hogs routine.  I think to myself, this storm might pass over.  Sure it might. I get drenched and thunder and lightning are going off like crazy.  I look up and the tree that I'm in is just as tall as any of the surrounding trees.  Can you say lightning rod?  Being extremely foolish, I decided to stay in the stand.  I figure I would have to be pretty unlucky to get struck and I don't want to miss out on this hog.  Doing what I can to protect my fletching and thermocell from the rain, but otherwise I get soaked.  The rain lasts for maybe 30-45 minutes, but it is more than enough.  I wait and wait, but no piggies come.  $%^#^#%$# rain!  About 30 minutes of light remains and I decide I want to see if any hogs have hit the wallows along the road that we put corn in early in the day.  As I'm getting down I hear a hog squeal across the field.  I make my way away from the swamp to the road along the feeder field.  As I arrive at the road I see Tim about 100 yards ahead of me, looking into the woods to our left.  He moves away from me and I figure he has probably already checked the area out between him and me.  I start walking at a normal gait towards him to see if he knows why that hog squealed.  I get about 30 yards then stop dead in my tracks when I spot 3 hogs to my left about 5-10 yards away, completely oblivious to me.  I look away from the hogs to concentrate on my bow and load an arrow up in a nanosecond and I'm drawing as I look up.  The hogs were quartering toward me when I first saw them and starting to turn broadside.  Now two of them are facing directly away from me, but one is quartering away at about 5 yards.  I let her rip and man did that thing squeal.  I saw my arrow sticking out and a part of me thought, wow, no pass through at this range.  My AD trad arrow (courtesy of Ted Fry) with brass insert and 125 grain silver flame head for a total of 590 grains shot out of my RER TD Vortex(which is about 58# at my 29" draw) had about half of the shaft and my pink Fred Eichler style fletching waving at me as the hog darted just inside the woods and parallel to the road away from me for about 10 yards before crashing down.  I went up to Tim and told him the story.  I waited about 2 minutes (OK maybe a little less) and decided to check on the hog since it was getting dark and I forgot my flashlight at camp.  No trouble finding the hog.  Turned out to be an 82# boar.  The silver flame broadhead had stopped at the far shoulder.  A few more minutes of shooting light, so I quickly laid him next to a tree, took a pic, and continued down the road looking for more piggies.  None to be found, so I waited for my ride.  Squirretbait picked me up and we headed back to camp for a steak dinner.  Gotta love it.  First tradkill and a great meal.  What more could you ask for?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©