INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Floodwater carp and other encounters  (Read 3867 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Floodwater carp and other encounters
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
I tried to pick out the bigger fish, but none of them were huge. Hopefully a solid head or gill plate shot would keep the tip of my arrow from bending and dulling on the hard pan road inches under the water.

I was pretty impressed with the Muzzy Gar point as it went through the fish and struck the road anyway, but remained in very good shape.

I'd shot several fish when I noticed a car pull in near my truck. Keeping an eye open in that direction (there's some real s***bums in this area) I soon saw a Sheriff's deputy round the back of my truck.

Dragging my most recent fish back to the dry section of the road for arrow removal I met the deputy who was all smiles and good nature... I hate to say that that is almost a surprise these days.

He was very interested in the process and we chatted for quite a while and when his buddy pulled up we continued the conversation.

Finally he got to his point and apologetically told me I'd have to move along as his orders were to keep people away from the rising water for safety sake.

I was disappointed to say the least, but it was time to get home anyway.

Once again I asked for a favor and had the deputy take my picture with my new catch.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
First pic looks like old 79 about 5 minutes from my house.  If you ever need a camera man, I help.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
Glenn... we'll have to shoot a few arrows some day.

That last pic is the Kings lake road.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Great pictures Charlie even if ya did'nt take them  :D  Good to see you are well and having fun  :thumbsup:  

Brent

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
Brent... when you get settled, you'll have to get in contact with my son. He's in the Phoenix area and could use a hunting partner.

I'll bet they have carp out there too. LOL It sure seems like pretty country.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
You got a PM Charlie  :thumbsup:

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Great story and pics as always Charlie...but I hear it's 14 years bad luck to drill a hole in a Sunbear   :biglaugh:  Glad you and Miss Sunnybear are weathering the storm, and even making some lemonade with those lemons.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I did cringe a little bit when I put the bow in the drill press.

I just made sure it was squarely through the handle overlay so that if I ever want to I can just grind off the overlay, add a new one and voila, good as new.

It does seem to make a difference in my bowfishing as I had very few misses. Maybe it was just because I'd developed a habit of snap shooting when bowfishing and I've been working on curing that little snafu.
Regardless, it's smooth drawing, has plenty of power, and fits my hand just right.

I moved around to a few different places after this story took place and it became increasingly more difficult to get to the water.

The main north/south highway is now closed with water over the road and any side roads are blocked by barricades and National Guardmen.

My old house in town is flooded up to the back deck and the river has finally inundated the high side of town.

The misses and I are safely tucked into our new house some 200 ft above the river bottoms.

I'm shifting my focus to squirrel hunting as soon as I get rid of this dang tennis elbow thing I've got going on.

So stay tuned.    :wavey:    :campfire:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
:clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
Looks like fun Charlie!! Get ready for more water,rained 8-9" here last nite! Most of it in bout 4 hours!!  :help:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
Cool Mo DEE!

:wavey:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
Didn't look like that elbow hurt your shooting too much.  

I may have to come see you and bring the ultrasound machine....along with my bow.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Gary Norris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
Hey Lamb,
Nice story .  The only thing is - I think I've seen that Carp before at Bean Lake just north of here.  You did have a different colored shirt on.

Glad you and your family are safe.  

You are "The story teller"

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
Good to see that you've gotten that computing machine up and running! Also good to see you wencing through a good shoot-out. I know all too well about shooting with pain. The shoulder lets me know it's there every day.

Dry, dry, dry is the word around here. I think I saw a lizzard fighting a snake over a canteen the other day.  :D   It hasn't rained a measurable amount since September.

While you've been wacking fish I've been doing some scouting for Jason Westbrock. He'll be here on the 4 th of July weekend again this year like he did with you and I last year. No problem finding hogs! The corn is still standing in the fields for a few more weeks and with the drought going on all you have to do is hunt the trails between the standing corn and the remaining few water holes. I shot this guy at the edge of a water hole a few nights ago as darkness strangled the life from another day.

This bow is a nocturnal Sunbear.

See how relaxed she looks laying next to my pig in the darkness.  :rolleyes:   Thanks again for the great bow Charlie! She works really well with my teflon coated El Grandes! Talk to you soon.   :wavey:   Hello to the rest of the Gang!  :thumbsup:  CK

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
Great Story Mr. Lamb, Nice fish too.

Great looking Bow & Hog You got there CK....

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
Good times Charlie! Looks like a blast hunting the roads like that!  :D

Hey Curtis! You're looking well li'l buddy, hope you're not too dessicated. That's a fine looking hog  :thumbsup:  (the bow's even nicer  ;)  )
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
Good lookin hog there buddy. Wish I could wangle my way down there for some of that. I've got another Sunbear up here that ain't afraid of the dark.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
Dang! CK on TG. Been a while little brother. I see you are still a hog's nightmare. Great looking bow and piggy.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
:D   Sorry to have been absent.

Turning my hobby into a business has left me with a real need to disconnect after hunting season is over. I just needed to find some balance in all this. AND I had two hard drive crashes in two old computers. Lost everything and got kinda bitter towards the computer thangy.

Yea, I'm still wacking pigs and I'm sure Charlie is still finding some flood water with some fish.  :saywhat:   I hear ol' Butch found a honey hole that he had to show Charlie yesterday.  :biglaugh:  

Call me Shaun. I've tried for quite awhile but it seems the towers are clogged with flood calls out your way. Glad to know you are alright and still afloat. CK

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
Dang Curtis, nice hog!!! Is it next Thursday yet?   :pray:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©