INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: I have two sons....a Canadian bear hunting adventure  (Read 7856 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
I have two sons....a Canadian bear hunting adventure
« on: June 17, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
They aren't actually my children, but I couldn't love them any more if they were.

One is Josh- 14, he's the son of my brother in law. Since a very young man, whenever he is around, we are inseparable. He's "my huntin' buddy". He's a real get-after- it type of young man- he's a fast learner. I got him a starter longbow and then a recurve (like his uncle Ray) and he was off to the races. I think he won or placed second in about 90% of the 3D shoots we went to together.

He's a young man who works hard at school, loves his Mom and Dad, and is just plain wonderful to be around with an enthusiasm for life and the outdoors that is unmatched in anyone else I know.

This story, however, is about my other "son". His dad says I am his son's "other father" so I don't feel bad about claiming him! His name is Stiles. I've known him since he was a little fella, and he's one of a kind. A tall athletic good looking fellow that everyone takes to like ducks to water.

He's exceptionally well mannered, kind to everyone, and has his father's ability to make EVERYONE know that when he is talking with you, you are genuinely the most important person on earth to him at that moment. A bright student and exceptional athlete, but mostly just one fine human being any parent would be proud of.

Stiles was asked by his dad what he wanted for a high school graduation present...he could have anything within reason.

He wanted to go on a bowhunting adventure with his dad, and Mr. Ray. So we were off to the races. He got a new recurve, and arrows, and practice started in earnest. We explored all kinds of hunting opportunities and decided a spring bear hunt would give us the chance to spend a lot of time together, and still have a real hunt, without the early morning pressure associated with fall hunting of anything.

We looked at a lot of camps and decided something remote, away from phones and cars and tv and all that sort of normal everyday world stuff would be the best choice- so we picked a fella named Rob...in northern Saskatchewan. He has a reputation for producing real boomer bears that don't know anything about people and houses and cars...real wilderness bears.

We made arrangements, and spent the next year getting ready.

Last week, our adventure began.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I have two sons....a Canadian bear hunting adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
And then?????
I like where this is headed. Can't wait for the rest of the story. Skippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
A guy named Rob...who just happens to run one of the more famous bear hunting concessions in the free world?    :campfire:  

Get me a cold one while you are up.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
I hope there's lots of pics.  :)
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
Comon man...youre killin me.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
On Saturday, June 7th, Stiles, his father, uncle and I arrived in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and checked into our hotel.

As you can imagine, the anticipation was at a fever pitch. We had a nice dinner and got some sleep. The next day we were flying into the town of Stony Rapids, to catch a float plane to our destination lake out in the bush.

The only problem was that when we arrived at the airport we were told the plane had already left- without us on it!!! The schedule had been changed. Crestfallen, we contacted Rob, and together we decided we would figure out who to blame later- right now we needed to get on standby for the next morning's flight, which we did. Back to the hotel, and then another nice dinner and we turned in, as the flight out would be very early if we were lucky enough to get on it.

We did, and to our surprise, as we were making our approach to land, the earth below looked like a war zone. Smoke, haze, and scorched earth were everywhere. The previous Friday afternoon a small rainstorm zapped the ground with a lightning bolt and a fire started. Water bombers were called, and preparations made to put the fire out on Saturday morning.

Only Mother Nature had other plans- gail force winds drove the fire into a huge blaze spreading it out and making it impossible for the few water bombers to make a dent in it. All this was enhanced by the fact that since last fall, nearly no rain has fallen in northern Saskatchewan...making everything tinder dry.

“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »
Rob's wife Rose was waiting for us with her big helper- a four year old blonde cutie pie with rosey cheeks and a shy smile...so we piled in and went to the general store to get our tags and hunting and fishing licenses.

Then Rose took us to her home for a cold cut lunch and some conversation while we waited for our float plane.

a 20 minute float plane ride later we were on "our" lake for the week. We met the camp boss, Adam, and his staff that included his wife Julie (who can make anything taste like cordon bleu) Nathan, a fishing and hunting guide and all around tough as nails fella to have around...Kentrock- a whitetail guide from Carrot River up to help out with Rob's operation, as well as little Naomi, Adam and Julie's 9 year old daughter- the camp mascot/cheerleader and all-round fun maker!

Adam, left and Nathan, right...making 7 up walleye bites! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Also in camp was Chris, a nice young man from the Hudson Valley of NY state, there for his first bear hunt.

We got situated in our tents, checked out the camp which had a nice hot portable shower,targets to practice on, a generator, a freezer for our perishables, boats for running around the lake putting up baits and for fishing, a cook tent for eating and getting away from the bugs, and all our tents had cots with big oversized pads for sleeping.

We then strung up bows and started flinging arrows in preparation for our first afternoon hunt.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
I'm on my way!!

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 04:51:00 AM »
Great story Ray! Can not wait to read more.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 05:14:00 AM »
The beginning of a classic......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 05:29:00 AM »
Ok Ray, my good friend, do not keep us in suspense too long,LOL. Good to see you back and hope you had a great trip.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »
I guess if you can survive until the next day waiting for another plane, I (we) can wait for you to continue the story....... still waiting.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »
This is gonna be a good one! Great story so far Ray! Looking forward to the rest!  ;)   :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »
I got a full cup of coffee and ready for the 'rest of the story'!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
Great story!  Can't wait till I read the rest  :clapper:    :coffee:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
After a late lunch we packed up and headed out- Stiles going to a stand by himself, and Andrew and I sitting in a ground blind together.

Other than a beaver slapping its tail and some ducks loons and geese, our spot was quiet. Chris, our NY friend, had plenty of action though!

He had a hot sow on his bait and took advantage of it....claiming a beautiful 380 lb blonde bear with his other kind of bow, if you know what I mean. I could show you pictures but restrictions won't allow that.

The next morning dawned with a red sky due to thick smoke in the air.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
We got some target practice in after breakfast, then decided to go out walleye and pike fishing.

Yours truly was the master of the "proper tongue" technique so necessary to catching fish, and I smoked the others in the boat with my flawless fishing skill - catching pike after pike on the yellow and red "five of diamonds" spoon.      :bigsmyl:            :thumbsup:            :biglaugh:      

As the day warmed up, we could also notice the fire building in intensity over the hill at the far edge of the lake, rising higher and getting darker, reaching well up to big thundercloud height in the noonday sky.

The wind also heightened, and before long the far shore was smothered in dark thick smoke.

We beat it back to camp just in time to hear that we needed to evacuate, but because of the thick smoke they couldnt allow a float plane to come in so we had to do it over land!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
This adventure is getting quite heated. Can't wait for the "rest of the story"!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
Wait!! they can't do this,I was there, no wait, that was you Ray, telling a great story. I hope this has a good ending for you.
              Kurt

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
Great stuff so far. Looking forward to the rest of the story.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©