INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Hot California Hog Hunting  (Read 3731 times)

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hot California Hog Hunting
« on: June 25, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
For those of you who saw KWB's post a little while back about hog hunting at California's Tejon Ranch   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=061205
, I thought I'd post some pictures to give you an idea of the terrain and hunting conditions.  I went on the hunt this past weekend with a couple of buddies because I really needed to get out and wanted to get some experience at Tejon.  It is the closest, best free range hog hunting spot for me and I plan to get there more often in the future. I'd only been once about 5 years ago (my first ever hunt) on a guided hunt which was superb but pricey. These "Wild Pig Management Hunts" are a much better deal if you can DIY.

Tejon is California's equivalent of the famous King Ranch in Texas. It is 270,000 acres near Bakersfield in the high desert. It has every climate from desert to alpine (6,000 ft +).

Here's the entrance to the North side we were allowed to hunt...

The hogs are up in those north facing canyons. Can you see them?
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hot California Hog Hunting
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
Not yet...but there better be more pics and a good story coming...  :campfire:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
Our camping area was down on the flats to the right (west) of the above photo. This weekend was abnormally hot for southern CA. Close to 100 degrees near the beach! I'm glad we didn't have a thermometer where we were   :eek:    I do know it was hot and dusty.

This proved to be a very hard hunt due to 3 factors; 1) the heat, 2) a near full moon and 3) a truck without the cajones to get us where we needed to go. If you really want to hunt Tejon it helps if both the driver and vehicle have big ones! See the jeep trail near the top on the right?  That's a piece of cake.

Hogs are pretty much nocturnal and the only real times to hunt are very early and close to last light, especially when it gets hot. Sometimes in cooler weather you can find them out during the day. The full moon just makes feeding at night even more enjoyable for them.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
Ooooooooo preeeettttyyyy....

and then...and then???
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
Tejon is huge, I mean, intimidatingly huge especially when you have little or no prior experience. I'm pretty handy with maps (being a Geologist and all) and can get myself oriented quickly. I was a little disappointed in myself for not having a map handy on my very first hunt because I would have learned a lot more.

Tejon is one of the early California Spanish land grants and is unique because it has remained mostly intact. There are indian artifacts scattered about if you keep your eyes open. Here is a great petroglyph that is located off of the main haul road.

We noticed this metatate or mortero near an abandoned homestead. It is actually tipped on its side and looks like it was bulldozed into a pile with the other rocks. The indians in southern CA lived mainly off of acorns. They used rocks to grind it into meal and over time these bowls were created. You can find them throughout the coastal range.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
The hunting technique of choice is truly spot and stalk. You need to drive up to the top and glass across canyons looking under trees, bushes and against rocks looking for bedded or feeding hogs. Spotting them is only the first step figuring out how to get to them, from a downwind direction is the real trick!

While it is natural to think that sitting a water hole would be a good idea in this heat, it really isn't. There was still a fair amount of flowing water in the upper canyons and due to the cattle ranching, there are lots of water troughs. We did sit along one creek the first night as there was a lot of hog sign and we had a good wind. No hogs but we did have an elk bull and cow come to within 20 yards of us. I'll post a picture once I get it from my friend...

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
Beautiful country.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
Camo can be a challenge here. It can be totally dry, yellow grass or dark timber. I chose my Sitka ASAT for the sweat wicking ability. I was still crazy from the heat though...

I was hunting with my Thermal. I liked the looks of the canyon below and checked it out our last morning...

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
Here are some other pretty shots of the place...

Morning

Evening

Offline mp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
keep'er coming!
"let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith"
— Hebrews 12:1-2

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
With the long days we had absolutely no camp time. Up at 3 back by 9:30. No open fires due to extreme fire hazard too. I didn't mind because to me we were hunting, not camping. If KWB is targeting the late fall or early spring, it would be a different story.

A little wildlife...

I saw this mulie doe as I was climbing over a ridge to get to the canyon you see behind my bow in the picture above the next morning.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
Keep typing brother!!!

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »
We got a little insight from a gentleman named Darrel who pretty much runs the hog hunting program for Tejon. He took us to a ridgetop during the afternoon with the idea of trying to jump some sleeping pigs. They like to bed near the top of north facing ridges because of the shade and breeze. My two buddies and I spread out along the top of a large bowl and stalked as slowly and quietly as possible down toward the jeep trail about 1 mile and 1,000 feet down.

There were loads of beds near the top third of the ridge but they were empty and didn't look too fresh. The rest of the decent was through an ocean of thorny, wild CA gooseberry bushes. They were so thick you could only make out game trails here and there where they poked out. The rest of the time you were wading through and stomping over them. Not the best conditions for stalking. I've been nursing a sore hip lately and at a certain point it got to the point of just gutting it out to the bottom. No hogs seen or busted.

Unfortunately, that was the story of this trip. There were few hogs taken by the group of about 30 bow hunters. And those were generally taken by guys who really knew the place. I came home on Sunday early enough to celebrate my daughter's 8th birthday and then go to the beach to wash away the dust. My family asked if I had had fun. Well considering that we took no hogs, worked our tails off and sweated our brains out, I had to say, "heck yeah I had fun!"

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
Great pics and story! It looks like you had a blast!  ;)  
Thanks for sharing!  :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
Glad you had a good time even if you didn't score.  Sure is some beautiful land over there on the other coast!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
Great pics. Looks like a wonderful place to spend a week or two.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
It would be great to spend a couple of weeks learning the ins and outs of this place that's for sure!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
Hey Beach hows it going sounds like a good time. Ill be heading up to Tejon March 13-15 2009. Belive it or not i won a fully guided hunt in a raffel and cant wait to get up there.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
Wouldn't you be headed DOWN to Tejon?   :D  

You're a lucky man. The guided hunts are great. The guides know this place inside and out and are fearless driving the jeep trails. The cabins are luxurious and they feed you like a king. Let me know if they have room that weekend and I'll save my pennys and join ya! Learn all you can to prep yourself for the DIY management hunts which are a lot less expensive. With Choppers closing this is the last, best free range hog hunt around I think.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Bout as beautiful country as Ive ever seen.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©